Challenge Penticton sign on Munson Mountain

mug48

Challenge Penticton sign on Munson Mountain

Post by mug48 »

Just read in the Herald our city council wants to put a large Challenge Penticton Canada sign over the Penticton sign on Munson Mountain. Wow, in my opinion our city council has found another way to ruin something good. Any other thoughts on this topic? Judy Sentes says she wants it either for a month or all year round.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Challenge Penticton Canada Sign on Munson Mountain

Post by Anonymous123 »

Have at it! Didn't the Speedway do that a few years back?
Last edited by Anonymous123 on Aug 7th, 2013, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Bretbaby
Übergod

Re: Chalenge Penticton Canada Sign on Munson Mountain

Post by Bretbaby »

No thanks. Leave it as is.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

A permanent thing or just for race weekend ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Since the Challenge Race is really a week long event; the sign would be acceptable for that duration but NO longer. Who would be paying for it?
inmho

Post by inmho »

If city council feel that they just have to have the sign , then t would be tolerable for the duration of the race. Any longer would be ridiculous. Having a sign there at all will ugly , and unnecessary . Agree with the OP- would ruin the look of Munson mountain.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Should this move ahead, I wonder how the City will handle other requests from organizations and businesses wanting to do the same. It would seem to me that they are setting a precedent. I realize that Challenge is a major community event in it's first year and needs all the exposure it can get, but what's next .... Peachfest .. a major country act at the SOEC ... alittle bit of a stretch but political advertising, ie: Vote for Joe Smith .. is the City charging a fee for this? If not, why not ... think of Munson Mountain as the Okanagan's largest billboard, the revenue stream is unlimited. You could even add laser light advertising. The CIty might be on to something here.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Not a good idea to take over a 'Penticton' landmark for one event. Possibly do for the week of the event only, for TV.
Instead, maybe put a large sign on both sides of the highway crossing between Ford and Home Hdwr. It will be seen on the crossing and not diminish the 'Penticton' landmark on Munson Mtn.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

*try again this time on topic and without the personal attack/Jo*
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Challenge Penticton sign on Munson Mountain

Post by Symbonite »

I saw that same article on the weekend when I was visiting my parents. We discussed how Penticton lost a big thing called the Ironman. This is one thing that it looks like this new challenge is going to be a challenge in advertising as no one really knows about it. Sounds like something is not right and this could be the beginning. I dont know...but we will see.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

johnhenry wrote:*try again this time on topic and without the personal attack/Jo*

Ok, I hope they do it, but at least spell it correctly.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
FSmith59
Banned

Re: Challenge Penticton sign on Munson Mountain

Post by FSmith59 »

Symbonite wrote:I saw that same article on the weekend when I was visiting my parents. We discussed how Penticton lost a big thing called the Ironman. This is one thing that it looks like this new challenge is going to be a challenge in advertising as no one really knows about it. Sounds like something is not right and this could be the beginning. I dont know...but we will see.

From website:

http://www.challenge-penticton.com/

Is there a cap on participants?
Yes. Registration will be limited to 2,000 individual entries and 500 teams. Staggered wave starts will ensure the course does not get crowded.

I do believe that I read somewhere that there were 1500 registrants. That was a couple months ago.

I'd say this new event is going to do just fine for the city.

Return to “Central Okanagan”