Penticton Minor Hockey

ToddT
Übergod

Penticton Minor Hockey

Post by ToddT »

Just curious to all who have their children in hockey or have had their children in hockey; my boy will be 5 this summer but can't really skate yet. Do they teach that? I mean, I understand they teach the betterment of skating, but do they actually work with them to get them going? I was hoping to put him in with the mini vees, but I guess we missed the boat by one year, as it says 2008 boys have to start in initiation.

I've tried contacting PMHA a couple of times with no luck.

Thanks to anyone with their comments or tips.

PS - I get it that ice is pricy, but holy crapola it's expensive just to register.
twobits
Guru

Re: Penticton Minor Hockey

Post by twobits »

You might try the Vancouver Canucks. With the dismal record of their prospects, they might do well to start grooming your son right now.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

When i was a kid my parents put us in hockey and figure skating. The figure skating taught way more skating technique and made me a better hockey player. I received way more ice time, attention and actually enjoyed my time there more then hockey.http://www.glengarryfsc.com/Home/Programs/CanSkate
Its only 120 bucks and starts in june
Last edited by kibbs on May 10th, 2013, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

The figure skating club has a summer session. Canskate teaches kids to skate and then the little guy can move up in to the Powerskate program, which is geared towards hockey players. http://www.glengarryfsc.com/Home/Home
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

CanSkate is great for them to learn to skate and holy crap yes it's expensive to play, wait until he decides he wants to play rep.........
markussss

Post by markussss »

You will get a very prompt response from the administrator of Penticton Minor Hockey if you email her at [email protected]. She will be able to help you with your questions.
brentan
Fledgling

Post by brentan »

save your money on both accounts
mini vees - joke unorganized and serious waste of time and money
canskate - kid will be wanting you on ice beside them if they cannot skate.
use the parent / tot and public skating to familarize your child with ice and balance and he/she will be further along than others.
for example friends of ours son did the mini vees, ours DIDNT and our little guy skates much better than theirs. and truthfully ours got more ice and actual learning time than what the mini vees get slotted in for ice time. last year we watched the mini vees and didnt seem much better.
misty123

Post by misty123 »

Both my kids are in Penticton minor hockey, I didn't put my son in mini vees because he couldn't skate, then I found out the majority of them can't skate until around Christmas. We did put him in initiation when he was in grade 1 and he could only walk on the ice...within no time at all he was skating.

I put my daughter in mini vees when she was in kindergarten and she could barely even stand on the ice, then she did one year of initiation and then moved to novice. You can register your child for mini vees or initiation(big cost difference, but they get way more ice time in initiation) There was a good mix of 4 and 5 year olds when we went...as for being unorganized? I guess that depends on the individual coaches because we have been very impressed with both kids teams for the last two years, great way for kids to learn to skate.

Return to “Central Okanagan”