Pay Up Ashton.

CTF
Fledgling

Re: Pay Up Ashton.

Post by CTF »

According to the CBC there are 10 different by-elections needed in BC because either a Mayor or council member got elected as an MLA. Dan Ashton is the only one who is paying the costs out of his own pocket. Of course there are some people in Penticton who find something to complain about that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... tions.html

The Herald editorial today summed up the stupidity in suggesting Clark would run here and I agree. It is amazing how far people are willing to stretch the truth in order to grind an axe. We were lucky to have three very good people run in this campaign and they all worked hard. Democracy has prevailed and sour grapes is counter productive. Time to accept the result and move on to more positive things.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

CTF wrote:According to the CBC there are 10 different by-elections needed in BC because either a Mayor or council member got elected as an MLA. Dan Ashton is the only one who is paying the costs out of his own pocket. Of course there are some people in Penticton who find something to complain about that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... tions.html

The Herald editorial today summed up the stupidity in suggesting Clark would run here and I agree. It is amazing how far people are willing to stretch the truth in order to grind an axe. We were lucky to have three very good people run in this campaign and they all worked hard. Democracy has prevailed and sour grapes is counter productive. Time to accept the result and move on to more positive things.

I don't think it's complaining in any way, shape or form to say I DEMAND that Ashton live up to his promise of paying back for the election. And there's nothing to say he will go back on that promise - it's just a friendly reminder.

As for Clarke running here - my theory is that she just tip toed around the hosptial issue just in case she lost in her own riding. If she were to run here now (not saying she will, just options open) and promise us the hospital she would win by a landslide.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Tero wrote:
I don't think it's complaining in any way, shape or form to say I DEMAND that Ashton live up to his promise of paying back for the election. And there's nothing to say he will go back on that promise - it's just a friendly reminder.

As for Clarke running here - my theory is that she just tip toed around the hosptial issue just in case she lost in her own riding. If she were to run here now (not saying she will, just options open) and promise us the hospital she would win by a landslide.

"Pay up Ashton" was a friendly reminder? what is a not friendly reminder sound like? Not sure why a reminder was needed when the bill is not yet even due and no by-election has yet been held. That'a like Shaw cable sending you a reminder mid month your cable bill would be due - it's tacky.

Anyways both parties promised up a hospital so I suppose we will now sit back an wait for the business case to be done and see what it says.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I doubt very much that Christy will be parachuting into this riding. I'd love to see it.......Premier here and Dan back doing a good job with city finances......but the reality is that it will be a long standing MLA that already qualifies for a pension that will step aside.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

twobits wrote:I doubt very much that Christy will be parachuting into this riding. I'd love to see it.......Premier here and Dan back doing a good job with city finances......but the reality is that it will be a long standing MLA that already qualifies for a pension that will step aside.

I know - who's going to come up with "zero tax" increases for us little people again...
Darn it, I think I'm already missing Dan :)
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Last edited by Buckeye19 on Jul 25th, 2013, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

nickroth wrote:Never gets old seeing the losers - bitter, union loving, economy crushing, NDP supporters complain on these forums :)

Really - all of this because I used a little sarcasm and I'm not in awe of our outgoing mayor?

It might be worth slowing down there friend - you hardly know me after all (and might be surprised). And at the risk of imploding your world, life is not black and white but an "infinite shade of gray" despite what George or Vic said (i.e.: "You're either with us or with the <insert favorite demon>"). Not being a fan of this mayor doesn't mean a hard-left pundit nor "union loving" as you aptly put it. Are you still with me?

While I appreciate his efforts during his tenure, he made some serious errors in the last few of years (which I won't repeat here). Keeping in mind that being mayor is not an easy job, was he simply pushed around by certain councillors? did he bite more than he could chew or was he simply wearing too many hats? One will never know however, his record in office it is not particularly brilliant and I'm not alone thinking along this line (specifically referring to the last municpal elections). Province-wise, let's not oversimplify things again - the people have spoken and I respect that but the election results are not a "carte blanche" for Christy, the Liberals or our well-intentioned future MLA. They would be well advised not to forget this.

Agree to disagree?
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Congratulations Mayor Litke.
On May 16th CBC News reported that "Penticton mayor and now-Liberal MLA Dan Ashton has offered to cover the cost of a byelection up to $35,000."
I trust that one of your first pieces of business as Mayor will be to hold Dan Ashton to his promise and recoup his portion of the bielection costs.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Tero wrote:It's all well and good if he gets granted this extension (obviously) but we taxpayers won't forget that he promised over 30k of his own money to fund a new mayoral election if he were to be elected MLA. I hope this is the first campaign promise he keeps!

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#92079

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#102011

Thanks for making good Dan. :-)

Return to “Central Okanagan”