Westbench and Naramata to become part of Penticton?

southy
Lord of the Board

Westbench and Naramata to become part of Penticton?

Post by southy »

So I see in today's Herald Andre Martin who will be running for council is suggesting that the city of Penticton get the ball moving with regard to taking in Westbench and Naramata.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/front-pag ... uncil.html

I really do think Mr. Martin might find he has a major fight on his hands from folks in both the Westbench and Naramata. The infrastructure costs alone would be prohibitive. Do you pump sewage from the Westbench and Naramata all the way to Penticton? Do you build new sewage plants in both areas? What about water ... street lighting ... sidewalks .. snow removal ..the list goes on. But then again, he says he just wants to sit down and start talking about it ... see if makes sense.
Save yourself some time Andre ... nothing to discuss in my opinion. Leave the folks in Westbench and Naramata alone. Deal with real city of Penticton issues and God knows we have many.
bipdl
Board Meister

Re: Westbench and Naramata to become part of Penticton?

Post by bipdl »

It should be interesting to see how a certain "Elvena Slump" (that CAN'T be a real name!) goes all apoplectic over this proposal... promises to make for some entertaining reading in the days ahead!!
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Southy has good points in his reasons why it is a bad idea. But he also sensationalized his headline.

Westbench and Naramata to become part of Penticton... 99% unlikely on a good day, but a just comment made by someone who is going to run for council and has not even been elected. And if I recall, he only got 400 votes last election he entered.

So he basically has no chance to be elected, therefore his proposal is moot.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Naramata No

West Bench, Sage Mesa, Upper Carmi, Eastside road to Heritage Hills Yes. These are all bedroom communities that clearly identify with Penticton and use all the services provided.
And being amalgamated into the city does not automatically mean sewer and water must be provided. If you are not serviced with sewer, you are not taxed for it on your tax notice. It does however make them a part of a larger entity where the financing of such services becomes possible as well as increasing the city tax base.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Central Okanagan”