Horses on Lakeshore

inmho

Re: Horses on Lakeshore

Post by inmho »

What's right before my eyes( and anyone who cares to look) is not a "what- if", it is a fact. It is hot, the horses have no shelter, and are out for long hours. Anyone who is in the Lakeshore Drive area frequently can observe this for themselves. No what-ifs involved. If I said that they aren't being fed, etc. that would be a what-if because I have no way of knowing.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Here's a website regarding carriage horses that might be enlightening.

http://www.tallyhotours.com/our-horses/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

inmho wrote:What's right before my eyes( and anyone who cares to look) is not a "what- if", it is a fact. It is hot, the horses have no shelter, and are out for long hours. Anyone who is in the Lakeshore Drive area frequently can observe this for themselves. No what-ifs involved. If I said that they aren't being fed, etc. that would be a what-if because I have no way of knowing.

Are you saying you uninterruptedly follow this operation for its whole extent all day, every day?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
inmho

Post by inmho »

No- I'm not saying I watch all day every day. I have been in the area for long periods of time on a few occasions, drive and walk by frequently, etc. I'm only commenting on what I have seen.
Obviously it seems as though nobody objects to the carriage rides- sad really. Too bad for the horses. I hope all goes well for them , they don't get too overheated , and when this summer is over they get a long , well deserved rest- and don't have to go through the same thing next year.

As for me , I will find alternative places to walk, avoid the beach, etc. as it is just too sad to watch those poor horses.

Over and out.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Seriously, if it's as bad as you want to believe it is: Report it to the appropriate authorities so that it is properly investigated. If you are not prepared to do that, then I have a hard time believing your claim is valid. I know I'm not prepared to tar and feather these people based on one person's claim over the internet.

Make good on your accusation and change the situation.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Reading how some carriage horse owners treat their horse makes me optimistic these horses are also well cared for. They probably wear better shoes than I do too.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I'm thinking of talking the Mr into our going on a carriage ride, because now I'm curious.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Did you read the link posted earlier? I'm thinking the owner of this business realizes that these horses are his livelihood. If he doesn't take care of them, he's in trouble. If he abuses them, he's in trouble. If he exposes them to unnecessary hardships or adverse conditions, he's in trouble. He will be either in trouble from poor health of his horses or outcry from the public.

What you may not be seeing is him resting his horses during the day. Ensuring they get enough water, not allowing them to over heat. I'm not a horse guy but he obviously is and he knows and understands what his horses are capable of. Pulling a cart with a few people on it on paved roads is probably a cake walk for those big fellas.

I don't think its everyone is not concerned for the horses, I think they have just considered some of the points above. Anyone using animals in anyway, especially in a public setting like this, will know they are under a microscope and go to great lengths to ensure their animals are well cared for. If you are that concerned, talk to someone at the SPCA and get their point of view. I bet they've watched him.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

kgcayenne wrote:I'm thinking of talking the Mr into our going on a carriage ride, because now I'm curious.

Are ya sure? Ever see that Seinfield episode where Kramer feeds his horses beans?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Gramma can you say that again just alittle bit bigger as I am hard of seeing :)

Thanks
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

ahhh ... what happend to Gramma's post??
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

inmho wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the horse carriage rides along Lakeshore should be stopped?

Probably.......
I don't understand why some people want to interfere with the means others use to support themselves.
Buy the horse and carriage business, give the folks who own it a whack of cash to live from, and put the horses out to pasture somewhere. Simple!
Otherwise leave them alone; we have animal abuse laws in place, the SPCA, etc., etc. in case these animals are being mistreated.
Go talk to a horse logger and educate yourself!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

inmho wrote:
As for me , I will find alternative places to walk, avoid the beach, etc. as it is just too sad to watch those poor horses.

Hope you don't run into a blind person with a service dog or we will have to start this thread all over again.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Are ya sure? Ever see that Seinfield episode where Kramer feeds his horses beans?

Rusty!!!!!......Classic.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

I have seen the horses and they don't look mistreated to me.

That said, I think trying to change the OP's opinion, is just beating a dead horse.

Return to “Central Okanagan”