Horses on the highway

Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Horses on the highway

Post by Steve-O »

Have to agree with Tony. Being from Alberta I've known a few people on the inside of the rodeo circuit and they treat the stock with utmost care.

I also understand the other side of the coin where many draw their opinions from ads from organizations like PETA or from their own observations of rodeo on tv, but its like Tony mentions, they do their 8 seconds and off to pasture after a thorough check by trainers. Rodeo stock is used to breed more rodeo stock when their careers are over, they are too valuable to become dog food.
sammo

Post by sammo »

Fluffy, you don't want to get me started, but here I go . Lets just say that the horses are forced to perform, hauled all over, mistreated, frequently injured or killed, treated as commodities, etc., etc., etc. When they are no longer able to perform anymore (or if they don't perform well enough in the first place) they can often look foreward to a nice retirement- at a slaughterhouse. Just the act of forcing a horse to buck for people's entertainment is cruel.
There are some wonderful people out there that do try to improve conditions for these animals, buy them from auctions and re-home them before they are killed, or buy them before they ever see a rodeo . some horses are obviously going to be treated better than others, but you can bet its only because they are great little money-makers for their owners.

If you have ever been to a rodeo , you will not have to look to hard to find evidence of cruelty to horses. I've seen enough myself and it is very distressing. Not that rodeo is the only place you will find cruelty- racing, jumping, dressage- you name it - there's abuse. A lot of average riders are not above a little cruelty here and there if it provides the end result they are looking for. I've been around (and worked with ) horses a lot (never could afford one myself) and have seen a lot of things that would blow your mind. The truly sad part is that people think it is OK to mistreat horses- as they are only animals.

There are lots of websites that show video of bucking horses, articles on how they are raised and treated. The good, the bad, and the ugly of the rodeo world ( and every other equestrian discipline)is there for all to see. I'd suggest looking into it if you are truly interested. What you don't know won't hurt you, but it doesn't hurt to be informed.

Excuse my little rant, but I've seen too much animal cruelty . I'd sure hate to hear that more of our local PIB horses are sent to slaughter or for bucking stock. Or any others from the area, as I know a lot of horses have been sent to slaughter around here for years. Any area that has horses, will have horses being sold for slaughter - it is truly a shame.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

Steve-O wrote:Have to agree with Tony. Being from Alberta I've known a few people on the inside of the rodeo circuit and they treat the stock with utmost care.

I also understand the other side of the coin where many draw their opinions from ads from organizations like PETA or from their own observations of rodeo on tv, but its like Tony mentions, they do their 8 seconds and off to pasture after a thorough check by trainers. Rodeo stock is used to breed more rodeo stock when their careers are over, they are too valuable to become dog food.

Do you have links to this stuff.? Would you like spurs raking up your side?(bucking horse) If so...all the power to you.

I have been to rodeo's in my younger days, and seen when they chase a calf down and the cowboy puts his thumb or finger in the eye to subdue them, and what about the bulls?, they strap a belt around the genitals to get them to buck,(as soon as the strap is released the bull quits bucking) Calgary Stampede, every yr the horses in the chuck wagon races are getting killed, but i guess that is okay in your eyes.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

sammo wrote:Unfortunately Tony, it looks like you are the one that needs to check your facts. Either you know nothing about bucking/rodeo stock, or you are in some way involved in rodeo (or know people who are) and therefore feel the need to defend the humans involved. There may be some horses that are treated OK, but you reaally can't think that that is the norm. :ohmygod:

Tell me what you know and how you know it sammo. You're right, I have been very involved in rodeo. I know several stock contractors personally, and have a great love of all animals. Tell me what your background is please.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I wouldn't be so naive as to expect that this sort of treatment never happens on the rodeo circuit, but neither am I so gullible as to accept that it is going to happen to every horse on the circuit as is being inferred here. In this particular situation regarding the future of the West Bench horses, the glaring question is "who should pay?", followed closely by "who will actually pay?" From what I've read so far that is the root issue.

To me the "somebody should do something" line of thought falls under "words are cheap", just about any solution is going to have it associated expenses.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

they strap a belt around the genitals to get them to buck,(as soon as the strap is released the bull quits bucking)

That's the biggest lie that has ever hit the public. I dare you to strap anything around your junk and run around. Take a close look next time. The bucking strap goes around the waist of the animal. It's tightened around the waist to the equivalent of doing your belt up one notch too tight. If it's too tight, the stock (whether it's bulls or broncs) won't buck. If it's too loose, it will just fall off.

The stock bucks because it's doing something totally natural - trying to get a rider off it's back. The purpose - and the sole purpose- of the bucking or flank strap is to encourage the stock to kick out rather than into it's belly. It's way less likely to cause any injury to itself.

Lets just say that the horses are forced to perform, hauled all over, mistreated, frequently injured or killed, treated as commodities, etc., etc., et

They aren't forced to perform. Bucking stock is no different that cow ponies, race horses or jumpers. There is something in their DNA that makes them want to buck. They are NEVER mistreated or else they wouldn't work. Seldom are they killed. In all the pro rodeos in Canada (68), there may be one death a year. It's about the same odds as race car drivers. They are treated as animals that are worth a great deal of money. A good bucking horse or bull is worth as much as $50,000.00. Average ones are worth $2,000.00 - $5,000.00. Since the "tools of your trade" are worth this much, you don't mistreat them.

I know that those who don't believe in it will never believe in it, but you should be let those of us who love the sport enjoy ourselves. The groups like PETA and others like them skew the view to sway the unknowable to their side.

The videos you see on Youtube etc that are anti rodeo are so biased it's almost scary.

Rodeo stock lives a great life. They aren't wandering around trying to find food and getting hit by trucks.
sammo

Post by sammo »

My background with horses- general stable help in various locations. Basically, I do the hard work that nobody else wants to do. In that sort of position you see and hear a lot. I have also (unfortunately) been to rodeos and other similar events (even knew someone who lived right next to a rodeo ground). Believe me, I have seen some awful things. I've seen cruelty on TV events too- only watch them when I am somewhere where I have no control over what shows are on. Abuse of rodeo animals is well documented- you don't really need my background. As I said, some animals are treated better than others, and you may well love animals. Just because you love them, doesn't mean you treat them right (not you specifically- or your friends either, just a general comment). As I also said, its not just rodeo horses that suffer- lots of others do as well. I once witnessed a woman lungeing her very expensive, very well behaved horse. When the horse misinterpreted one of her commands, she beat the beejezus out of her with her lunge whip, all the while yelling and kicking at her. By the time I got there (had to get through several gates first) she had stopped and was quite surprised at people's comments about her behaviour. I have seen things like this and worse many, many times. Unfortunately, people like that don't really care what others think, and continue to behave in this way. The animal is their property, therefore they can do what they want with it. I also have worked with people who have been in rodeos, and support them- they can tell some interesting stories about what goes on. I have worked with horses and at stables that do trail rides, dressage, jumping and various levels of lessons, at private homes, boarding stables , and so on. I have only been to one where I did not witness abuse. I think I tend to notice these issues more than most, as I genuinely care about the animals. That feeling has led me to steer clear of all things equestrian- I have just seen and dealt with too much- it is very disheartening.
If you and your friends love the rodeo animals so much, what is it that you do that is so different from so many others, and why do you believe that rodeos are good for them in the first place?
I don't just take offence with the treatment of rodeo animals. Lots of horses are kept cooped up in stalls for most of their lives, and let out into very small paddocks( for small amounts of time) where they can't run and don't have any real contact with other animals. It's all terribly sad.
sammo

Post by sammo »

My "I have given up on all things equestrian" comment wasn't entirely true. I'd be willing help with the local feral horses. Would love to , actually.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

sammo wrote:My "I have given up on all things equestrian" comment wasn't entirely true. I'd be willing help with the local feral horses. Would love to , actually.

Help do what? Viable solutions seem to be the problem here.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
sammo

Post by sammo »

Help do anything. Work with a group that is trying to make a change, help with the horses themselves, whatever. I think a group of natives and us on the other side needs to be formed to lobby for the horses. Many people working together with a common goal can really make a difference. This situation does seem particulary difficult though, seeing as most of the horses are owned and nobody really seems to want to take responsibility for them. I'd love to see the owners put some of them up for adoption to good homes , or hand some over to any good rescue groups willing to take them. I'm sure people would buy some and give them good homes. At the very least, I'd like to see a sterilization program put into effect. Any solution is of course time consuming and expensive, but something must be done. This would be an excellent opportunity for the Penticton Indian Band to try to get this situation under control , and the only way this can probably be done is by working together. Maybe an open meeting held either somewhere in town, or on the reserve would be a good way to start????
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You have good intentions sammo but the reality of this situation is that the owners seem to be happy to go with the status quo, and it appears as if the front line authority to force them into some sort of remedial action, the PIB council, are for whatever reason, unable or unwilling to do so.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

-fluffy- wrote:I wouldn't be so naive as to expect that this sort of treatment never happens on the rodeo circuit, but neither am I so gullible as to accept that it is going to happen to every horse on the circuit as is being inferred here. In this particular situation regarding the future of the West Bench horses, the glaring question is "who should pay?", followed closely by "who will actually pay?" From what I've read so far that is the root issue.

To me the "somebody should do something" line of thought falls under "words are cheap", just about any solution is going to have it associated expenses.

The question which alludes me is who is responsible and who will be held accountable. It appears that even the Band and it's members are not taking this issue very seriously.

If the band was serious, they would have secured these animals already for their safety and then figured out a suitable solution for the owners of these animals. Once again, no one accepts any responsability.
Last edited by Ken7 on Mar 19th, 2013, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodacious_(bull)

Here's a little insight on what some rodeo stock, this big fellow lived the celebrity life style!

Bodacious the Bull (1988 - May 16, 2000)

Not all bull makes Bologna and when it comes to rodeo, don't believe every cruel thing about contractors that you hear. I know a number of them.

Little information on rodeo stock and how they get there.

http://www.naiaonline.org/naia-library/ ... d-to-buck/
Last edited by Ken7 on Mar 19th, 2013, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Ken7 wrote:The question which alludes me is who is responsible and who will be held accountable. It appears that even the Band and it's members are not taking this issue very seriously.

Small-time politics such as that within the band is a breeding ground for nepotism and family fiefdoms. That would be one possible explanation for the apparent hands-off stance the band council is taking.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:Small-time politics such as that within the band is a breeding ground for nepotism and family fiefdoms. That would be one possible explanation for the apparent hands-off stance the band council is taking.

Fluff, the light really went on for me when I believe it was Theresa that said, "Chief Kruger wants a fence built around the reserve." Connecting the dots, it would be rather counter intuitive to do anything to curb this horse issue now as it would only remove leverage to secure taxpayer money to build this million dollar fence. Would seem that these horses are just a political card to be played.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Central Okanagan”