Monday, December 22nd1.7°C
24563

Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

South Okanagan topics including Summerland, Naramata, Penticton, Okanagan Falls, Oliver, Osoyoos, and Keremeos.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Jo, ferri, Triple 6

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby twobits » Nov 23rd, 2012, 5:35 am

XT225 wrote: This Govt will be GONE come May 2013 anyways, so lets take them to court and stall it til then. Not sure on the NDP feelings on it but what we need is a "Government who will listen", period. This minister of BC Trails appears to have his mind made up and not listening. Perhaps threats of voting NDP might wake him up?


XT, did ya happen to notice who the local NDP candidate is? Dick Canning, well known naturalist who leads groups on hiking tours. What position do you think he is likely to take on use of the KVR? I find it humerous that you would suggest he might lobby for your vehicle or ATV use in the back country.
I hear Dan enjoys riding his quads though :dyinglaughing:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3968
Likes: 131 posts
Liked in: 691 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby southy » Nov 23rd, 2012, 7:48 am

Pretty big jump there two bits ... Looks like a move RIGHT out of your Liberal play book!
southy
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 953
Likes: 89 posts
Liked in: 172 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 3:14 pm

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby XT225 » Nov 23rd, 2012, 7:57 am

twobits wrote:
XT225 wrote: This Govt will be GONE come May 2013 anyways, so lets take them to court and stall it til then. Not sure on the NDP feelings on it but what we need is a "Government who will listen", period. This minister of BC Trails appears to have his mind made up and not listening. Perhaps threats of voting NDP might wake him up?


XT, did ya happen to notice who the local NDP candidate is? Dick Canning, well known naturalist who leads groups on hiking tours. What position do you think he is likely to take on use of the KVR? I find it humerous that you would suggest he might lobby for your vehicle or ATV use in the back country.
I hear Dan enjoys riding his quads though :dyinglaughing:


Yes I'm well aware of who the NDP candidate now is, twobits. I never mentioned him, as I'm not too pleased with who was chosen. I'm not a tree hugger or flower lover. Dick might not care to represent us in our viewpoint but he MIGHT just be the kind of person who would listen and if enough people stated to him their desire to keep the KVR open to all, maybe he would take that message to Victoria. Dan, on the other hand has a terrible record of not listening to the electorate and would never support our viewpoints. I'm still dealing internally with the bitter decision that we might have to face soon - vote for Dan; its the only way to get him the heck outta Dodge. The South Okanagan will not reap many benefits from the Province very soon as the NDP Provincially won't listen to lil ol Dan from the Liberal party. ps: if what you say is true re Dan enjoying riding a quad, why isn't he taking a stand on the KVR? Some of his staff are working on it; why not him? Is he afraid that perhaps more people support removing motorized vehicles and that he might lose votes if he took a stand? That would be Dan for ya.
Last edited by XT225 on Nov 23rd, 2012, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
XT225
Übergod
 
Posts: 1672
Likes: 420 posts
Liked in: 201 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby Rwede » Nov 23rd, 2012, 8:43 am

The NDP has been anti-access forever, and that won't change in the future. Expect vast areas of the province to be locked off, just as they did in the 1990s putting 14% of the land base off limits. You can bet your last dollar that Canning won't be in favour of letting us enjoy the KVR the way we have been for all these years.
You are not stupid, I just think you have bad luck when thinking.

George+ says: "Makes no sense to me.
But that is not unusual."
User avatar
Rwede
Guru
 
Posts: 8161
Likes: 3396 posts
Liked in: 1188 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:49 am

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby Poindexter » Nov 23rd, 2012, 8:46 am

They aren't off limits to those of us who don't require a 4X4 wheelchair to get around.

No offence to those who actually require a wheelchair...
User avatar
Poindexter
Übergod
 
Posts: 1932
Likes: 152 posts
Liked in: 291 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 10:44 am

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby Rwede » Nov 23rd, 2012, 10:34 am

Crown land should be accessible to every citizen in this province, including those who need a wheelchair or some other form of assistance to get out there and enjoy our backcountry.
You are not stupid, I just think you have bad luck when thinking.

George+ says: "Makes no sense to me.
But that is not unusual."
User avatar
Rwede
Guru
 
Posts: 8161
Likes: 3396 posts
Liked in: 1188 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:49 am

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby XT225 » Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:38 am

Rwede wrote:Crown land should be accessible to every citizen in this province, including those who need a wheelchair or some other form of assistance to get out there and enjoy our backcountry.


I totally agree with you on this one, Rwede. Access for ALL is what we need here. I travel the KVR a LOT and off season (anything other than July and August) you will see many more motorized users up there than bicycles; hands down. It is true that some idiots seem to ruin it for everyone (ie: someone doing donuts on a mc or quad) but for the most part, everyone that I see is responsible. I wouldnt think of racing past any hikers/cyclists on my quad, raising a cloud of dust. Always slow right down to a crawl and be respectful. All of us shouldn't have to suffer because of a few idiots behaviour. Im not against licensing off-road vehicles with plates, either; perhaps then a few of the offenders could get nailed. I would respect Dan Ashton (can't believe I'm saying that) if he would take a stand on this issue; after all it IS partially in his area of responsibility.
XT225
Übergod
 
Posts: 1672
Likes: 420 posts
Liked in: 201 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby glassmaster » Nov 23rd, 2012, 5:06 pm

I would rather hear what Dick Canning has to say on the issue ... however ... I think will all know how he would respond.
glassmaster
Übergod
 
Posts: 1031
Likes: 12 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2010, 9:58 am

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby Corneliousrooster » Nov 23rd, 2012, 5:33 pm

XT225 wrote: I travel the KVR a LOT and off season (anything other than July and August) you will see many more motorized users up there than bicycles; hands down.


Thats just because the majority don't have the mental or physical fortitude to mobilize themselves without a gas powered contraption. Yay obesity!
User avatar
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2353
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 58 posts
Joined: Oct 14th, 2008, 9:20 am

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby southy » Nov 23rd, 2012, 6:03 pm

glassmaster wrote:I would rather hear what Dick Canning has to say on the issue ... however ... I think will all know how he would respond.I would rather hear what Dick Canning has to say on the issue ... however ... I think will all know how he would respond.


I am amazed that both twobits and you glassmaster have this inside information on Dick Canning. Please do tell us what you know??? You say "WE all know how he would respond" ... sorry to say I for one do not know how he or your buddy Ashton would respond. Stop generalizing and give us some facts if you know so much. It think both Canning and Ashton both owe us their opinion on this issue. I am attempting to get hold of both to see if they will respond. Will post what I find out. A hell of alot better than trying to stir the pot with party favoritism.
southy
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 953
Likes: 89 posts
Liked in: 172 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 3:14 pm

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby glassmaster » Nov 23rd, 2012, 6:41 pm

Do let us know how they respond to your question Southy ..... inquiring minds want to know.
glassmaster
Übergod
 
Posts: 1031
Likes: 12 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2010, 9:58 am

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby glassmaster » Nov 23rd, 2012, 6:50 pm

Rwede wrote:The NDP has been anti-access forever, and that won't change in the future. Expect vast areas of the province to be locked off, just as they did in the 1990s putting 14% of the land base off limits. You can bet your last dollar that Canning won't be in favour of letting us enjoy the KVR the way we have been for all these years.



Agreed.
glassmaster
Übergod
 
Posts: 1031
Likes: 12 posts
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Jan 19th, 2010, 9:58 am

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby XT225 » Nov 23rd, 2012, 10:25 pm

southy wrote:
glassmaster wrote:I would rather hear what Dick Canning has to say on the issue ... however ... I think will all know how he would respond.I would rather hear what Dick Canning has to say on the issue ... however ... I think will all know how he would respond.


I am amazed that both twobits and you glassmaster have this inside information on Dick Canning. Please do tell us what you know??? You say "WE all know how he would respond" ... sorry to say I for one do not know how he or your buddy Ashton would respond. Stop generalizing and give us some facts if you know so much. It think both Canning and Ashton both owe us their opinion on this issue. I am attempting to get hold of both to see if they will respond. Will post what I find out. A hell of alot better than trying to stir the pot with party favoritism.



Agree with you, Southy. I have never met Dick Cannings so just because he may represent the NDP does NOT mean he wont bring our views regarding open access to the table and represent us, like he is supposed to listen to the populace. I suspect Ashton will not take a stand on this one, as he would be afraid of losing votes from the side that he disagrees with. Maybe Cannings won't take a stand on it either. Its hard to say just how many people are FOR access for everyone and how many are against it. I presently only know of one petition ongoing and its to KEEP access open.
XT225
Übergod
 
Posts: 1672
Likes: 420 posts
Liked in: 201 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby twobits » Nov 24th, 2012, 6:32 am

*removed/Jo*
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3968
Likes: 131 posts
Liked in: 691 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

Re: Let's heat the KVR trail for all-season riding

Postby twobits » Nov 24th, 2012, 9:35 am

southy wrote:I am amazed that both twobits and you glassmaster have this inside information on Dick Canning. Please do tell us what you know??? You say "WE all know how he would respond" ... sorry to say I for one do not know how he or your buddy Ashton would respond. Stop generalizing and give us some facts if you know so much. It think both Canning and Ashton both owe us their opinion on this issue. I am attempting to get hold of both to see if they will respond. Will post what I find out. A hell of alot better than trying to stir the pot with party favoritism.


Nope no inside info. Just read stuff like this and draw my own conclusions of whether he would be likely to oppose or support the use of motorized vehicles in the backcountry. Since you were reluctant in previous threads to phone the soec or city hall to get information I look forward to your response from Mr Canning on the subject.

http://dickcannings.com/about/
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3968
Likes: 131 posts
Liked in: 691 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

PreviousNext

Return to Penticton / South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest