Hooligans partying in the bush

GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Hooligans partying in the bush

Post by GoStumpy »

For a third time in a row, every time we've been to Sawmill Lake on a Friday or Saturday night, there has been a large group of young people I'm naming 'Hooligans' arriving during the day and into the night, drinking & partying, and then leaving for home somewhere around 2-3am...

I am on the lake fishing when they start arriving, ripping up the road at incosiderate speeds, doing doughnuts in the dirt, etc..

The next morning I am left cleaning up the beer cans, beer bottles, liquor bottles, cups, TP, etc that is left in their wake.... Meanwhile being kept up to loud party music until 2am at what SHOULD be a quiet serene lake in the wilderness.

I only have a slight description of a few vehicles, couldn't get close enough after nightfall to get any plate numbers (not willing to go near a group of rowdy drunks in the middle of nowhere), so if anyone has any information that could help, feel free to PM me.

I'll be letting the CO know of the activity, hopefully one weekend they'll show up & call cabs for every single one of them.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
logman
Übergod

Re: Hooligans partying in the Bush

Post by logman »

It really is the Wild West out in the woods. No respect. The CO s are so stretched and underfunded I think there are only 2 between vernon and the US border. Maybe that's wrong but there is not enough enforcement that's for sure. Some respect for the surroundings that these partiers have would be nice. I don't ever remember leaving a mess when we went camping. Respect.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Yeah, respect is the main thing here.. or lack of it. Respect for the environment, fellow campers, etc...

It's unfortunate, if these lads went camping with their parents and were taught proper etiquette in the woods, pack out what you pack in, NO GLASS, etc, this wouldn't happen. These kids are completely ignorant to the protocol that should be followed when in the woods.... They just see it as away from their parents and less likely for cops to show up!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

I,m with you stumpy, We are in the woods a lot more then most people.After a three or four day trip my wife and I will have at least three big black garbage bags full. While out quadding with friends we make it a bit of a competition to see who can bring in the most garbage.within reason, "No burnt cars." the bottles and cans we pick -up we give the money to the grand kids , So now they do the same. too bad more kids were not taught this. Plus with the price of gas nowadays ...hmmmm easy to get 40.00 worth on a week end. you can do that without hardly tryin.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

You never attended any bush parties in your youth? You are all a prime example of why the youth are leaving the valley in droves. How can you stand living in such a grumpy state. Get over yourselves, or, even better, do the valley some good and move.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

To Static The youth are leaving this valley in droves because their are few jobs in Vacation type places such as ours To support them. As far as you are concerned ,I suppose you are one of the youngsters that leave a dirty filty mess after you attend a bush party, Guess your Moma would be proud. If thats what she taught you.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Static wrote:You never attended any bush parties in your youth? You are all a prime example of why the youth are leaving the valley in droves. How can you stand living in such a grumpy state. Get over yourselves, or, even better, do the valley some good and move.

You're not defending this kind of behavior are you Static? If that's the case, please book a seat with the "droves". I grew up in Summerland when "the bush" was a ten minute drive from downtown and attended plenty of bush parties. Sure there was drinking and doping and noise but we always left the site cleaner than we found it and breaking glass was usually met with a hearty round of "boo". We were also in the habit of picking locations where we had the place to ourselves.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Static wrote:You never attended any bush parties in your youth? You are all a prime example of why the youth are leaving the valley in droves. How can you stand living in such a grumpy state. Get over yourselves, or, even better, do the valley some good and move.

I'm not as old as you think I am...

Are you really defending loud drunken parties in the bush and then driving home after leaving your garbage and glass???????
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

-fluffy- wrote:You're not defending this kind of behavior are you Static? If that's the case, please book a seat with the "droves". I grew up in Summerland when "the bush" was a ten minute drive from downtown and attended plenty of bush parties. Sure there was drinking and doping and noise but we always left the site cleaner than we found it and breaking glass was usually met with a hearty round of "boo". We were also in the habit of picking locations where we had the place to ourselves.

Of course you all cleaned up the party site. Give me a break. Youth do not change.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

james-d wrote:To Static The youth are leaving this valley in droves because their are few jobs in Vacation type places such as ours To support them. As far as you are concerned ,I suppose you are one of the youngsters that leave a dirty filty mess after you attend a bush party, Guess your Moma would be proud. If thats what she taught you.

Youth also leave because the retirees have numbed the town of all the fun.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

-fluffy- wrote:
You're not defending this kind of behavior are you Static? If that's the case, please book a seat with the "droves". I grew up in Summerland when "the bush" was a ten minute drive from downtown and attended plenty of bush parties. Sure there was drinking and doping and noise but we always left the site cleaner than we found it and breaking glass was usually met with a hearty round of "boo". We were also in the habit of picking locations where we had the place to ourselves.

I am not defending this behavior, but it is a natural part of being a teenager. I already moved because the town has lost all its luster. Of course you cleaned up your mess...lol. That boo still goes on. How about you boring folk pick a spot where the partyers are not going. Why should they change their ways? It is a two way street my friend.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Good riddance to trash - responsible teens can have fun at bush parties and still respect the environment.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Static wrote:Of course you all cleaned up the party site.

Yes, we did. Continued access to our party spots depended on our taking care of them, even if it meant a few people going back up the next morning and policing the area for trash and empties.
Give me a break. Youth do not change.

From the sounds of things Static, youth has changed. The sort of mentality that would let people do the things that GoStumpy is describing and simply walk away from it was actively discouraged within the group. Of course it might not be accurate to base a general opinion of all today's youth on the actions of a few ignorant boneheads, you would know better on that account Static. Are they all like you?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Stumpy is generalizing. There might b a few bad apples but the majority remain responsible partyers. Furthermore, I would say that youth today respect the environment far more than older generations. But feel free to debate this. Given recycling on a grand scale is a product of the 90's, older generations were the worst polluters.

Getting all boozed up and driving home? Are you kidding me? Younger generations were horrible for this. Laws being enforced today have forced everyone to become more responsible. The majority of youth today do choose a DD. I have a friend who is RCMP, the majority of drunk driving cases are people above the age of 40.
wiirnotamused

Post by wiirnotamused »

Stumpy is generalizing. There might b a few bad apples but the majority remain responsible partyers. Furthermore, I would say that youth today respect the environment far more than older generations. But feel free to debate this. Given recycling on a grand scale is a product of the 90's, older generations were the worst polluters.

We're talking about different groups though, imo.
I moved to the Okanagan 30+ years ago and there's no doubt about it, there's been a 10-fold increase in the number of selfish, disrespectful pigs heading up into the bush. The occasional bush party at grad time is one thing but it's virtually impossible nowadays to find a road-access lake that isn't populated by idiots on weekends, & mostly not teens either. I believe the reason is the relative cheapness of 4wd trucks, rvs and off-road machines. The problem element are not 'outdoors people' per se & until recently, they didn't venture far from the valley bottom. I've virtually given up on going to Pennask, Hatheume, Whitehead & other lakes in the area because of the noise & dust of quads, the loud music & mess left behind by others.

It's a shame but it's a fact of life: make things simple and you attract simple people.

Return to “Central Okanagan”