New Nightclub

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

New Nightclub

Post by Anonymous123 »

Opal - the night club, will be opening in the old Element location tonight. Good luck to the new owners.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-92208-21-.htm#92208
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
logman
Übergod

Re: New Nightclub

Post by logman »

I have no experience in the business but being open 15 hours a week, how do people possible make rent,pay staff and make some sort of living ? Just wondering.
jccamp95

Post by jccamp95 »

Easy....$8 beer and $10 jd
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Is it really that expensive for drinks in the clubs? People must show up half wasted? Even at those prices it would be a stretch to make money to pay rent, staff and have anything left over.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Who owns this liquor licence? Let me guess. A girlfriend or spouse of a shady dirtbag in town?
StraightUpLogic
Fledgling

Post by StraightUpLogic »

logman wrote:Who owns this liquor licence? Let me guess. A girlfriend or spouse of a shady dirtbag in town?

City councillor John vassilaki is the primary stakeholder.

Cover charges alone are huge money. Liquor sales are all profit.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

StraightUpLogic wrote:Who owns this liquor licence? Let me guess. A girlfriend or spouse of a shady dirtbag in town?

City councillor John vassilaki is the primary stakeholder.

Cover charges alone are huge money. Liquor sales are all profit.

So you don't have to buy the liquor, mix, pay staff, pay rent, pay for utilities, pay for interior decorations, tables, chairs or anything else out of the liquor sales? Interesting.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

StraightUpLogic wrote: Cover charges alone are huge money. Liquor sales are all profit.

A comment you would expect from someone who has only signed the back of a paycheque....never the front
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
StraightUpLogic
Fledgling

Post by StraightUpLogic »

twobits wrote:A comment you would expect from someone who has only signed the back of a paycheque....never the front

And you know me how? And what experience do you have in running bars?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's just that there's more to running a night club, or any business for that matter, than raking in buckets of cash and skipping away to the bank. If night clubs are so lucrative why did Penticton go from four to one? There has been a trend building for years away from establishments that promote drinking for the sake of drinking, it's more of a dining scene these days.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

-fluffy- wrote:It's just that there's more to running a night club, or any business for that matter, than raking in buckets of cash and skipping away to the bank. If night clubs are so lucrative why did Penticton go from four to one? There has been a trend building for years away from establishments that promote drinking for the sake of drinking, it's more of a dining scene these days.

Even the dining scene these days can be tough.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

StraightUpLogic wrote:And you know me how? And what experience do you have in running bars?

What experience do you have running a successful bar? Your statement deems us to question that. As for me - 15 years standing behind and managing bars. All successfully I'd like to add.
darkaengel

Post by darkaengel »

i was there on friday night. saw a smaller guy get pretty beat up by some meathead for a good few minutes in the lineup outside, while the doorman appeared to do nothing. went inside and found out they had no cash machine on premises. left, got cash, came back and ordered shots of patron for 5 bucks because the bartender didnt know what patron was.

cant see this place staying open very long.
Lake_View

Post by Lake_View »

The new operators bought the opportunity from the Vasilakis. They have zero experience running a nightclub and are coming into the project with very little money. That is why no renovations were done and they had their new staff do a lot of the cleaning prior to opening. It could be a very long winter for them, if they don't attract the money crowd. Penticton today is a very tough nut to crack, even for experienced operators.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Slightly off topic but still re nightclubs....what's with the Mule extending their hours from 10pm to 2am and now to 12pm (noon) to 3am? What will people do there all afternoon? Its NOT going to be a strip joint; that's already been stated. No windows in the place; its rather a dull place to spend an afternoon. Obviously they must be focusing on making it into a sports bar with big screen TV's and serving more food? I don't know; just curious. Haven't been in the place since it was Chapparels, years ago.

Return to “Central Okanagan”