Penticton BC fruit packers co-op closing

larrytwo

Penticton BC fruit packers co-op closing

Post by larrytwo »

the BC fuit packers co-op on Dawson
its pretty sad that this real local resource is going to close in October ..
the produce is always fresh reasonably priced , we will not get the same quality after the doors close and a few nice ladies will lose their jobs
there is a petition to keep it open
Tell your friends !
Larry
rubato

Re: Penticton BC fruit packers co-op closing

Post by rubato »

I live in Summerland and go to the Apple Barn on Jones Flat Road East. Apples and pears are 50 cents/lb and it is open 24 hours a day from September 1st until March. I also buy pumpkins and squash there in the autumn. It is run on the honor system with bins of fruit, a weigh scale, bags/boxes and a coin drop all within easy reach. On-site cold storage ensures a steady supply of top quality locally grown fruit. If you are heading north, turn right on Jones Flat Road and in less than a minute off the highway you will see a big red metal "Apple Barn" sign. Walk right in and enjoy!
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

now if the city could just get the doors to close at Moduline,Peerless,Foundry,Britco and completely get Structurlam out of town they can have their wish of filming old ghost town scenes for spaghetti westerns with the false fronts and a shady saloon(wait they burnt that down)...but I'm sure the jail and city hall will be bright shiney,new and full....of idiots
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Is it the entire packing house that is closing or just the retail storefront ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Stargazer wrote:now if the city could just get the doors to close at Moduline,Peerless,Foundry,Britco and completely get Structurlam out of town they can have their wish of filming old ghost town scenes for spaghetti westerns with the false fronts and a shady saloon(wait they burnt that down)...but I'm sure the jail and city hall will be bright shiney,new and full....of idiots

Please do explain to us how the city is involved in a business decision by BC Fruit Packers to close a business. I could be wrong but I think they are probably closing it because not enough people are going there to buy fruit. How many times did you patronize them?
If you would like to blame the city for something, complain about this hot weather they caused. That would make much more sense.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

They aren't..but shows how pathetic our council is,ever see them out at any of the listed businesses to say"hey's,hows things,how can we help" with the "western/herald" bum buddies taggin behind...only time you see that is election time...right Dan?...instead gimme your tax dollars or go away...or..can't sell your wares,we'll call a "big box store" for you,they'll run you outta town

stand corrected,Dan did make a visit to Blaze King several years back,but it was only after a letter to the bum paper,caused a stir he made the trek..dazed and confused
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Stargazer wrote:They aren't..but shows how pathetic our council is,ever see them out at any of the listed businesses to say"hey's,hows things,how can we help" ...

What are you saying should be done ? If my tax dollars are going to be used to prop up failing businesses I'd sure like to see a plan in place with a good potential for some realistic return in some form.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

rubato wrote:I live in Summerland and go to the Apple Barn on Jones Flat Road East. Apples and pears are 50 cents/lb and it is open 24 hours a day from September 1st until March. I also buy pumpkins and squash there in the autumn. It is run on the honor system with bins of fruit, a weigh scale, bags/boxes and a coin drop all within easy reach. On-site cold storage ensures a steady supply of top quality locally grown fruit. If you are heading north, turn right on Jones Flat Road and in less than a minute off the highway you will see a big red metal "Apple Barn" sign. Walk right in and enjoy!

The Apple Barn rocks!!!!!!!!
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

If the packing house stops selling fruit at retail price in Penticton that's not a big deal.

But if 50% of apple growers go out of business since 1980, and the average size
of orchards goes form 10 acres to 20 acres - which means less smaller farmers, that
is a big deal.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
GeorgeO

Post by GeorgeO »

larrytwo wrote:the BC fuit packers co-op on Dawson
its pretty sad that this real local resource is going to close in October ..
the produce is always fresh reasonably priced , we will not get the same quality after the doors close and a few nice ladies will lose their jobs
there is a petition to keep it open
Tell your friends !
Larry

Where is this petition? How can people sign it?

Return to “Central Okanagan”