Horses on Lakeshore

Tony
Übergod

Re: Horses on Lakeshore

Post by Tony »

Clipper wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the horse carriage rides along Lakeshore should be stopped?

Probably.......
I don't understand why some people want to interfere with the means others use to support themselves.
Buy the horse and carriage business, give the folks who own it a whack of cash to live from, and put the horses out to pasture somewhere. Simple!
Otherwise leave them alone; we have animal abuse laws in place, the SPCA, etc., etc. in case these animals are being mistreated.
Go talk to a horse logger and educate yourself!

It's called animal right activist - PETA or some other type.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Carriage horses - topic.
Have you seen them?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Fancy wrote:Carriage horses - topic.

Carriage horses - not really the topic, more the treatment of said horses. A&W was caught using horse meat. It is a tongue in cheek comment about how it could be much worse.

Fancy wrote:Have you seen them?

Just to be clear, who were you asking? I posted earlier that I have seen them, and they look like they are in fine condition.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

inmho wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the horse carriage rides along Lakeshore should be stopped?

Topic is about the carriage horses - glad you think they are being cared for FSmith59
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

inmho wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the horse carriage rides along Lakeshore should be stopped?

Fancy wrote:Topic is about the carriage horses - glad you think they are being cared for FSmith59

Oh Fancy, please don't start. You have been following the thread and you know very well it is about them being stopped because the OP thinks it is not good for them.

And yes, they look good and I think they add some fun to the lakeshore. Kids like seeing them!!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I haven't seen the horses myself so can't comment on their welfare but business owners (and I did post a link) don't put the time and effort into these animals without considering their well being. Hard pavement? Good shoes. Hot? Water available. Horses need to be exercised and stimulated and it has been proven they like the job.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

I read that link. I've seen those ones in Victoria quite often. The place in Victoria sounds like they have an amazing farm/stable and the treatment and care is top notch!!! Good on them.

I'll talk with these people next time I see them (and they aren't busy). Try and get some more info on their home life (the horses, not the operators). Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
1933-1939

Post by 1933-1939 »

Human beings have to work.. Maybe we should put a stop to that as well. I't against human nature to work hard. We should all be put to pasture. This is just too funny. What a boring live those horses would have...
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I'll bet this guy would agree with you..

and this one...

I have seen carriage rides in many places, even ski hills have them. I have felt more sorry for a horse I see standing by the fence, day in, day out.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Haven't had time to go downtown, today, but here is a Herald article about the people operating the carriage rides.

"Carriage rides now available Thursday, 04 July 2013 02:00 JAMES MILLER

Andy, a 10-year-old Clydesdale, is the latest addition to Penticton's waterfront. Penticton Carriage Tours opened for business on the Canada Day weekend. Standing with Andy, one of their three horses, is owner Tanya Hansen and sales manager Dean Thompson.

Penticton's newest tourism operator, Penticton Carriage Tours, drew a lot of glances on the holiday weekend.

Operating this summer from June 29 through Sept. 3, the horse and carriage company will offer 20 and 40 minute sightseeing tours as well as chartering weddings, graduations and other special events.

The 20-minute tour which begins at The Peach and proceeds down Lakeshore Drive, turning around at the rose garden, costs $15 per person (with children ages 10 and under $10). The longer 40-minute tour, which costs $30 per person, proceeds to Front Street.

Owner and operator Tanya Hansen helped pay her way through the University of Victoria (where she graduated in Biology) by working part-time for six summers at Tally-Ho Sightseeing, a horse and carriage business which has operated on Vancouver Island since 1903.

"With my experience of driving horse and carriage in Victoria, I saw how happy people were on the rides and I wanted to bring that experience to Penticton for locals and tourists alike," said Hansen. "I want to have people leaving Penticton with positive memories. I just can't get away from horses... it's been a lifetime passion of mine."

Hansen grew up in the Okanagan, attending elementary school in Kaleden and graduating from Pen-Hi.

The company rotates three horses: Andy, Zeus and Fritz. Within the first weekend of operation, children knew the names of each horse.
"They (horses) love to work. This is what they're bred for and they've been doing this for hundreds of years. If they're not doing work and pulling, they're not happy," she said noting all three are friendly and don't mind if you pat them.
The horses reside at Foggy Mountain Ranch on Highway 3.

She also restored and painted two carriages which can seat up to six adults. Knowing how to use someone else's camera is also mandatory as the drivers are often asked to take pictures before or after the ride.

Sales manager Dean Thompson said motorists have been extremely polite but asks that they not honk their horn, even as a friendly hello, because the animals don't appreciate it. As the carriages proceed down the lakeshore, many of the visitors snap photos. He said the company hopes to be visible in the community and plans on participating in the local parades. He and Hansen have been studying local history, in particular that of the S.S. Sicamous, and share stories with tourists. Although it wasn't the city's finest hour, visitors have asked about the notorious riot of the early 1990s when The Peach was pushed into Okanagan Lake.

Oh, and one more thing this reporter was wondering about.

"Hopefully it falls in the catcher," Hansen answered. "It's not a perfect system but if it does miss, we always come by afterwards and clean it up."

For reservations or general inquiries call 250-328-5555.

On the net: http://www.pentictoncarriagetours.com"

Note that the lady that owns this company, worked for the Victoria company, that Fancy linked to, for 6 years.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

inmho wrote:As someone who works hard outdoors, I can sympathize with the horse- work is work , but using animals as entertainment is not right.

Fancy wrote:Some animals live to work just like people.

Exactly, and are in fact unhappy if they don't have something to do, like Malamutes and Australian Cattle Dogs.

Unlike some humans, they are happiest when they are working and kept busy.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Hello

I think it is a wonderful idea to have carriage rides down at the beach. Horses are very social animals and love attention. I have 2 ponies of my own which I cart, I only wish mine were as boom proof as the Clydsdale at the beach. The horse looks very healthy and happy. My only concern is standing in the heat, if the owner could put up a nice tent shelter or tie him under a tree. They really do like being worked, they have served us for many years.
Happy Trails
Debby
Have an Awesome Day
Debby
Linda Lou Ross

Post by Linda Lou Ross »

These horses are very well cared for... I have seen horses that have been abused... these horses are beautiful & like I said I can tell they are very well cared for.. Anybody who knows anything about horses can tell you that.. I work for a horse rescue & have seen it all... people who think they are being abused have no idea what they are talking about.. These drafts have been bred to pull.. they are happiest when they are pulling... These horses live together...if one gets out of sight or is returning they will call out to each other.. they are not in distress. The lady who runs this new operation is very kind & cares so much for her horses.. It's a win win thing.. the horses get exercise & help pay for their keep & people get to go for a ride helping Penticton with having a fun city to visit. They won't drop dead from the sun either...if that was true there would be dead horses everywhere... the colour of a horse doesn't make it dangerous for the horse to be in the sun.. I have no idea how people could think that it could... they are horses not people... they get better treatment then some people I know... I think people should get there facts straight before they make silly comments... I will go for a ride.. & enjoy it.. not looking for things that aren't happening... I think it's great for the horses.. better then sitting in a barn bored out of their mind..if you want something to complain about complain about horses that have no food & are covered in bugs & worms & left to die on a logging road.. something to think about..
inmho

Post by inmho »

The horses do look well cared for-not abused. I believe they are (well cared for, that is). I too have seen a lot of abuse- this isn't abuse, but there are some issues. The main things that worry me are the long hours and lack of shade. As someone else said, maybe something could be set up so there is some shade,as there isn't any where the horses have to stand between rides. The hours that they are out there are too long without proper shelter, etc. As far as heat goes, horses do begin to have issues with certain temperature/ heat combinations. That is a fact. You can look it up. There have only been a couple of days so far where those conditions have occurred- but not to the point where the horses would have been in any real danger as they do get water and rest. It is on the very hot and humid days that it will get very hard for the horses, even if they are standing for most of the day. Who said anything about the color of the horses??? Must have missed that....
I have been around horses for a large part of my life, and most people keep their horses (that are working) out of the heat as much as possible , or work the horses early in the day, and in the evening, when temperatures drop.If that isn't going to happen , then shade/shelter, etc. must be provided.
Linda Lou Ross

Post by Linda Lou Ross »

I have spoken to the owner & the SPCA was called to look into these allegations. They came & checked out the conditions these horses are under & got a clean bill of health.. if the SPCA thinks they are OK why the big deal still...When the weather is hot after each ride they are cooled down with a bath..they are covered in sun screen,they have custom made shoes for the pavement.. the rides are short... On hot days my horse stands in the middle of the pasture...he has a choice to go under cover but the sun never bothers him..or any other horses in the area here...I mentioned the colour of horses because I have heard that one before & it was just a matter of time before it was brought up...a very small group are just looking for a reason to shut them down. Why don't people do what I did & ask politely how these horses are & what happens when they go home... I did!! The owner is really nice & she loves those horses... at night they are set free after a good rub down to join their buddies.. If she was abusing them why do they come to her when she calls them? The horses & the owner have a bond. They want to work for her... They get spoiled rotten when they get home for all the work they have done.They don't work everyday... they take turns.. They get a lot of rest.. that's why they look so good...Bottom line there are other horses people should be complaining about not these horses...Penticton is lucky to have them... The owner knows what she is doing..that's a lot more I can say about a lot of horse owners here...You never hear about the horses that have been rescued in Penticton only to call a vet & the horse has to be put down.. the last one we rescued had choke... we got papers to for surrender we paid for a vet to come look at her... she was starving to death..literally... she couldn't swallow. The vet tried everything.. she had to be put down... Everybody knows about the horses on Hwy 97... People start complaining about those situations... not a horse lover who goes above & beyond for her horses... Stop beating a dead horse as the saying goes.... Give it a rest..

Return to “Central Okanagan”