Photo Radar in School Zones

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Photo Radar in School Zones

Post by fluffy »

The idea of using photo radar for speed enforcement in local school zones has been under discussion in council chambers recently and the topic has also been burning up space on the letters-to-the-editor page of the Herald as well. What am I missing? Why do so many think this is a bad idea? It's an efficient and low-cost method to control speeding in an area were speed control is most needed. I don't understand how so many can be against it.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Photo Radar in School Zones

Post by Bsuds »

Probably the ones who speed complain the most.

I'm all for it! Triple the fines as well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Absolutely all for it.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Personally I would rather see those radar speed reader boards installed in every school zone. They are very effective reminders when you near the school zone on auto pilot and you quickly check your speed. A ticket in the mail from a mechanical and stealthy cop two weeks after the fact did not save that child from possibly being injured. To me it is like scolding a child after an incident rather than a gentle reminder beforehand that the action may have consequences.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I disagree twobits. I think the targets here are deliberate and habitual speeders, not someone momentarily distracted and missing the school zone sign. I think a speeding ticket runs around $160.00 these days, double for a school zone means the bill in your mail box will be $320.00. I think that would drive the lesson home real quick, so much so that a few may even think ahead before speeding in a school zone. I side with others in thinking that the most vocal detractors are probably the most likely offendors. What other reason could there be for opposing such a measure?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Have the photo radar take the picture right after the reader board. If the board doesn't slow them down, they'll get what's coming to them.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

And on the second one put a sign that says "We warned you!"
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

OK, I can compromise. If speed boards are installed in conjunction with photo radar, I could go for it. If ya speed past that sign then ya deserve a 360 dollar ticket.
Same thing for constuction zones. They have started using those speed boards a lot, particularily when work is being done on hyways and I think they are very effective. I travel south quite a bit and there is work being done near Gallager Lake right now and those boards are in use. You can see every one in front of you hitting their brakes when that sign does the rapid flash and they have already been warned of construction speed zone 1/2 km earlier. The radar speed signs are very effective and isn't the real objective saftey after all rather than punishment.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

twobits wrote:Personally I would rather see those radar speed reader boards installed in every school zone. They are very effective reminders when you near the school zone on auto pilot and you quickly check your speed. A ticket in the mail from a mechanical and stealthy cop two weeks after the fact did not save that child from possibly being injured. To me it is like scolding a child after an incident rather than a gentle reminder beforehand that the action may have consequences.

You should be checking yourself PERIOD if you're on "auto pilot" anywhere when you're driving a potential killing machine in a school zone (or anywhere else.)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

:smt023 to use of Photo Radar in school zone & road construction sites, plus largest fines possible + points.

Speeders may only learn to slow down if it effects their bank accounts enough.

Strike 1 = $350 fine + 3 points
Strike 2 = $500 fine + 3 points (if happens within 2 years of strike 1)
Strike 3 = $1000 fine + 3 points & immediate 6 months suspension of licence (if happens within 3 years of strike 1)
Strike 4 = 1 year suspension (if happens within 4 years of strike 1)
or something along these lines
Maybe sound tough...... IMO safety of the kids & highway workers are more than worth it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Of course you know who the worst offenders are: Parents dropping their kids off.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

twobits wrote:OK, I can compromise. If speed boards are installed in conjunction with photo radar, I could go for it. If ya speed past that sign then ya deserve a 360 dollar ticket. Same thing for constuction zones. The radar speed signs are very effective and isn't the real objective safety after all... rather than punishment?

Well! This marks the end of the world as we know it!!

Twobits... I ACTUALLY WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE WITH YOU ON EVERY POINT YOU'VE MADE HERE.

Gads, I need a drink! :nutzoid:
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

GordonH wrote::smt023 to use of Photo Radar in school zone & road construction sites, plus largest fines possible + points.

Strike 3 = $1000 fine + 3 points & immediate 6 months suspension of licence (if happens within 3 years of strike 1)
Maybe sound tough...... IMO safety of the kids & highway workers are more than worth it.

Almost surprised you are not advocating jail time.

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote::smt023 to use of Photo Radar in school zone & road construction sites, plus largest fines possible + points.

twobits wrote:Almost surprised you are not advocating jail time.

Nope, just nailing their bank account. Thats only way they will slow the hell down, unless you have a better solution.... twobits.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I agree. The minimum fine in a school zone would be $320.00, enough to make most think ahead a bit. If you're silly enough to get nailed doing more than 50 kph the bill goes to $640.00. That would sure be on my mind.

Return to “Central Okanagan”