Pay to Park at the SOEC

twobits
Guru

Re: Pay to Park at the SOEC

Post by twobits »

bipdl wrote: Or do you feel everybody else's grandchildren should pay so you can go to the occasional hockey game and/or music show if and whenever the whim so takes you?

Another display of financial acumen. The inability to differentiate between a fully funded capital project and ongoing operational deficits.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I don't have a huge problem with pay parking at the SOEC but it should apply to ALL events there, including hockey games. That would also allow reduction of that $10 to a more acceptable $5 or so. What's good for one should be applied to all.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

twobits wrote:Sure, I'd go for that as long as we also apply the same philosophy to the art gallery, the library, the ice rinks, convention center and best of all the community center with the big new swimmin hole in it.
Thank you for pointing out other examples of a community spending above it's means. These are great examples of our current, childish 'I want that!' mentality that so dominates today's 'gimme it now, we'll let someone else worry about picking up the tab later' financing philosophy. As Detroit has learned, there is a ceiling! Sadly, some simply refuse to face this fact. (I know, I know - Detroit's problems go much, much deeper than what's happening in Penticton, but the lesson is still there.) Spend your future now on baubles and trinkets, and keep your fingers crossed! Smart! Good stewardship! Tinkering around the edges with parking fees is tantamount to bailing the Titanic with a soup can!

twobits wrote:None of these will ever come as close to operating in the black as the SOEC will.
In what parallel universe do you imagine the SOEC will ever be operating in the black? I suppose that'll happen even sooner now thanks to all the parking fees they collect... you know... "to the benefit of taxpayers". I wonder... do the OHS vans pay for their parking too?

twobits wrote: And there is nothing wrong with people using the asset of their choice to pay a reasonable user fee to lessen the burden on those that don't.
Finally, you make some sense. Good for you! Does this mean you're in favour of toll roads and abolishing the property tax exemption given to a certain golf course? Great!

IMO, the only ones tearing Penticton down are those who cannot (will not?) see beyond their own short-sighted, personally profitable or self-indulgent motivations to keep doing what's not working, but always in a bigger way. The concept of 'quality over quantity', though understood by wise ones, is apparently lost on those who relentlessly want more-more-more while refusing to look at the greater long-term picture of sustainability and what constitutes legitimate 'value' vis-a-vis a truly meaningful quality of life within a society. Shallow and pathetic souls invariably champion the ideals of celebrating shiny 'stuff' at the expense of the greater number's general good and well-being. They even overspend what's not theirs to do so with! (Of course, this is just my opinion in general and is not aimed at any particular individual. Let the reader decide if their ears are ringing.)

twobits wrote:Another display of financial acumen. The inability to differentiate between a fully funded capital project and ongoing operational deficits.
So you acknowledge, the SOEC is a 'black hole' of "operational deficits" pretending to be a "fully funded capital project". Hmmm. That makes perfect sense to me! (NOT!) Please don't try and mislead us stupid taxpayers with mumbo jumbo whitewashing about 'fully funded' white elephants. If the SOEC is 'fully funded', than this newly implemented parking fee is a city cash grab that's unrelated to the SOEC's (supposedly) projected budgetary bottom line. So which is it?
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Have removed the two-member hissy-fit personal remarks. Keep the personal remarks out of the conversation, people.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

Jo wrote:Have removed the two-member hissy-fit personal remarks. Keep the personal remarks out of the conversation, people.

Thanks Jo... glad to!
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Ok ... this is one of those ... "gee I wonder posts". Happened to drive by the SOEC and the vacant dorm lot this morning. I noticed a big 5th Wheel branded with rodeo advertising for Summerland. Does anyone know if:

a/ This vehicle has been given approval to park there by the City of Penticton?
b/ This vehicle has been given approval to park there by the SOEC management?
c/ If they are paying a fee to park there and advertise the bull riding event - in Summerland?
d/ If they are just how much money are they paying and to whom?

Next "gee I wonder" ... on the same vacant property there are vehicles for sale .. gee I wonder if ...

a/ They received approval from the City of Penticton?
b/ Were these vehicles given approval from the SOEC management?
c/ Is the city planning on turning this property into an eyesore for the sale of used vehicles?
d/ Do these individuals who are selling vehicles actually have a business license to compete against the local auto dealerships?
e/ If they are paying just how much money are they paying and to whom?

If none of these above are paying anything then why should we the taxpaying public be charged to park there??

Just wondering folks ...
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

Crowds for events aren't great at SOEC. And now they are charging for parking?
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

pentona wrote:Parking at Propsera Place in Kelowna did used to be $5 for many years I believe but now its $10 and even for Hockey games.

http://prosperaplace.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=18

You are correct. I went to Prospera website first, and must have missed that. The Ticketmaster link still says $5 for parking. Maybe they should update that!
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

pentona wrote:I don't have a huge problem with pay parking at the SOEC but it should apply to ALL events there, including hockey games. That would also allow reduction of that $10 to a more acceptable $5 or so. What's good for one should be applied to all.

Really? Pay $10 to park at a Vees game where the game tickets are only $10? That would kill Vees attendance, IMO.

I don't mind the $10 parking charge for major events where you are already paying $50-$100 for your ticket.

But to pay that for parking, when supporting a local Junior team, is nuts.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Prospera charges $10 for all events including hockey games. Same should apply here but at a more acceptable/startup $5 rate (since the hockey isn't the same level as Kelownas).

PARKING:
The parking lot at Prospera Place is run by Impark Parking. A rate of $10.00 is charged during concerts/events and $10.00 is charged during hockey games. Spaces are available on a first come first served basis, with no in-out privileges. You may access the parking lot from either Water St. or Cawston St. There are also a number of parking lots in the area surrounding Prospera Place.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

pentona wrote:Prospera charges $10 for all events including hockey games. Same should apply here but at a more acceptable/startup $5 rate (since the hockey isn't the same level as Kelownas).

PARKING:
The parking lot at Prospera Place is run by Impark Parking. A rate of $10.00 is charged during concerts/events and $10.00 is charged during hockey games. Spaces are available on a first come first served basis, with no in-out privileges. You may access the parking lot from either Water St. or Cawston St. There are also a number of parking lots in the area surrounding Prospera Place.

Yes, thank you. I get it.

I disagree with you for charging $10 to park at a Vees game. As far as I can tell from the SOEC website, they are NOT charging for parking for Vees games, just major events.

Please think about this, for the sake of argument...do you think charging $10 to park at a Vees game will help, or hurt, attendance? Not what YOU think is fair, but what the majority that attend those games would think is fair.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

You didn't get my drift. I suggested 5 dollars for ALL events, including Vees games. Ten dollars IS too much for ANY of the events, including hockey.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

pentona wrote:You didn't get my drift. I suggested 5 dollars for ALL events, including Vees games. Ten dollars IS too much for ANY of the events, including hockey.

lol...and I guess you didn't get my "drift". I think $10 is fine for big ticket events, where you are already paying $50-$100 for tickets. I don't agree with $5 or $10 to see a Vees game.

Considering there are 40 or so Vees games a year, I personally think charging for parking for those games will hurt overall attendance. It's our local Junior team. They need community support. They are not NHL or even an affiliate team. The community can suck up the money as a whole. Little things like a local hockey team MAKE a community what it is. We Are Canadian!!!

The team is important to the community.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Ok ... this is one of those ... "gee I wonder posts". Happened to drive by the SOEC and the vacant dorm lot this morning. I noticed a big 5th Wheel branded with rodeo advertising for Summerland. Does anyone know if:

a/ This vehicle has been given approval to park there by the City of Penticton?
b/ This vehicle has been given approval to park there by the SOEC management?
c/ If they are paying a fee to park there and advertise the bull riding event - in Summerland?
d/ If they are just how much money are they paying and to whom?

Next "gee I wonder" ... on the same vacant property there are vehicles for sale .. gee I wonder if ...

a/ They received approval from the City of Penticton?
b/ Were these vehicles given approval from the SOEC management?
c/ Is the city planning on turning this property into an eyesore for the sale of used vehicles?
d/ Do these individuals who are selling vehicles actually have a business license to compete against the local auto dealerships?
e/ If they are paying just how much money are they paying and to whom?

If none of these above are paying anything then why should we the taxpaying public be charged to park there??

Just wondering folks ...

I hope this is sarcastic humour
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

concernie wrote:Crowds for events aren't great at SOEC. And now they are charging for parking?

Attendance at the events for the last Cpl of years has been excellent actually.

Return to “Central Okanagan”