Pay to Park at the SOEC

irish61
Fledgling

Pay to Park at the SOEC

Post by irish61 »

I got a notice today that beginning Aug 3/13 it will cost $10.00 to park at the SOEC at the Alan Jackson concert. Cash only. Can't say I'm a fan of that. With all the fee's and costs involved to go an event there, now we will have to pay $10 to park in their lot? Not too happy to be reading that!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Pay to Park at the SOEC

Post by XT225 »

I received the same notice today. I was always under the impression that "parking" at the SOEC was just one of those extra charges that they built into the price of the tickets; guess not. The whole parking issue in Penticton is completely out of control in my opinion. Two hour FREE parking from 200 - 600 blocks on Main St (no meters); one hour free in some parking lots to the East of Main; metered parking or ONE hour on parts of Martin St and Nanaimo, etc. Now charging for boat trailers at Skaha boat launch (I don't really have a major problem with that). Consistency is something that this city just doesn't understand. I believe (it may have gone up by now) that parking at the Prospera Place in Kelowna was only $5. It wouldn't surprise me if the city is broke and needing to up revenues. If so, then quit the drunken spending spree on things that we cannot afford at this time.
bccan

Post by bccan »

There are many other cities in BC where you can park for free or for a much lower cost than Penticton
Penticton city councilors are greedy, maybe they should take a paycut to pay for their mistakes
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

So park in the adjacent gravel lot that everyone else does?

To be honest, we never parked in the SOEC parking lot because we thought it was a pay parking lot!
irish61
Fledgling

Post by irish61 »

According to the map included in the email that gravel lot will cost $10 too!
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

irish61 wrote:According to the map included in the email that gravel lot will cost $10 too!

Oh really? Shoot!! :(

Didn't think that was their land to charge. Hmm.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I think that "gravel parking lot" is the famous Hockey Dorm Site that went bad, isn't it? Wouldn't want to park there; might get tied into the court case that the city is facing...lol. I'm afraid that the local residential streets will be plugged during event nights now. Kinda like the old Super Valu lot; not many folks will park there if they can get something nearby for free.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

XT225 wrote:I believe (it may have gone up by now) that parking at the Prospera Place in Kelowna was only $5

You are correct.

From Prospera (ticketmaster) site...

Parking
There is pay parking available which accepts coin & credit cards. Day to day parking is by the hour. On event nights patrons must purchase a $5.00 ticket after 6:00 pm.

Prospera has always been $5 for event parking. The arena is also in the heart of downtown, so they make money off of daytime parking, which SOEC never will.

I guess Penticton council wants to make up for the years they gave it away for free! (sarcasm)

But still a bad call at $10, IMO.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

Ten bucks is completely outta line!

Simple solution really... just park in any of the surrounding car dealership lots and walk the few extra steps (just make sure your vehicle is brand appropriate for 'nearest the doors' space availability!)... Sorry all you Honda, Kia, Toyota, Hyundia, Ford and Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge owners, unless you all park in the used-car lots, you'll be sitting ducks - easy to bust and tow.

*This is where the Smilie would go.*

Seriously though, $10 is over-the-top considering the prices SOEC already extorts in other fees given the lame shows they bring to town.

Ahh yes, PENTICTON - The Tribute Band Capital of Canada. (Read; has-been wannabe's.) Sweet!
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I agree with the fee. User fees are fair. Go for dinner at the Keytle valley Pub before the concert and park there. Or one can walk or take a cab.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Take a cab to the concert for 10 bucks. Then you won't have to worry about how many refreshments you have while you are there either.
Seriously, ten bucks seems a bit steep, five would have been reasonable. What actually surprises me is that it took so long for all these parking fee's to arrive. There are not many cities with a population north of 20k where pay parking is not the norm.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I got the same email. I was not happy to see the new $10 charge. One more reason not to patronize the SOEC.

Very surprised to see they are including the gravel parking lot in cash grab. I guess next is residential parking for the entire area around the SOEC during events, to force patrons to have to pay for the pay parking, that's what they did at Prospera Place in Kelowna.

Since they are really pushing Vees tickets with lower prices, this new gouge was poor timing.

Just went into the Valley First Ticket rip off site. For fun I indicated I wanted 2 tickets for the upcoming Alan Jackson concert.
Price $74.53 each,,, so you’d think 2 X $74.53 would be $149.06, right ? ,,, and I guess now + $10.00 parking. Well you'd be wrong the two $74.53 tickets would cost $186.50.

The additional $37.44 ?
    - $3.00 Facility Fee (each ticket)
    - $13.97 Convenience Fee (each ticket)
    - $3.50 Order Charge (for the entire order)
    - If you want them sent to you that's another charge

If someone wants to sell me something, just quote the price, in the case of Alan Jackson, it’s $93.25 each. Just say that.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I would accept an extra $5 to park at the SOEC but not $10; plus they ONLY take cash? Huh? Many folks don't carry cash these days. Reducing (I think they cut them in half?) the price of the Vees games tickets and NOT charging for parking for those games is wise, so why gouge those who attend concerts? Cabbing it down; that would easily cost $10 EACH way; depending on where you live. Until the city places "resident parking only" on local residential streets, I can see them being lined with concert goers cars on Event nights. Starting with a "Reasonable rate" and slowly increasing it over the years would've been the wise thing to do. Not sure who is actually driving the horse - the SOEC management or Council. Someone sure isn't thinking. Perhaps one of the new folks running for council might use this lunacy by suggesting they would reverse the decision if elected, to their advantage.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

If you can afford to go to an event, you can afford to pay for parking. <--- The people who set the rates know this.

However, if an extra $10 is going to be troublesome, then a person's determination to go to the event will motivate them to make alternate arrangements.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

We're going to split the cost, so the $10 won't be too bad.

I'd be happier with $5 though.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Central Okanagan”