Ridiculous Gas Prices – 142.9 and Climbing

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Ridiculous Gas Prices – 142.9 and Climbing

Post by Queen K »

Stations here are coming down to 144.9! WOW! Big help there to us all Big Oil.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Tonight in a 10 minute drive across Penticton saw gas 142.9, 145.9 and 146.9. This morning the Falls had 147.9 and about 2 hours later down to 142.9. Kaleden was steady at 141.8.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

krocky wrote:The FACT is that somebody stood up to the government when the doubters said it couldn't be done.

Yes, but ultimately the government answers to the voter, and big oil answers to their shareholders. Big difference. We can't force the government to dictate terms to a legal business entity if they are operating within the law. The most the government can do is perhaps set up some method of subsidizing gasoline prices. This would in essence mean that all taxpayers would be helping pay the fuel bills of those that use it which is hardly equitable in the big picture, and is the main reason that those countries that have in the past used subsidies are (or have already) moving away from them. If I drive a smart car and you drive a Hummer, should I be helping with your gas bill?

I'd love to see gasoline sell cheaper, who wouldn't? But do we really have a right to tell any business what they can or can't charge for their product? The way it works in a free market economy is that price is a function of supply and demand. Why would I sell a product to you for X dollars when there are people prepared to pay X+ for the same thing? Do you feel that your desire to get the product cheaper should trump my desire to sell to a buyer willing to pay more?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

-fluffy- wrote:If I drive a smart car and you drive a Hummer, should I be helping with your gas bill?

Insurance works that way, those of us who don't have claims help to pay for those that do and if it didn't none of us could afford to have insurance and without insurance the economy would suffer greatly. Imagine if you bought your new smart car and totalled it the next day and were just out the money, how many of us could afford that.??
-fluffy- wrote:I'd love to see gasoline sell cheaper, who wouldn't? But do we really have a right to tell any business what they can or can't charge for their product?

When they are price fixing and have removed competition from the equation I think we do. The supply and demand justification changes slightly when you don't have any choice but to purchase the product. (even if you do drive a smart car) They know they have us over a barrel (pun intended) so they stick it to us and "I believe" we should fight back with ANY means available to us.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

1.) Insurance companies do what they have to to turn a profit, and they make big money too. Should we boycott them?

2.) You have to be able to prove price fixing in court and no one has been able to do that. I'd suspect that they just keep a close eye on what their competition is charging and act accordingly, which is what any business would do.

I'll tell you what, you come up with a plan that will carry a message to big oil without harming the small guys at the bottom of the chain and I'll sign on, I expect a lot of people would. Until then I think I'll walk to the store, at least that has the immediate effect of lowering my gas bill.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Took a run to Omak yesterday;...gawd. Gas is 389 a U.S. gal which is really 4 litres here approx. filled with 89 mid grade for 3.99 gal and saved the equivalent of 50 cents a litre or $2.00 gal.....criminal what our government allows the gas companies to do to us!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

watchkat wrote:Took a run to Omak yesterday;...gawd. Gas is 389 a U.S. gal which is really 4 litres here approx. filled with 89 mid grade for 3.99 gal and saved the equivalent of 50 cents a litre or $2.00 gal.....criminal what our government allows the gas companies to do to us!

$3.89 per US gallon = $1.06 per litre Canadian which is .359¢ cheaper than Osoyoos BC

So taxes on fuel outside both Victoria & GVRD is before GST is .3117¢, so to come close to US prices the taxes on fuel would have to be removed.
That would remove 100's of millions from revenue of both Federal & Provincial government coffers..... hmmm to recover said revenue an increase of personal income tax.

But fuel prices would be similar to the US. lol

just a thought
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

watchkat wrote:Took a run to Omak yesterday;...gawd. Gas is 389 a U.S. gal which is really 4 litres here approx. filled with 89 mid grade for 3.99 gal and saved the equivalent of 50 cents a litre or $2.00 gal.....criminal what our government allows the gas companies to do to us!

Keep an eye on those prices. US gasoline is subsidized to the tune of billions of dollars a year, and Obama is actively pushing to end those subsidies because of their expense for one, and because cheap gasoline discourages fuel efficiency by consumers.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

-fluffy- wrote:1.) Insurance companies do what they have to to turn a profit, and they make big money too. Should we boycott them?

OK now you're just being snarky.. I get it, the majority of people on here do not think a boycott is the answer. That's fine, so just keep doing what you've been doing (absolutely nothing) and perhaps we'll be having this discussion again at $3.00 litre.

In the mean time enjoy your "smart cars" until you can't afford to fill them either. As for those of you who struggle to make ends meat and have a hard time paying these ridiculous falsely inflated prices, the Castanet jury is in and the verdict isss...
Drive a smaller vehicle and/or drive less and if you can't, then "too bad for you".. The oil companies are entitled to their 100 BILLION dollar profits and as Canadians we should do what we do best....nothing..!! (now I'm being snarky)

Cheers everyone and thanks for you input..!!!!!!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, this was a productive discussion.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

krocky wrote:OK now you're just being snarky.. I get it, the majority of people on here do not think a boycott is the answer. That's fine, so just keep doing what you've been doing (absolutely nothing)...

Nothing? Quite the contrary. I gave it some thought and came up with a plan. I made a deliberate effort to use less gasoline. My gasoline bill has gone from over $500 a month to under $200 in the last two years and I still make it to work every day. It's good for the environment, and good for my wallet, and that will be my strategy until a better one comes along.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Captain Awesome wrote:Well, this was a productive discussion.

To which you contributed absolutely NOTHING..!!
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

-fluffy- wrote:Nothing? Quite the contrary. I gave it some thought and came up with a plan. I made a deliberate effort to use less gasoline. My gasoline bill has gone from over $500 a month to under $200 in the last two years and I still make it to work every day. It's good for the environment, and good for my wallet, and that will be my strategy until a better one comes along.

Congratulations, I'm sure you single handedly stopped the price from being $1.60/litre, you sure showed them..!!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

krocky wrote:Congratulations, I'm sure you single handedly stopped the price from being $1.60/litre, you sure showed them..!!

If the point of the exercise is to reduce individual fuel costs then yes, I'd have to say I've met with some success. The steps I took were simple and showed immediate results. How's it going with you? Doesn't it make sense to do what you can at home before you go crying to government or big business to solve your problems for you?

One big reason why so many see gasoline costs as a significant barrier rests with convenience, a reluctance to give up driving short distances, driving alone, driving inefficient vehicles, driving when public transit options are available, and making multiple trips when one will suffice. There is a basic mindset that vehicular travel should be cheap and unlimited that lets us hop in the vehicle without a lot of thought as to the costs involved, both monetary and environmental. Maybe it's time to take a hard look at what we are willing to do on an individual basis to help the situation.
Pkunko
Fledgling

Post by Pkunko »

krocky wrote:Congratulations, I'm sure you single handedly stopped the price from being $1.60/litre, you sure showed them..!!

It's not about "showing" anyone, it's about responding to a price signal with something other than gum flapping about the need for a boycott. If you can't afford to pay for it, then you need to consume less of it, or rearrange your priorities so you can afford it. Clearly Fluffy has taken some measures to consume less, and is seeing a resulting financial benefit - seems pretty simple to me.

Return to “Central Okanagan”