Horses on the highway

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Horses on the highway

Post by Graham Adder »

Graphite wrote:
Its too bad this all seems to be a circular problem with nobody actually doing anything. My feelings are if there are signs of neglect the animals should be taken by authorities. There should be the possibility of a court ruling to allow this, in my opinion.

agreed
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There seems to be a lot of different angles to this story, but in the end I think twobits has it scoped accurately, it's a money thing. The problem could be solved, at least in the Penticton area, with fencing as it has been said already that the problem was not as severe when fencing along the KVR right-of-way was maintained. The question is simply one of who pays? The current legislation appears to favour farmers/ranchers over non-agricultural neighbours which makes it hard to hold the horse owners to task. That leaves the rest of the players like the RDOS, the PIB, the residents, the highways dept., and all the other "concerned" parties standing around waiting for someone else to run with the ball. A ball that might just cost a million dollars to pick up. Somehow I'm not optimistic about a speedy resolution.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

The truth to the matter is as follows. The PIB IMO don't mind the horses roaming around. For the most part, they stay on the rangeland and don't bother a lot of people. It is very much a natural way of raising animals, and as one poster eluded to, is the way that PETA and other groups would like to have all animals live. The horses have been on the reserve for as long as I can remember, and they are on every reserve that I'm aware of. I've seen a lot of these horses. They don't look that emaciated, they look reasonably healthy. Their hooves could use some trimming, but they get by. I mean, for 100's of years before horses were domesticated, they lived just like these horses, and survived a lot worse.
True, every once in a while, one or two get hit on the highway. It's a tragedy, but I don't have solution, and I don' think anyone else does either.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

If they do not look that bad then why are people saying they are starving and dying in the winters?

What has happened with this? As directed I send Chief Kruger 2 emails but none were responded to. Has anything happened?
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

I saw 10 or so on Sunday about 4pm......they were hanging out in the grassy corner just across from the drivin' range where you turn up to West Bench.
They obviously had to cross hiway 97 to get there.....nice looking animals!
My concern was them crossing the hiways to get up the hill-which is where I hoped they went rather than venturing into Penticton.
Why doesn't the indian band have these horses fenced in ??? I worried all the way home about them!
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Read the previous 10 pages.....
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Has there been any progress with this issue?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well, with the tourist season off to a start the traffic on that section of highway has increased, but other than that I'd guess things are pretty much the same.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

-fluffy- wrote:Well, with the tourist season off to a start the traffic on that section of highway has increased, but other than that I'd guess things are pretty much the same.

That and the fact that the horses have now gone back up into the hills. They'll be back this fall though, and then we can start this all over again!!!
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

Wanna solve the problem?...........just shoot them all, get CO's in their, they like to kill wildlife, and yes the horses are wildlife.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

jimsenchuk wrote:Wanna solve the problem?...........just shoot them all, get CO's in their, they like to kill wildlife, and yes the horses are wildlife.

Better yet, let properly take care of the horses (ie: fenced in and fed) and lets shoot the irresponsible owners.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

Better yet, let properly take care of the horses (ie: fenced in and fed) and lets shoot the irresponsible owners.

comments/removed. off topic. Trip

On a more serious note, don't go on the reserve packing firearms, they will shoot back.

They are wild horses, some die when things get tough for them, the same as deer, moose, elk and so on, mother nature will take care of the problem. Also the people on the reserve do not give a heck what people off the reserve think or say, so bark all you want, nothing will change the fact that wild horses are on the reserve.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.

Return to “Central Okanagan”