Here we go again -- Country 100.7 is up for sale.

DblDwn11
Fledgling

Here we go again -- Country 100.7 is up for sale.

Post by DblDwn11 »

Newcap is selling their western Canadian properties -- that would have to include Kelowna and Penticton.

Read about it here: http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/news/newcap-exploring-possible-sale-of-alberta-broadcasting-assets/1002007455/

Discuss.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Here we go again -- Country 100.7 is up for sale.

Post by southy »

Interesting, yet seems to be an industry norm these days. Wonder how DG and EB feel? As I've said in many many posts ... "it's just a matter of time".
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#86312

Interesting day for this story to air - in light of the sale of Country 100.7 and all.

Don't care for the style but good on you Mr. Walker.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Deleted/Personal attack removed. Re-read the rules before posting again. Trip
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote: As I've said in many many posts ... "it's just a matter of time".

Any comments on the recent excellent ratings for 100.7 that are contrary to your previous predictions? Would you now agree that there is a large and viable market for country music in the Okanagan?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
BC Dave

Post by BC Dave »

While spinning through the radio dial this weekend I was pleasantly surprised to find that The Juice 103.9 out of Kelowna comes through with reasonable reception in Penticton. What a pleasure to be able to listen to some real music on the radio while driving! My wife's car has a Bose system that will not pick up that station, but the Pioneer one in my van pulls it in nicely. Too bad we also can't pick up Kelowna's classic rock 96.3 in Penticton. I was at my brother's place in Vernon recently and they get a nice clear signal.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Does anyone think we will ever get a real rock station? Everything from Classic Rock up to current. I'm not talking metal or anything (though I would like that more), but just some good guitar driven songs that won't make me want to blow my brains out after 20 minutes of listening. (read: other local radio - one can only take so much CBC.)

One can only dream I suppose.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

After I stopped listening to 100.7 after they fired all their DJ's, and dumped most of their newscasts, I found several new radio stations up the valley (Summerland and Kelowna) worth listening to and now quite enjoy the variety. Not always 100% clear due to the distance but for the most part, pretty darned good. Always tune to CBC for the news as you can always count on it, on the hour; like 100.7 USED to be.
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

ToddT wrote:Does anyone think we will ever get a real rock station? Everything from Classic Rock up to current. I'm not talking metal or anything (though I would like that more), but just some good guitar driven songs that won't make me want to blow my brains out after 20 minutes of listening. (read: other local radio - one can only take so much CBC.)

One can only dream I suppose.

I know that a couple of stations based in Kelowna, 103.9 The Juice & 96.3 K96, applied and received CRTC approval to move their transmitter to the same tower as Country 100.7, informally known as the 'CBC Tower'.

In the case of 103.9 The Juice, they also received approval to up the transmitter power.

When these eventual moves are made, they will be able to stream clearly into Penticton and surrounding areas with the same clarity as Country 100.7.

It is a significant investment to make these changes so I have no idea on the time-frame for completion.
spoton

Post by spoton »

K96 did apply to the CRTC to have their transmitter moved to OK Mountain but have not received approval yet...if they do you better believe it will be moved up there pretty quickly!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

spoton wrote:K96 did apply to the CRTC to have their transmitter moved to OK Mountain but have not received approval yet...if they do you better believe it will be moved up there pretty quickly!

I would welcome any radio station to move their transmitter to Okanagan Mountain; we need more competition with coverage up and down the valley. K96 or the Juice 103.9 would be a wonderful addition to the South and give listeners a change from Country. Bring it on.

Return to “Central Okanagan”