Who's running?

DblDwn11
Fledgling

Who's running?

Post by DblDwn11 »

Now that the final election results will be confirmed shortly, the race for the Mayor's chair will begin.

So far the slate looks similar to the last ballot with one addition, Litke.

But I am sure there are several more candidates just waiting to declare their intentions....

So,

Who do you think should run?

This could be a pivotal election with the potential to really shake up city hall.
livewire
Fledgling

Re: Who's running?

Post by livewire »

Hopefully we will get a few new faces that can shake things up a bit...
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

I see that Lynn Kelsey put her name back up for election. I don't always agree with some of her ideas but I give her credit for putting her name on the ballot.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Unless there is some dark horse out there, we are gonna have Litke as our Mayor. Dark days ahead for Penticton.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

twobits wrote:Unless there is some dark horse out there, we are gonna have Litke as our Mayor. Dark days ahead for Penticton.

I don't believe they've even called the by-election, yet - have they?

How 'bout it two bits? Any chance of you saddling up a white stallion and riding into town to save and maintain the status quo? With all due respect and absolute sincerity, after reading your posts for the last couple of years, I trust that you would be a perfect replacement for Mr. Ashton - if indeed, that is what the majority of Penticton's residents desire.

So, what happens if Mr. Litke does take the big chair? Are we then in for another, (this time taxpayer funded) by-election?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
mountain sky
Fledgling

Post by mountain sky »

I would like to see a Mayor who has a different vision and approach than the previous administrations (many years). Some one who is willing to look at best practices of succesful small city's that have the same geographic, demographoc assests that we have. Someone who does not sell to the lowest bidder, understands the bad practices and lack of investment that has led us to be where we are today. Without some drastic intervention, we have nowhere to go but to continue our downward spiral and lack of investment that has hampered our development.

Stop the NYMBISM, self-interested, small minded approach to development and City enhancement and let's get Penticton back on the map as the wonderful place to invest, live, work, retire, holiday, play, and explore that we can be. Penticton has incredible natural assests and location that most other places would die to have. Let make the best of it and stop trying to "just get by".
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

mountain sky wrote:Someone who does not sell to the lowest bidder, understands the bad practices and lack of investment that has led us to be where we are today. Without some drastic intervention, we have nowhere to go but to continue our downward spiral and lack of investment that has hampered our development.

Stop the NYMBISM, self-interested, small minded approach to development and City enhancement and let's get Penticton back on the map as the wonderful place to invest, live, work, retire, holiday, play, and explore that we can be. Penticton has incredible natural assests and location that most other places would die to have. Let make the best of it and stop trying to "just get by".

Great post -- I just wondered if you'd clarify your development comments. I have noticed an uptick in development activity of late. Seems to me that we have turned a corner.

So where are we as a city? Where are we going?

When you read through the forums, those seem to be the questions on peoples minds.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Exactly. Property prices have effectively crippled the camping market and scared away much of the tourist trade that put us on the map. Our geographical position off major trade routes makes industry with other-than-local markets less attractive. Where to go from here? The wine industry continues to flourish, we are still a big attraction to people looking for a place to retire, and it's nice to see the college expanding. Is this enough to support a future?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

mountain sky wrote:I would like to see a Mayor who has a different vision and approach than the previous administrations (many years). Some one who is willing to look at best practices of succesful small city's that have the same geographic, demographoc assests that we have. Someone who does not sell to the lowest bidder, understands the bad practices and lack of investment that has led us to be where we are today. Without some drastic intervention, we have nowhere to go but to continue our downward spiral and lack of investment that has hampered our development.

There is a vicious rumor out there that the "Deer Hunter" may decide to run again for mayor. OMG....haven't we seen enough of that type of individual on council? Arrogant record extreme! Litke isn't that bad afterall; didn't like him at first but sure doing a good job since D.A. flew the coupe.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote: Litke isn't that bad afterall; didn't like him at first but sure doing a good job since D.A. flew the coupe.

Really? Since you are claiming that Litke sure is doing a good job since Ashton left, it should be really easy for you to list just exactly he has done to earn your accolades?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Well, for starters, Litke is approachable, listens to your concerns and just generally an all around likeable fellow from what I've witnessed recently. Unlike the last guy. Lets hope the rumor re the Deer Hunter running isn't true, though I know that YOU would approve.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:Well, for starters, Litke is approachable, listens to your concerns and just generally an all around likeable fellow from what I've witnessed recently. Unlike the last guy. Lets hope the rumor re the Deer Hunter running isn't true, though I know that YOU would approve.

I would be willing to bet you have never spoken to either Ashton or Litke and your accolades for Litke stem only from your support of an NDP agenda and have nothing to do with any action by Litke in the past six weeks. You can't even name one!!

If anyone that runs against Litke hopes to defeat him, they will have to make sure the electorate knows Litke is orange NDP to the core.

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

You're completely incorrect, twobits. I know both Dan A. and Gary L. personally. Have had run ins with only ONE. No need to mention which one. Gary is not afraid to make decisions and has been great at taking over the chair since Ashton left. I don't have to get into which ones....if I were to list what Ashtons record of accomplisments were, the list would be very very small. Get over it and get behind the deer hunter; your second favorite candidate who might consider running.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

As a person who firmly believes in free enterprise, capitalism being a base for the economy and less bureaucracy I would typically lean well away from someone who is a card carrying NDPer as a leader.

However, unless some incredible candidate who has yet to toss their hat in the ring does so, I will very happily vote for Gary Litke. I believe in Gary's ability to galvanize the community rather than divide and conquer, his ability to understand that growth and development is vital for fiscal sustainability.
I have racked my brain to come up with ways this "red" could damage the local economy or community through his political leanings and cannot find any.
City council has a mix of different personalities, beliefs and leanings. A good balance overall.
Pearce, Ashton ( both of whom I supported vehemently) turned out to be polarizing figures (I won't use the word leader), especially Pearce.

Penticton needs a leader that is not wishy washy, someone who will bring people together, make decisions that need to be made, encourage and foster growth, show compassion and empathy when needed, stand up and be heard when required, can think for themselves. I believe in Gary Litke's ability to do and be all those things.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

dreamon wrote:As a person who firmly believes in free enterprise, capitalism being a base for the economy and less bureaucracy I would typically lean well away from someone who is a card carrying NDPer as a leader.

However, unless some incredible candidate who has yet to toss their hat in the ring does so, I will very happily vote for Gary Litke. I believe in Gary's ability to galvanize the community rather than divide and conquer, his ability to understand that growth and development is vital for fiscal sustainability.
I have racked my brain to come up with ways this "red" could damage the local economy or community through his political leanings and cannot find any.
City council has a mix of different personalities, beliefs and leanings. A good balance overall.
Pearce, Ashton ( both of whom I supported vehemently) turned out to be polarizing figures (I won't use the word leader), especially Pearce.

Penticton needs a leader that is not wishy washy, someone who will bring people together, make decisions that need to be made, encourage and foster growth, show compassion and empathy when needed, stand up and be heard when required, can think for themselves. I believe in Gary Litke's ability to do and be all those things.

I am willing to concede that Litke's orange has faded a bit since he first became a councillor. It's probably a result of being on the admin side of the table for a few years. His silence during the CUPE negotiations and core review spoke volumes. Having said that however, he is still too far left IMO. While he does support some developments, I find his own personal views of sustainability and type off development overshadows practicality and what the marketplace is calling for. For example, Litke loves densification. Nothing wrong with that as we have to build up to some degree but if you look around we have plenty of inventory in that regard. However if someone wants to create some single family lots......places that many like to raise kids in, he is not so supportive. I remember Councillor Vasilikakis once pointing out to him that he raised his own kids on a lot in Wiltse flats with a trampoline and badminton net in the back yard and yet now he thinks everyone should raise their kids on the 13th floor of a condominium built out of recycled materials and right next to a bike lane and bus stop.

Return to “Central Okanagan”