Penticton foundry concerns

larrylunchbucket

Penticton foundry concerns

Post by larrylunchbucket »

does anyone have any concerns about the expansion of the penticton foundry ?
at present it belches out invisible but pretty noxious pollution
will this increase , where are the controls ??
there is little information about this large addition to the plant
soon it will be reality
I am thinking that I cannot be the only one that is affected by this
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Penticton foundry concerns

Post by southy »

Have you tried contacting City Hall with your question?
larrylunchbucket

Post by larrylunchbucket »

yes I did and just heard back today that the expansion is thankfully not for production , it is difficult to find out what the exhaust consists of and what kind of monitoring is being done , I am sure it is not good
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So is the Foundry in the industrial part of town and not residential right, I'm always amazed when people can't handle smell, noise or sight of some industries. Then that industry must either move or shutdown.

Industry = jobs

just a thought
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Its sometimes better NOT to post a comment if you don't know the area in question. The Foundry is just below a LOT of high priced homes up on Wiltse Flats, including the acting mayors home. It can be a rather smelly area when the Foundry fires up. I would personally never live in that area due to that very fact and also its one of the highest taxation areas in town.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Have to agree with Gordon. Any business expanding in the Okanagan should be welcomed. I understand your concern about the exhaust from the foundry. Maybe I am naive, but I trust that there are rules and regulations they would have to abide by.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

XT225 wrote:Its sometimes better NOT to post a comment if you don't know the area in question. The Foundry is just below a LOT of high priced homes up on Wiltse Flats, including the acting mayors home. It can be a rather smelly area when the Foundry fires up. I would personally never live in that area due to that very fact and also its one of the highest taxation areas in town.

The foundry has been there since 1935 so I would suggest that common sense should prevail when considering a purchase of a home that sits above a business such as this. To complain about the smell now seems as crazy to me as buying a home next to an airport and complaining about the noise.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I've often wondered about the smell from the foundry as well, it does get pretty intense at times. I'd like to think that if there are serious toxicity issues that they would not be permitted to continue. Plus there is the fact that they were there first.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

XT225 wrote:Its sometimes better NOT to post a comment if you don't know the area in question. The Foundry is just below a LOT of high priced homes up on Wiltse Flats, including the acting mayors home. It can be a rather smelly area when the Foundry fires up. I would personally never live in that area due to that very fact and also its one of the highest taxation areas in town.

coffeeFreak wrote:The foundry has been there since 1935 so I would suggest that common sense should prevail when considering a purchase of a home that sits above a business such as this. To complain about the smell now seems as crazy to me as buying a home next to an airport and complaining about the noise.

Exactly coffeeFreak

Those who purchase a home next to the industrial area, should know what they are moving next door to before buying. Industry = noise, smells, dust and/or unsightly views.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

What kind of foundry is this?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

grammafreddy wrote:What kind of foundry is this?

We've been producing ductile iron castings, gray iron castings, and high chrome white iron castings for clients across North America from our foundry in Penticton, British Columbia, Canada since 1935.

Penticton Foundry is a full service foundry. Services include complete on-site CAD design and pattern making facilities; quality controlled alloy composition; precision casting; fine finishing; through shipping service and export documentation.

http://www.pentictonfoundry.com/
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

grammafreddy wrote:What kind of foundry is this?

Here is a google map location GF:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Penticton ... a&t=h&z=16
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Here is another view of the Foundry.
http://www.vpike.com/?place=568+Dawson+Ave%2C+Penticton+BC%2C+V2A+3N8+&r=e
What with the MOE having offices right in Penticton, you would think that the emissions from the Foundry would be under close scrutiny.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

larrylunchbucket wrote:does anyone have any concerns about the expansion of the penticton foundry ?
at present it belches out invisible but pretty noxious pollution
will this increase , where are the controls ??
there is little information about this large addition to the plant
soon it will be reality
I am thinking that I cannot be the only one that is affected by this

To the original poster above, I would also wonder what exactly is in those emissions. I would never suggest pressuring the business to close as they definitely WERE there first; long before the houses built up on Wiltse Flats (for the most part), plus we need the industry for jobs. In comparison, however, you may recall when the Government forced the closure or at least the complete UPGRADING of beehive sawdust burners in BC. That cleaned up air quality substantially. There is still a burner at Greenwood Forest Products but its a completely superior setup than years back; good to see! I just personally would never live there; much prefer the North end of town, well away from that location. Taxes are cheaper and I don't smell the foundry.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote: I would personally never live in that area due to that very fact and also its one of the highest taxation areas in town.

I am pretty sure the tax rate in Wilste Flats is the same as your neighbourhood XT. So what is it you personally don't like? The value of the homes?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Central Okanagan”