If trees fall on the beach ... will anybody know?

southy
Lord of the Board

If trees fall on the beach ... will anybody know?

Post by southy »

Isn't that how the song went or something like that. Speaking of trees falling ... been down to the lakeshore recently. I see work has commenced on the new design. I could be wrong, but did the city really advise us that they would be removing all or most of the trees? Just wondering. Looks pretty baron with the trees gone.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: If trees fall on the beach ... will anybody know?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Waterfront trees hacked down
Deborah Pfeiffer - Story: 89190
Mar 21, 2013 / 4:26 pm

Big changes to the waterfront on the west end of Okanagan Lake are now underway in Penticton.

Most noticeably many of the tall trees on the beach have been taken down, barriers are up and there is less available parking.

But the city wants to reassure residents and visitors that whatever they take down in trees, they will be replacing.

“We will be taking down 27 trees, but we will plant 47 in their place,” said Simone Blais, the city’s communications officer.

The long-standing trees on the beach are a mix of cottonwoods, and a few pines.

Nor should residents be too surprised. After much discussion last year about whether they wanted to lose parking or take up beach space for an improved walkway, the decision was to keep the parking as it was.

“There was a lot of consultation about what do residents want, and it came back pretty loud and clear that they wanted the angled parking maintained ,” said Blais. “So we are striking a balance.”

The work underway now is in preparation for the construction which will follow shortly.

The goal is to continue the construction until the peak tourism season, then take a break and resume in the fall.
The city expects the project, including the tree replanting, to be completed by mid-November.

“We know it is a change to our waterfront and we really hope residents are cognizant of the barriers that are up and where you can walk, because there will be a lot of that in the months to come, “ said Blais.

The current work could also have an impact on the Penticton Ramada Elevator Race, which starts in that area of the beach on Saturday.

"It's frustrating and hopefully we can work with the city to accomodate the race as much as possible," said Lyndie Hill, race director for Hoodoo Adventures, which is holding the event. "As an event director, I always expect there will be last minute challenges to face."

There are expected to be 175 competitors, as well as spectators at the event.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... acked-down
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

As far as cottonwoods go, it's a good idea to "recyle" them regularly. They have notoriously weak wood especially into advanced age and can easily lose branches in high winds. They are also subject to lifting roots as much as fifteen feet around. I think there are much better choices for beachfront vegetation.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

oneh2obabe and Fluffy ... thanks for this information .. good to know.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

When hurricane force winds hit Hot Sands Beach in Kelowna, now this was back in the mid-1990s, every old cottonwood tree was uprooted. I have a photograph of them all in a row, all with their root systems facing up towards the lake. Imagine if that had happened on a busy day instead of in the dead of night.

Penticton's city council made the right decision, even if it's going to take awhile to regain beach shade later.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I would LOVE to see that photograph!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd have to find it and scan it to the HD. I was lucky to get in the park when I did because within 40 minutes they were kicking everyone out. Nanny State and all.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I remember exploring Stanley Park the day after that huge windstorm in the early 2000's... climbing over all the fallen trees was fun :)

Then they closed the park :eyeballspin:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

hummm ... is that how you got your name :dyinglaughing: (just kidding stumpy)
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Always wanted to start a tree-trimming business :dyinglaughing:

-edit-

Or a chainsaw safety presentation :coffeecanuck:
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Queen K wrote:When hurricane force winds hit Hot Sands Beach in Kelowna, now this was back in the mid-1990s, every old cottonwood tree was uprooted. I have a photograph of them all in a row, all with their root systems facing up towards the lake.

I'd like to see that photo, too, Queenie.

http://www.townecentremall.com/Features.html

After the Storm

Wednesday morning, August 6, 1997 was no more peculiar for the citizens of Kelowna that any other day that summer. Vacationing school children enjoyed the sunshine while their parents went off to work, unsuspecting of the hurricane like storm that would rip through a very narrow portion of their city, destroying historic landmarks in it's wake. The powerful storm would be contained to a very narrow path of the city, doing no harm to some buildings and landscape standing right next to others it destroyed.

Approximately 5:30 p.m. that evening, the blue skies blackened and the winds picked up speed. In some areas along the lonely path of the storm, the winds were estimated to be blowing up to 100 kph and an eerie sensation fell over the residents and visitors of Kelowna. Mother Nature was hard at work and she would change the landscape of Kelowna's City Park forever. The scenery of the Park would take on an entirely new appearance after the storm.

Although the storm lasted less than one hour, it caused millions of dollars of damage and devastated City Park, toppling approximately 50 trees; some measuring over 100 feet in height and over 100 years old. Not only did the Park suffer severe damage, but along the city's waterfront, the Yacht Club would also be a victim of the storm with many boats being damaged, totally destroyed and some even sinking to the bottom of Okanagan lake. Walkways at the Yacht Club were torn up like mere twigs and thrown into and against the boats moored there. When winds subsided, there were 12 boats lying on the floor of the lake. No boat escaped that day without damage of some sort.

The storm passed and the "Old Tree" along with many others lay in a large heap on the ground. Only moments after the storm disappeared, under a cloudy grey sky, visitors and residents went to the park to witness the damage so hastily left in such a short duration.

As the clean-up commenced, the trees were destined to a final resting place in a lumber yard or a wood chipper. One lone, tremendous tree, the largest of them all, would become a tribute to the people of Kelowna. This "Old Tree" would bring together Mr. Clifford Pettman, world renowned artist, Centre Group Commercial Realty and Towne Centre Mall. Mr. Pettman created the sculpture. The owners of Towne Centre Mall worked with architects and contractors devising the pan that would enable the sculpture to be placed through the skylights and down into the mall.

The sculpting of the massive stump lasted for over a year and was lifted by crane through the roof of Towne Centre Mall in June 1999.

Centre Group Commercial Realty is pleased to bring you this beautiful display of Mr. Pettmans's artistic abilities transforming and capturing the "Old Tree's" past life and experience along with that of our Okanagan Pioneers.

The "old Tree' weights approximately 7,000 pounds, is 10' in diameter, approximately 16' in height and is estimated to be 120 years old. This sculpture boasts both 2 and 3 dimensional figures and is thought to be the largest cottonwood sculpture in it's type in the world.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Does anyone know where we can see a visual/powerpoint/sketch of the before and envisioned after? I've been scouring the city website but I haven't been able to find a 'This Will Be The End Result' type of thing. Lots about the options that were discussed but can't pin point the final decision visual.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Return to “Central Okanagan”