Boat crash on walking pier

twobits
Guru

Re: Boat crash on walking pier

Post by twobits »

Could and should the City have solicited a few quotes for the required repairs rather than just going ahead and doing it themselves? That would have certainly provided some transparity to the invoice amount.
I didn't read the Western News article that downloaded the problem to the prov and fed gov'ts. How does that make sense if the city did the repairs?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Tough one. Part of me agrees that he is entitled to a breakdown of cost and the more cynical part of me wants to say "really? You ran your boat up on a pier in the dark, barely missing people who were on the pier and you want to quibble over protocol? seriously man, even if the bill is a grand or two higher than maybe it should be, just pay it and thank the gods that no one was killed".

And it's not up to him to decide whether or not the work is up to Federal standards. The city needs to be responsible to see that it is. Just sayin.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

If the city isn't responsible enough to give a proper break down of repairs, do you think they are responsible enough to get it certified to the proper standards ???
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I think everyone deserves an itemized bill when it comes to damages and repairs.
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

I think the city was right to get the pier fixed quickly to reduce the chances of liability due to pier walker injury. So, I can see why they didn't put it out to tender, as that would have taken too long. That being said, I agree with CTF that the boat driver/pier smasher should have an invoice that reflects how the city arrived at the figure charged.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's just good business., that's all. As we can see from this thread there is no shortage of people who see a repair bill as fitting "punishment" but in reality the repair bill is a separate issue. I'd like to be assured, as the boat driver obviously does as well, that the repair bill adequately reflects the repairs, and is not some city official's attempt to mete out a punishment of his own, or is being a little opportunistic in lining city coffers.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
MissL
Fledgling

Post by MissL »

Did this fellow not have insurance on his big fancy boat worth tens of thousands of dollars?? Boat insurance does cover liability and would cover the repair costs UNLESS he was committing a crime while driving the boat IE; drinking and driving...I think if he can afford that boat he can afford the bill for damages to the pier. It shouldn't be up to the city to get bids and see who can repair the pier for the lowest price, it's not their fault this guy was carelessly operating his boat at night.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't think it's a question of whether he can afford it or not (it sounds like he can) but just wants an itemized accounting of repairs.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

What does the Kiwanis Club have to do with this Pier? I notice that their name is on it. Did they build it, pay for it, own it? Are they in any way responsible for its upkeep? Asking because I don't know.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Just the fact that the bill comes to $7500 even is suspicious, sounds like an estimate, not an invoice for actual work.
On a different forum
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

[quote="twobits"]Could and should the City have solicited a few quotes for the required repairs rather than just going ahead and doing it themselves? That would have certainly provided some transparity to the invoice amount.
I didn't read the Western News article that downloaded the problem to the prov and fed gov'ts. How does that make sense if the city did the repairs?[/quote

Why is it necessary to have tenders drawn up? If they have trained persons to do the repairs just do it! That is no different then a auto body shop having a vehicle of theirs damaged and then farming the work out. Makes no sense whatsoever!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

driveangry wrote: If the city isn't responsible enough to give a proper break down of repairs, do you think they are responsible enough to get it certified to the proper standards ???

Or how about......If the city isn't responsible enough to give a proper break down of repairs, do you think they are responsible enough to be spending your tax dollars?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Ken7 wrote:
Why is it necessary to have tenders drawn up? If they have trained persons to do the repairs just do it! That is no different then a auto body shop having a vehicle of theirs damaged and then farming the work out. Makes no sense whatsoever!

If the body shop themselves damaged their own vehicle, sure, it would make no sense to farm out the repairs. But if you damaged their vehicle, would you not want some transparency on the bill they gave you for the repairs? Would you want an itemized list of parts and labour after receiving a $7500 bill and no prior estimate from the body shop.

And in my earlier post I said nothing about putting out tenders for the job. For work of this small scale, simply calling two reputable contractors for a site visit and estimate would have provided all the transparency required. Two days max.

As to your comment above, "If they (the city) have trained persons to do the repairs just do it", I say the city also has trained sewer and water personnel as well as excavators and gravel trucks. Why is it then when a sewer or water line is replaced, it goes to tender and contractors perform the work and not city personnel? When you can answer that question it should seem reasonable for the guy to ask for an itemized receipt.

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

twobits wrote:Could and should the City have solicited a few quotes for the required repairs rather than just going ahead and doing it themselves? That would have certainly provided some transparity to the invoice amount.
I didn't read the Western News article that downloaded the problem to the prov and fed gov'ts. How does that make sense if the city did the repairs?

I'm saying why. Simply they have people to repair it, fix it as I said. I used the auto body thing as a example. Never mind that you are confused.

The City needs not ask for bids. I will agree maybe itemize the costs of material and labour to the fellow who is responsible.

I say use the K.I.S.S. method, keep it simple stupid.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Ken7 wrote:

I'm saying why. Simply they have people to repair it, fix it as I said. I used the auto body thing as a example. Never mind that you are confused.

The City needs not ask for bids. I will agree maybe itemize the costs of material and labour to the fellow who is responsible.

I say use the K.I.S.S. method, keep it simple stupid.

Ken. I am pretty sure it is you that are confused. Go re read my post. If I damage an auto body shop's vehicle, you can be damn well sure I am going to ask for an estimate first and reserve the right to have it repaired elsewhere if they are refusing to provide an itemized bill. As to city staff doing it cuz they can.......they can also install sewer and water lines but they can't do it as cost effectively as an outside contractor. What makes you think they are any better at repairing docks?

Return to “Central Okanagan”