What is being built by Walmart?

bipdl
Board Meister

Re: What is being built by Walmart?

Post by bipdl »

bccan wrote:I also think once you factor in the loyalty points offered from safeway and save on foods they are a better choice(airmiles and saveon points)than walmart or superstore

Shop wherever you prefer, but I just want to correct any impression that Superstore doesn't offer a competitive "loyalty points" program. IT DOES!

First, we use our President's Choice Mastercard to purchase everything everywhere. Points are earned on every single penny we spend (not just in-store)! These points add up fast! They're good for groceries or anything else sold at any Loblaws Group supermarket. (We're currently saving points for a new flat screen TV.)

Using that same Mastercard, we also automatically get 7.5 cents per litre off the price of gas at their Gasbars (which is always competitively priced to begin with), plus an additional 2% of the gas receipt value in the form of a tear-off coupon printed right on every pump receipt, redeemable for merchandise at any or their stores.

AND, being as it's not too difficult to drop a $250. bill on a grocery trip these days, we shop once a month (big freezer!) and receive their promotional "$25. Gift Certificate when you buy $250. worth" of groceries... a nice ten-percent discount for shopping with them.

There's no extra card to have to present at time of purchase, no fob to scan, no separate "statements", no expiry dates and no hullaballoo when we want to cash in the points. Just tell the cashier, and presto, your bill is reduced by the value of the points redeemed.

Soooo, what are "Airmiles" worth and how easy is it to cash them in?

Walmart, interestingly enough, OFFERS NOTHING, NIET, NADA, BUPKUS, SQUAT... yet they're "falling prices" are always cheerfully matched by their competitors.
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Shop wherever you prefer, but I just want to correct any impression that Superstore doesn't offer a competitive "loyalty points" program. IT DOES!

First, we use our President's Choice Mastercard to purchase everything everywhere. Points are earned on every single penny we spend (not just in-store)! These points add up fast! They're good for groceries or anything else sold at any Loblaws Group supermarket. (We're currently saving points for a new flat screen TV.)

Using that same Mastercard, we also automatically get 7.5 cents per litre off the price of gas at their Gasbars (which is always competitively priced to begin with), plus an additional 2% of the gas receipt value in the form of a tear-off coupon printed right on every pump receipt, redeemable for merchandise at any or their stores.

AND, being as it's not too difficult to drop a $250. bill on a grocery trip these days, we shop once a month (big freezer!) and receive their promotional "$25. Gift Certificate when you buy $250. worth" of groceries... a nice ten-percent discount for shopping with them.

There's no extra card to have to present at time of purchase, no fob to scan, no separate "statements", no expiry dates and no hullaballoo when we want to cash in the points. Just tell the cashier, and presto, your bill is reduced by the value of the points redeemed.

Soooo, what are "Airmiles" worth and how easy is it to cash them in?

Walmart, interestingly enough, OFFERS NOTHING, NIET, NADA, BUPKUS, SQUAT... yet they're "falling prices" are always cheerfully matched by their competitors.[/quote]

Really. We use our walmart Mastercard to buy anything everywhere and earn points on every penny spent. You can use these points on any purchase at any Walmart.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

0gopogo wrote:Why does Penticton need MORE grocery space???

Why NOT? Who cares anyways.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

madmudder wrote:Really. We use our walmart Mastercard to buy anything everywhere and earn points on every penny spent. You can use these points on any purchase at any Walmart.

I stand corrected.

I guess all I'm left with now is to say I'd rather support a Canadian corporation's bottom line than an American one's. At least all taxes generated from head office administrative payrolls and all corporate profits contribute to paying for all the social programs we all hold so dear (medicare and pensions, etc.).
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
jccamp95

Post by jccamp95 »

ok we all know what is happening on the north side of the building....but what is happening on the south side?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

jccamp95 wrote:ok we all know what is happening on the north side of the building....but what is happening on the south side?

Not sure but my guess would be parking to make up for the loss on the north side. They have floor area to parking spot ratio's that have to be maintained.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Tyde

Post by Tyde »

ok we all know what is happening on the north side of the building....but what is happening on the south side?

Same as on the north side most likely.. Walmart doesn't usually expand on only one side.. They like to keep it even..
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Why does Penticton need MORE grocery space???
[/quote]Why NOT? Who cares anyways.[/quote]

Well, you obviously do since you took the time to comment.
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

bccan wrote:I don't think I will be buying too much from Walmarts new grocery department. I have been in west Kelowna walmart and was unimpressed with all the packaged meats they bring in. I don't shop at the superstore either. Their prices are no different then anywhere else really. I will be sticking with Safeway, IGA and my third is Save on

I find Safeway, and I.G.A. more expensive Save-On-Foods is not to bad. I shop at all the stores to do a comparrison, luckily I'm retired with time on my hands in between tennis games.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

flyer shop is what it's all about.........yes IGA, Save On and Safeway can be more expensive but check out their weekly flyers and you can sometimes pick up good sale items........as far as buying everything at SS, sorry wouldn't touch their meat.......
anakerose

Post by anakerose »

The SuperCenter part was always in their plans from the beginning. There was a clause in the old Safeway lease that prevented them from building it when it was first put up. I worked at the McDonald's in Walmart for a few years (at the old and new store) and we always knew that it was coming. The wall they're tearing down was only supposed to be temporary anyways. I'm just surprised it took this long to start it.
jccamp95

Post by jccamp95 »

here is what I have found out. Basically is additional parking and a new loading dock area.

Return to “Central Okanagan”