Hey Pen...

Tranquillity

Hey Pen...

Post by Tranquillity »

Can someone explain this? I can find a worse example if needed. There's a river right by this that leads to Ok lake
Attachments
936730_10152815622590333_1057463780_n.jpg
Do no harm, but take no s___.
FSmith59
Banned

Re: Hey Pen...

Post by FSmith59 »

Your second pic isn't showing.

I'm not really sure what you want explained. And I don't want to see a "worse" example.

Try saying what it really is, and why it offends you. Then maybe you will get a reply.
Tranquillity

Post by Tranquillity »

There's only one photo. It's a pic I took of a fuel pump hose in a truck as if you're filling up at a gas station in Pen. Literally right under the hose nozzle in the same photo is a sewer drain that says "Leads to fish habitat". There's a diesel one as well that has the same drains with black all around the drains from who knows how much crap put down there.

I really hope no one's allowing fuel/diesel/oil/antifreeze to just drain into our rivers. Fish or people use of the waters. Disgrace if it's genuine.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... 13ea95.jpg
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Tranquillity wrote:There's only one photo. When I first clicked on this there was another pic box with the red X in it.It's a pic I took of a fuel pump hose in a truck as if you're filling up at a gas station in Pen. Literally right under the hose nozzle in the same photo is a sewer drain that says "Leads to fish habitat". There's a diesel one as well that has the same drains with black all around the drains from who knows how much crap put down there.

I really hope no one's allowing fuel/diesel/oil/antifreeze to just drain into our rivers. Fish or people use of the waters. Disgrace if it's genuine.

The pic is still hard to make out where it is. I think I know where you mean, though. I get what you're thinking, but the pic doesn't look as big as a fuel truck.

You sure it isn't actually pumping (sucking up) creek water for some reason? Maybe for irrigation or something?
Tranquillity

Post by Tranquillity »

This is a picture I took myself while filling. The other side of this lot has an ugly diesel area[Don't have a photo of it yet, but can if needed]. I want to know if someone will do something about this or may look in to it before I start saying names. For all I know those are old and it's not where the fluid dripped goes anymore, though I kind of doubt that. I posted this on the Pen facebook group and it went no where. If nothing happens here I might just to into city hall. I'm sick of seeing disgusting things like this
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Tranquillity wrote:I want to know if someone will do something about this or may look in to it before I start saying names. If nothing happens here I might just to into city hall. I'm sick of seeing disgusting things like this

If you have proof of something, you should go to city hall. No point in naming names. Especially on this or any other social forum. That can backfire.

Take your concerns to the appropriate places, that can actually do something about it.

Good luck.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Tranquillity wrote:This is a picture I took myself while filling. The other side of this lot has an ugly diesel area[Don't have a photo of it yet, but can if needed]. I want to know if someone will do something about this or may look in to it before I start saying names. For all I know those are old and it's not where the fluid dripped goes anymore, though I kind of doubt that. I posted this on the Pen facebook group and it went no where. If nothing happens here I might just to into city hall. I'm sick of seeing disgusting things like this

I wonder who the genius is that designed that!
Send it in to the Ministry of Environment, and tell them the location.
[email protected]
FSmith doesn't grasp what this picture represents.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Better yet, before anyone goes chicken little here, how bout asking the station owner or manager first. With today's regulations I think you will find that the drain leads to a separator that is required by law and not into the ground or the nearby creek. The fish symbol cast grate is probably just a reminder to everyone to avoid spills and not to leave your hose unattended.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That was my thought too, that this may well be a regulatory requirement of some sort. I've wondered about the same thing at the commercial cardlock where I buy my fuel. Perhaps some further investigation is warranted.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tranquillity

Post by Tranquillity »

That sounds more likely, I'd hope it's that at least. I've thought about asking the owner but I go there in my companies name, and they are used very frequently, I don't want to cause drama. They know me well. I still might on a day off, just go in casually after I fill up and ask...
Giants Head
Fledgling

Post by Giants Head »

Gas stations and bulk plants do not have storm drains that are connected to either the storm system or into waterways. That storm grate has those words cast into it from the foundry and anyone can buy one and place it anywhere. This issue has come up several times here in Penticton. Gas spills of any size are handled by the ministry of enviroment who has a official in Penticton who handles all chemical response issues.
Tranquillity

Post by Tranquillity »

Good to hear. That seems like a really stupid thing to buy and place there though...
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Giants Head wrote:Gas stations and bulk plants do not have storm drains that are connected to either the storm system or into waterways. That storm grate has those words cast into it from the foundry and anyone can buy one and place it anywhere. This issue has come up several times here in Penticton. Gas spills of any size are handled by the ministry of enviroment who has a official in Penticton who handles all chemical response issues.

Those castings come in plain form as well,and they are cheaper without the engraving.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “Central Okanagan”