Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

twobits
Guru

Re: Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote: I'm no expert (twobits, where are ya man?) but I would think that 1.2 mil would cover nicely option 3. Anything more would likely have to come from taxes or borrowing and I think the city has enough in debts at this time. .

Sarcasm noted XT. Additional funding does not have to come from additional taxation or borrowing. I seem to recall that these are not options. Additional funding would likely come from the Capital Works budget. The city budgets for such improvements every year and the most pressing or worthy get funded. One could certainly argue that this project is not a priority over other sewer or roadworks projects that are funded by the capital works budget but that is all. This is where Clifford goes off track with his fear mongering of higher taxation, borrowing, or more parking meters.
Personally,options one and two are non starters for me. With the info available to date, I would go with number four.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Three reasons why I am supporting Option#3

1. It maintains two way traffic
2. It maintains the angle parking we have now
3. It is the cheapest of the four options on the table.

For the cost of a bull dozer and some turf I also like the idea of restoring Lakawana Park so it is useable again and getting rid of those ridiculously stupid mounds of dead grass that taxpayers got duped into paying for as art.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Ok, the numbers were announced today. Options 1 and 2 are close to 7 million (plus nobody seems to favor either); option 3 costs $75,000 and option 4 costs $550,000. Three and four also include the 1.2 million dollar govt grant. There ARE provisions to pull from one option to another. I think the general public will want to go with 3; certainly my choice. It was also confirmed that the money won't come from future taxes; the money is already in the public works budget (doubt that would apply to options 1 and 2). However, if option 3 were chosen, over #4, thats a savings of $475,000 and that money could be put to good use in other areas of the city, in my opinion. Have you driven down Government Street lately? The patchwork pavement is horrible; it needs a complete repaving job. Im sure there are other areas of the city that could also use work. I doubt that the public will actually get to VOTE on the options, so lets hope that the politicians listen to those that sign petitions and speak out.
save lakeshore drive

Post by save lakeshore drive »

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
save lakeshore drive

Post by save lakeshore drive »

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

I get the impression, that some of the anti-Lakeshore Drive improvement group, who organize some of the anti-rallies, are a small group old car buffs, who like to display their beautiful old cars along the road there (Those are wonderful cars!). I just hope that in the end, a balanced decision is made that reflects that group and the silent majority, some of who see the need to improve the beach pathway and other aspects of this area. The current pathway is very inadequate, to the point of being unsafe in places, and the trees are in a bad state. This is more than an issue of providing car parking (I support mostly angle parking and two-way traffic). Hopefully the City spends enough to do a decent job of it.

Remember in the 1990's when there was debate about whether to build a new arena, or fix up the old one for $5 million. Well, we did the band-aid on the old arena for $5 million and then a few years later decided that this still wasn't good enough and built SOEC. The first $5 million was for what? Now we have four arenas in our small city.

My point is, don't throw good money after bad, by doing a band-aid treatment. If the Lakeshore is going to be improved, do it right the first time and save money in the long-run.

Public debate is healthy and brings out more ideas. Hopefully the best of all the ideas is found and acted upon.
:9923:
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

nepal wrote:.
I get the impression, that some of the anti-Lakeshore Drive improvement group, who organize some of the anti-rallies, are a small group [of] old car buffs, who like to display their beautiful old cars along the road there (Those are wonderful cars!).

Yup.
Penticton is rife with stuck in the mud types.

If we're to be a tourist town, we'd better stop listening to the fuddy duddy retirees.
All they want is status quo - what do they care? They don't have to make a living anymore.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

coolworx wrote:
nepal wrote:.
I get the impression, that some of the anti-Lakeshore Drive improvement group, who organize some of the anti-rallies, are a small group [of] old car buffs, who like to display their beautiful old cars along the road there (Those are wonderful cars!).

Yup.
Penticton is rife with stuck in the mud types.

If we're to be a tourist town, we'd better stop listening to the fuddy duddy retirees.
All they want is status quo - what do they care? They don't have to make a living anymore.

I don't recall seeing many, if ANY letters in the papers or on here, re Lakeshore drive of those folks who are IN FAVOUR of plans 1 and 2, (the 7 million dollar ones). Even the mayor is now backpeddling (electioneering most likely) saying that the city does NOT have funds for plans 1 and 2. Nothing wrong with plan 3 and maybe pull a few items from 4 (ie: bulldoze the grass mounds in Lakawanna) for reasonable expenditures. Don't forget that some of these retirees as you refer to (Im not one of them) are also trying to avoid sticking the younger generation with huge debt loads. I think Penticton has quite enough debt on their hands for the next while. ps: I would bet that folks who are in favour of bulldozing the mounds would be happy to "do it ourselves". Everyone bring a shovel down on a weekend and we would get rid of that eyesore in a hurry.
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

XT225 wrote:I don't recall seeing many, if ANY letters in the papers or on here, re Lakeshore drive of those folks who are IN FAVOUR of plans 1 and 2

What can I say? Cranks crank.

I wish I had the time to write Elvena Slump letters to the editor, but I juggle two jobs to live in "a place to live forever".

I'm sure Gramps, with the Roadrunner Hemi in the garage, has more time to *bleep* about changes to what has always been.
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

XT225 wrote: Don't forget that some of these retirees as you refer to are also trying to avoid sticking the younger generation with huge debt loads.

LOL.
Are you kidding?

The current crop of baby boomer retirees are the most scurrilous sack of self serving pukes to ever slither across the social landscape.

They did all the drugs they wanted, then started the drug war.
They railed against inequality when they risked being drafted, and then became Gorden Gecko.
They're amoral locusts. Sell outs of the highest order.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

I like seeing the nice old cars along Lakrshore :-)
Last edited by nepal on Oct 14th, 2012, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Whatever option, the finances need to make sense, otherwise don't do it now, or phase it. I am all for paying down existing debt, depending on the terms. I dislike election projects.
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

nepal wrote:Whatever option, the finances need to make sense.

And evidently that means it better not cost the average Redwing resident one red cent.

Arizona Resident for half the year wrote:I'm on a fixed income! Waaaah!
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

nepal wrote:I like seeing the nice old cars along Lakrshore :-)

So do I. That is not the point.

Old cars on one weekend a summer does not a destination make.
We're dying on the vine here, and the stodgy are stifling us.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Great turnout last night. Very encouraged to see the strong support for Option #3. Common sense still exists in Penticton.

Return to “Central Okanagan”