The Old Waterpark R.V. Campsite

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: The Old Waterpark R.V. Campsite

Post by fluffy »

Static wrote:Another problem is that young people are not allowed to have fun in the town.

Depends on what kind of "fun" you're talking about. Penticton and Kelowna both had a reputation in the day that they were "anything goes" sort of holiday places where you could get a good glow on and nobody bugged you about it. That kind of reputation will inevitably attract a rowdier crowd which will in turn drive the family business out of town which is just what happened with the Peachfest riot in '91.
Last edited by fluffy on May 7th, 2013, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

The thing to remember is if old people with money come to visit and stay because they like it, we need to draw young people for the very same reason because when all is said and done, who will take care of the aging population when they no longer can?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That's the conundrum though isn't it? More people wanting to move to town is driving the cost of accommodation beyond the financial reach of those trying to survive on the wages available in the service industries.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

-fluffy- wrote:
Depends on what kind of "fun" you're talking about. Penticton and Kelowna both had a reputation in the day that they were "anything goes" sort of holiday places where you could get a good glow on and nobody bugged you about it. That kind of reputation will inevitably attract a rowdier crowd which will in turn drive the family business out of town which is just what happened with the Peachfest riot in '91.

Outside of the riot, there was never a problem with rowdiness. The people that did get out of hand where moved to the drunk tank. More importantly, ask any hotel and business, revenue was 50% better when the young visited. Having worked in te local hotel industry and an accounting firm, I had first hand knowledge of the revenue decline. It is a bad stereotype to have in regard to the young and rowdiness. If that is a concern, do kot hold concertd whete everyone meets. At the end of the day it is the young who visit and love the place that will retun with their families later down the road.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:It would be interesting to crunch the numbers and see what sort of financial benefits the "family camper" demographic brings in during the summer months. It's obvious that the direct benefits to the campground owners are not there or the campgrounds wouldn't be disappearing, but if the overall benefit to the city were sufficient it might be feasible to think of city owned campsites. Peach Orchard campsite in Summerland is owned by the municipality and they contract out to people to operate it. It's packed all summer and also brings in a few big draws like the Blossom Run, plus you have all those campers doing spreading a few bucks up and down Main Street while they're in town.

At first glance it seems like a very good idea but I can already hear the howls of anger from the existing operators much like we just recently witnessed from local gym operators with the community center gym upgrade. I think Summerland may be a bit unique in that there are no privately run campgrounds left in Summrland proper??? Last I remember was the one down in lower Summerland on the lake. It is now a gated strata of million dollar homes. Without a private operation the town was able to fill in a need where private capital would not for ROI reasons. Leasing to an operator removes all of the capital requirements and consequently the biggest risk and hurdle faced by private operations. Not even a property tax bill to worry about and it is steep on CT zoned land.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Static wrote:Outside of the riot, there was never a problem with rowdiness. The people that did get out of hand where moved to the drunk tank. More importantly, ask any hotel and business, revenue was 50% better when the young visited. Having worked in te local hotel industry and an accounting firm, I had first hand knowledge of the revenue decline. It is a bad stereotype to have in regard to the young and rowdiness. If that is a concern, do kot hold concerts whete everyone meets. At the end of the day it is the young who visit and love the place that will retun with their families later down the road.

I spent few years standing behind the bar too, and even more in front. ;) I have seen a decline in the bar business in general with a tightening of drinking driving laws over the past few decades and a general reduction in the level of tolerance for public drunkeness. People realize that's it's possible to have fun without getting blotto, the only ones I see complaining are the ones who are unable to have their fun without staying within the law. I realize that the power drinkers were once the bread and butter of the liquor industry, but those days are gone. I also think that the general slowdown in tourism in general is not so much a rebellion against the freedom to drink and drug with impunity as it is an economic indicator. It is worth noting that Osoyoos has a thriving family tourist industry.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

twobits wrote:At first glance it seems like a very good idea but I can already hear the howls of anger from the existing operators much like we just recently witnessed from local gym operators with the community center gym upgrade. I think Summerland may be a bit unique in that there are no privately run campgrounds left in Summrland proper??? Last I remember was the one down in lower Summerland on the lake. It is now a gated strata of million dollar homes. Without a private operation the town was able to fill in a need where private capital would not for ROI reasons. Leasing to an operator removes all of the capital requirements and consequently the biggest risk and hurdle faced by private operations. Not even a property tax bill to worry about and it is steep on CT zoned land.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this post, but Peach Orchard has been leased to private operators by the city for decades now. Always successfully... I know because my family ran it for years.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tero wrote: I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this post, but Peach Orchard has been leased to private operators by the city for decades now. Always successfully... I know because my family ran it for years.

What was meant is that it is not popular (nor right) for governments to compete with private enterprise where it exists. That appears not to be the case with Summerlands Peach Orchard Campsite?? I am glad your family ran it successfully for years but the bottom line may have been quite different if they had to take the risk and put up the million in capital to purchase the land rather than leasing it year over year with the ability to walk at any time. Alternatively, had they owned it for many many years and now had clear title, would the money made from a seasonal business justify turning down a million dollar offer for an alternate use?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Twobits, I don't know about the RV campsite but your statement re Govt not competing with private enterprise reminds me so much of the Penticton Community Centre Gym and how others have stated that very thing - that it competes with private gyms, locally. Maybe Penticton should contract that out or get out of the business? (sorry to be off topic but was just trying to make the comparison).
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Wrights is pricey, had family camp there last year, the waterfront sites are so close together it's ridiculous but hey, the more you can squeeze in there, the more money you make........if I recall, it's 70+ for full hookups.....

Return to “Central Okanagan”