Tony
Übergod

Copper Mountain Mine

Post by Tony »

Similkameen bands to share mine money
by Ragnar Haagen - Story: 90104
Apr 9, 2013 / 5:00 am

Photo: Contributed - Copper Mountain Mining Corporation
A new revenue agreement has been signed between the Upper and Lower Similkameen Indian Bands and the BC government.

A new revenue sharing agreement between the Upper and Lower Similkameen Indian Bands and the BC government has been signed, which will allow the bands to benefit from the Copper Mountain Mine, located southwest of Princeton.

Through an economic and community development agreement (ECDA), the two First Nations will receive a share of the mineral tax revenues collected by the province from Copper Mountain. It also allows for a comprehensive consultation process that commits to working with the Bands on all potential future mining activity related to the ongoing operation of the Copper Mountain Mine.

"Our Smelqmix and Syilx Chiefs and Councils have been petitioning the Province to share.

I'm just curious is all - is Copper Mountain Mine on Reserve Land?
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Copper Mountain Mine

Post by Madhue »

Tony wrote:I'm just curious is all - is Copper Mountain Mine on Reserve Land?

There’s a large misconception that First Nations in Canada should only be consulted or be paid dividends from lands only on Reserves. Truth is Aboriginal Title and Rights and laws that have existed in Canada is the late 1800’s. Land was held in “Trust” by the Crown and has a fiduciary duty to preserve Aboriginal Title and Rights. It’s pretty complicated in some aspects however Bands or Nations that can prove a historic occupation of lands have the Right to negotiate its use. In the past the Crown had taken on much of this role.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Anonymous123 wrote:Kennewick Man

Yeah I'm familiar with Kenniwick Man arguments... though it’s unclear what yours is other than potential evidence supporting ancient tourism in the Americias.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Madhue wrote:Yeah I'm familiar with Kenniwick Man arguments... though it’s unclear what yours is other than potential evidence supporting ancient tourism in the Americias.

Ancient tourism? 10,000 years ago? That's funny.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

:dyinglaughing:
THAT...is funny.

Madhue wrote:Yeah I'm familiar with Kenniwick Man arguments... though it’s unclear what yours is other than potential evidence supporting ancient tourism in the Americias.

:discodance:
THAT...is realistic.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Anonymous123 wrote:Ancient tourism? 10,000 years ago? That's funny.

Sure it makes sense how else to you explain a Caucasian in the Middle of North America alone in such a time period? It was millenniums before contact with other Caucasians; Kennewick Man was almost 19,000 years before Natives were able to rescue Columbus Lost a Sea.
It wasn’t like they located remains of a Tribe of White folks near an ancient Applebee’s or unearthed a settlement of stone town houses with cupboards filled with Nutella and microbrewed beers. ... the reality is Kennewick Man is highly debated, and teh jury is out as to his origins.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Maybe Caucasians were here first. Like madhue said " the jury is out".

Return to “Central Okanagan”