Sonic Boom

ToddT
Übergod

Sonic Boom

Post by ToddT »

Am I crazy? Last night we heard this crazy loud sound at like 7:30 pm, and I ran outside to see if anyone had drove into my vehicle parked outside. There was nothing. All of the dogs (including mine) in the neighbourhood were going nuts.
When I woke up this morning I heard the news that the meteor hit, and just now finally did the time conversion and they were almost exactly the same.
Did anyone else hear this incredibly loud "bang" around the same time?
ToddT
Übergod

Re: Sonic Boom

Post by ToddT »

haha ok apparently we are on glue. Glad to have that clarified.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

What did you find out ToddT ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

lol that nobody on Castanet heard what we heard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Might want to check with the folks in Russia :dyinglaughing:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Last time a sonic boom happened over Kelowna the result was this:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Digital+Archiv ... ostPopular
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Just for fun, I'm going to suggest it's doubtful that you heard the sonic boom from Russia...

I say this cause you didn't hear the sonic boom from Cuba two hours earlier and apparently you didn't hear the sonic boom from the San Francisco Bay area last night.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news ... wo-1712957

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=8995365

:bethecoffee:
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

OK, I'm going to be the first to tie this in... I'm likely wrong but what the hay...

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/87489/Object-sighted-over-Orchard-Park-Mall

Same time?
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Spocky wrote:Same time?

No where near actually. But it follows to reason that any craft capable of interstellar flight would be able to move fast enough to stay a few hours ahead of the sound it makes. But wait, this one was spotted after the sound was heard in Penticton, so it must have been backing up.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Or, maybe there was more than one craft arriving around here. :)
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Now there's a thought. There was a bunch of them, just doing a little sightseeing while their asteroid was passing through the neighbourhood. To bad about the one in Russia, they really should have done their brake check at the top of the hill.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I believe I had a bran muffin and chilli induced flatulence episode at about 7:30 p.m. Given the distance between Penticton and I, and the speed of sound, the smell ought to be getting there right about.... now....
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You should have called ahead to the research station in Summerland. They could have clocked it on their odorometer as it wafted by.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

GordonH wrote:Last time a sonic boom happened over Kelowna the result was this:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Digital+Archiv ... ostPopular

I checked out that old vid...have seen it before...but this is the first time I considered this:
it was back in 69...and 1/4 mill...$250,000.00 worth of glass was blown out for an eight block radius and only six people needed hospital care.

Can you imagine if that happened today?
Same amount of glass for same block radius, but we'd see hundreds of people go to hospitals for every little scratch.
My point:
I'm betting there were a lot more folks cut by flying glass than six.
I'm betting they were of a tougher generation that wasn't so set on making a big deal from a small cut or two compared to today's public.
Today, I believe we are wimps comparatively speaking.

Just an observation...perhaps of no value or substance, but still entertaining in my head to consider...
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Or maybe that was back in the days where a frivolous lawsuit was not the way to financial freedom.

Return to “Central Okanagan”