Boat crash on walking pier

dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Boat crash on walking pier

Post by dogspoiler »

I would guess that the city work crew, not being contractors did not keep records of time and materials.
Black Dogs Matter
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:My question for the city......why are you balking at such a simple and reasonable request?

An article in yesterday's Western has the city's Facilities and Recreation Manager Chuck Loewen downloading blame for that onto the provincial and federal governments. The boat driver is asking for details on the nature of repairs he is being asked to pay for, and some assurance that the repairs will meet federal standards as the pier is under federal jurisdiction. It is worthy of mention here that the issue of inadequate lighting on the pier is not new. Coming south on the lake towards the pier the existing navigation lights get lost in the shoreline lights of the city.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

seems like a big cry baby for being a dumb *bleep* behind the wheel.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I was wondering, because of the boaters interest in making sure the pier is up to Federal standards if he and his Lieyer are hoping for a bill that says, upgraded or brought up to standards or something along those lines. That may open up the city for a lawsuit for inadequate lighting. Just a thought.
Black Dogs Matter
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Symbonite wrote:seems like a big cry baby for being a dumb *bleep* behind the wheel.

I'm going to have to bill you for that. Just shut up and pay it.

get my drift?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If a lawyer submitted an invoice that just stated the amount - would anyone pay it?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Of course, Lieyers are beyond reproach.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Or other professionals for that matter - even an electrician provides hours and a breakdown of what was done.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

An article in yesterday's Western has the city's Facilities and Recreation Manager Chuck Loewen downloading blame for that onto the provincial and federal governments. The boat driver is asking for details on the nature of repairs he is being asked to pay for, and some assurance that the repairs will meet federal standards as the pier is under federal jurisdiction. It is worthy of mention here that the issue of inadequate lighting on the pier is not new. Coming south on the lake towards the pier the existing navigation lights get lost in the shoreline lights of the city.[/quote]

You could say any light would get lost in the shoreline, it comes down to paying attention, the shoreline doesn't have a red blinking light however many feet out on the water. This crash the boat was going West anyone going South will run aground if they don't pay attention pier or not, all the lights in the world or not its all about paying attention to your surroundings. Not everything has big huge blinking lights and signs saying don't hit me that is the risk and why you use extra caution at night, especially when you know exactly where the pier is!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Fancy wrote:Or other professionals for that matter - even an electrician provides hours and a breakdown of what was done.

My dentist doesn't!
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

fall wrote:My dentist doesn't!

He should, most do.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Exactly fluff. I doubt any of the pay and shut up crowd here even saw what the actual damage was after the boat was removed. I did and if I was this fellow, I would be asking for a justification for 7500 bill as well. This was not a fine. Nor was it a negotiated repair contract so he has every right to ask for an itemized invoice. My question for the city......why are you balking at such a simple and reasonable request?[/quote]

I doubt most who have sympathy for this person even have a boat or have been out on the water on Okanagan at night!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fall wrote:I doubt most who have sympathy for this person even have a boat or have been out on the water on Okanagan at night!

You are mistaking sympathy with agreeing that the rights of an individual to request an accounting of work done is reasonable.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

You are mistaking sympathy with agreeing that the rights of an individual to request an accounting of work done is reasonable.[/quote]

True, I would probably want a detailed invoice but if it didn't come easy and I could not force them to provide that given the circumstances and at fault I also probably would not make a big issue publicly about it especially if I had the money, I would rather pay and put this behind me! The invoice amount will not change even if there was a cost breakdown and he doesn't agree with it. We do not get a dollar for dollar breakdown of where all of our tax dollars go.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fall wrote:The invoice amount will not change even if there was a cost breakdown and he doesn't agree with it. We do not get a dollar for dollar breakdown of where all of our tax dollars go.

When billing someone for repairs, there should be a breakdown regardless of where the invoice is coming from considering the amount of work and different crews involved. It is a reasonable request to ask. There is accountability to the taxpayers and payment out for different services will be documented.

Return to “Central Okanagan”