Summerland Seniors Village Problem

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Summerland Seniors Village Problem

Post by Queen K »

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/8830 ... efuses-CPR

Of course this would never happen here right? Right?

Well, think again. You would not believe what some policies are.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Queen K wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/World/88307/Resident-dies-when-nurse-refuses-CPR

Of course this would never happen here right? Right?

Well, think again. You would not believe what some policies are.

I can see both sides on this event. There is certainly going to be some lively and needed debate and it will most likely steer towards insurance companies and liability. Just how far do good samaritan laws go in protecting a health care professional not employed in that capacity? I think we have all heard stories of doctors/nurses refusing to treat until the patient crosses the hospital door threshold and it's all about liability and how litigeous our society has unfortunately become.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I agree twobits, emotions run high with the loss of a loved one and the "somebody is to blame for this" mindset is all too common a focus for those emotions. It is all too likely that someone could end up losing their career and more for what many see as an obligation to help. On the same token, as Queen K implies, corporate policy too often puts the legal "safety" of the business ahead of the individual safety of their clients.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Dear Baby Boomer kids of seniors,

TOP TEN WAYS TO PREVENT GETTING CALLS FROM THE RN:

1. Keep your parent SUPPLIED with every day comforts that that they need to survive. That means, oh I don't know, everything from Gold Bond powder, toothpaste, TP, Q-tips and other personal stuff. No, it's not fun to buy, but hey shopping isn't fun. (I'm sorry, a situation arose this weekend I'm abit touchy about the supplies issue right now).

Get mom/dads pharmacy set up to be able to send supplies with their blisterpacks if that is possible. :discodance:

2. Inquire about Lifeline. What it is, what it costs, how you can get it into your mom and dads life. Oh, BEFORE they develope mild dementia so that it becomes an ingrained part of their life and they take to it easier. Don't wait for an RN to call to say you parent spent hours on a bedroom/bathroom/livingroom floor.

3. Call more often. Okay if you are a single child, even a single surviving child, that may not be daily, but more often. Set up a calling schedule of SOME SORT between you and your siblings. If you have problems with your brothers and sisters, get over it. Many calls to 911 are not 911 calls, believe it or not, if you have to post a sign on the phone that reads, "MOM, don't call 911" because she calls because it gets her attention, whose fault is that?

4. Visit more often. Know their schedule. OH Ya, mom and dad may not have a job anymore, but if they live in any independant living situation, or a long term assisted living facility, they still have a schedule. Even ice cream days, Tuesdays, is a schedule. Appts, entertainment and personal assistance is scheduled.

Visiting helps you see things. Broken dishes, furniture, clothing not washed, vagueness, pills on the floor, untaken meds still in blisterpacks, you know see things like that and stuff.

5. Be considering their next stage in life living circumstances sooner than later. Review what is available, don't assume things have remained the same. What you remember about a facility 20 years ago, may be completely wrong now. Remember there are waitlists. No one just gets in because they sign up. I can't believe how many have the the idea that because the RN does the paperwork for moving into assisted living or long term care that somehow the packing is going to start a month after signing up. Try six months to a year. Emergency beds usually reserved for the dementia clients who are found 18 blocks from their home, at 4 am, any time of year. But even then there is no guarantee.

The number one line I hate hearing is "I'm not ready for that." Good, but they aren't ready to have well people either, it's not till you're really ill/sick/incapacitated do they QUALIFY you to move in. Know how many over 90 year olds are not qualified? Lots, it's not an age factor, it's health.

6. Do the numbers. Think about having mom or dad in an ensuite in your home. Don't faint.
Think about the financial consequences of an independant living situation, if they keep putting up the rent and your loved one is living there for over 8 years at $2,000 or more (okay more) then consider carefully if that is feasible in the long run.

Here are some solutions I've seen out there. One family ran the numbers and built gramma a rancher carriage house. Yup, was cheaper! Of course she doesn't get pub night or Wii bowling Wednesdays, but she likes it. Another family converted their garage into one heck of a good granddad suite. Everyone has their own private space. What I'm saying is that in some situations, an RN could be calling you to say your loved one is talking about suicide because they are outliving their cash or worried about your cash, or someones.

7. Know their meds. Seems simple right? But with the 'net, know what they are taking and how and when and etc.

8. Know their alcohol intake. Yup, lotsa Beer and Wine Stores have nothing on mom and dad. I'm shocked by the well stocked cabinets, under sinks and heck, mini bar fridges I see. But a concerned, not lecturing, talk may help.

9. Send mail. NOT email. Okay, if mom and dad are on-line, email, but they go to their mailboxes and guess what, bills and advertising for more scooters and financial products and no letters or cards. I only know of one senior right now who is on facebook. One.

10. Not the top ten, or even number one, those are covered, but nevertheless, do it: If you can't be there to take them out, then for the love of God, contact IHA about volunteers who can take them out.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

Queen K,

:rate10: X 10 !!

THANK YOU!
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/front ... 31613.html

This incident happened last August.

Again, highlighting the need to check on residents who do not come down for meals.

And just so you all know, not all independent living situations have a policy not to check on people. But they learned the hard way and their incident did not hit the news. Fortunate for them eh?

Return to “Central Okanagan”