Pay to Park at the SOEC

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Pay to Park at the SOEC

Post by southy »

twobits wrote:I hope this is sarcastic humour

Actually twobits, I'm being quite serious. Would the city allow this on another of their vacant properties? Say downtown? Of course not. So why in the world would they allow this to happen on the dorm site? It's an eyesore and I for one would like to know if these individuals are paying the City or SOEC to park there. Simple question ... no sarcasm needed!!!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:

Actually twobits, I'm being quite serious. Would the city allow this on another of their vacant properties? Say downtown? Of course not. So why in the world would they allow this to happen on the dorm site? It's an eyesore and I for one would like to know if these individuals are paying the City or SOEC to park there. Simple question ... no sarcasm needed!!!

It's a parking lot that is free to park in outside of concert hours. Anyone can park there all day for free including yourself. Is your issue that the vehicles have for sale signs on them? Doesn't seem much different than the people who park there cars on lakeshore drive with a for sale sign in the window.....or the community/convention center lot.......or any city street for that matter. People just recognize the high volume traffic and exposure the location receives. I don't have any problem with it as long as the vehicles are removed at the end of each day and the numbers don't get so large as to impede others from finding a parking spot should they require one.
Complaining about Summerland parking a trailer to advertise a community event is a bit petty also. It is not like it is a permanent billboard and why not support our sister community
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

twobits wrote: I don't have any problem with it as long as the vehicles are removed at the end of each day and the numbers don't get so large as to impede others from finding a parking spot should they require one.
Complaining about Summerland parking a trailer to advertise a community event is a bit petty also. It is not like it is a permanent billboard and why not support our sister community

From what I can see the vehicles are not removed at the end of each day. Once you have one or two or three vehicles for sale I guarantee you there will be more. This is my point!!! Is the city allowing this property to be turned into a used car lot? Has a very real eyesore factor.

As far as allowing advertising on this property, I'm not being petty at all towards the Summerland event, which by the way is being put on by Bull Riders Canada which is a private company. My point is that local businesses must pay to advertise inside the SOEC. They must pay to advertise on the Scoreclock. They must pay to advertise on the electronic reader board outside. Why is the city allowing a company to use their property for advertising purposes? Now if the City is collecting a fee for this, wonderful. But something tells me they are not. I'm all for supporting our neighbouring communities, I simply do not agree with the double standard that might be occurring with this property and the City of Penticton.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I would hope that they would not allow the site to become an informal used car lot and the vehicles should be removed each day. A simple "no overnight parking" sign would suffice. As far as the summerland rodeo advertising, I think you are making much ado about nothing. If it becomes a landing point for say reader boards, I would agree with you, but right now I don't see anything to get excited about.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Central Okanagan”