Back yard chickens

Captain77
Fledgling

Re: Back yard chickens

Post by Captain77 »

Hmmm, if I were on council would I rather talk about smart meters or chickens - That was easy - chickens win.
anna nymous

Post by anna nymous »

RE: KELOWNA
the irony is that you can't have a chicken coop but it's ok to fire a gun and kill (wildlife?) in YLW city limits

what a place
if only we could go back to the Old Okanagan

http://www.globaltvbc.com/watching+gees ... story.html
bccan

Post by bccan »

March is supposed to be the startup date. Hopefully I have signed up to be apart of the pilot project.
*link removed/Jo*
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

may sound like a good idea but.......

1. what happens when chicken no longer lay eggs? Do they go to spca? How many will be left by roadside by irresponsible owners like other pets no longer wanted?

2. what happens when pentictonites start complaining of more coyotes prowling yards and streets drawn by chickens?

3. what happens when irresponsible owners do not properly dispose of manure. Anyone who has lived on farm knows how bad chicken manure can smell. I put it right up there with pig manure.

4. What happens when neighbours start complaining about the swarm of flies drawn by the chicken manure in the heat of the Okanagan summer?

5. What happens when complaints start to arrive at city hall about the mice. rats and other rodent infestations attracted by chicken feed/eggs.?

6. will roosters be prohibited? If not city will no doubt start getting complaints on that too.Roosters are loud and wake up at crack of dawn,!

surely council has better things to think about - like how many more trees can we find reasons to cut down or money we can spend on bicycle and walkways to accommodate tourist who come here two months of the year........
Last edited by Rosemary1 on Feb 25th, 2013, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Isn't it interesting how Penticton City Council is going to allow backyard Chickens...yet they, themselves are "Chickens" to address the Deer problem? :dyinglaughing:
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Gee. ... Just a thought. I wonder if the city would allow peacocks too? Hear there's three out in Naramata that would like to find a home that has female peacocks ... :dyinglaughing:
bccan

Post by bccan »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... d-clucking

After approving in January and getting people to sign up to get them, they changed their minds. I am very dissapointed in this decision. Appox. 100 chickens being allowed to be in the city is not going to harm the city
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

bccan wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/92382/Penticton-mutes-backyard-clucking

After approving in January and getting people to sign up to get them, they changed their minds. I am very dissapointed in this decision. Appox. 100 chickens being allowed to be in the city is not going to harm the city

I'm very disapointed too. This works in cities right across Canada. Penticton - heads up as*es!!!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

The people who supported backyard chickens needed to do more to educate the politicians about the benefits of urban hens. At least now you know who the naysayers are and can target them with information supported by documentation.

Start by talking to the City of Vernon. Theirs is the simplest, most straightforward chicken bylaw I have ever seen - and I have read just about every one out there.

Organize into a NP society and come up with some concrete plans and some positive solutions to the naysayers' objections. Highlight the positives and promote the educational and "green" aspects of keeping hens. Investigate community events centered around urban hens, training for new hen-keepers, put it all in a business plan type package to sell it, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”