Liberal hospital promise

John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Liberal hospital promise

Post by John500 »

What happened to the hospital promise? I understand its going to take more then 4 years to even start ? Or was it just another promise to get elected?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Liberal hospital promise

Post by Rwede »

It's on track as per the discussions during the 2013 election.

What, you thought it would be built and open 2 months after the election?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Rwede wrote:It's on track as per the discussions during the 2013 election.

What, you thought it would be built and open 2 months after the election?

I don't recall them saying that it would take at least 4 years to even start (that's on track?), during 2013 election discussions. Please provide a link.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

CHBC news.
austin007

Post by austin007 »

what a surprise .Dan and Christy your pants are on fire
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

I think your own expectations have put timelines in your heads that were never committed to. Read the press release on the project. It's happening exactly as promised, with the first step being the business case. As much as the NDPers on this thread would like to say otherwise, they lost the election because all they did was criticize the plans to build a new tower instead of presenting their own plans.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:15 AM

PENTICTON - Premier Christy Clark today announced that government is proceeding with business case planning for a new patient care tower at Penticton Regional Hospital.

"After my visit to Penticton last month, I committed to look at how we can move along plans for the new tower," said Premier Clark. "Penticton residents have been telling us they need an expanded hospital - and we listened."

Penticton Regional Hospital provides regional health services to patients and families in the South Okanagan. The hospital was originally constructed in 1950. Currently, outpatient care components of the hospital need upgrading to meet modern hospital design standards.

"A new hospital in Penticton will be welcomed by patients and their families as well as the hundreds of committed health-care workers who care for them," said Health Minister Margaret MacDiarmid. "Moving to business case planning is a critical step in making it a reality."

"Moving ahead with the business case for Penticton Regional Hospital redevelopment is very exciting news," said Interior Health board chair Norman Embree. "The new tower will benefit patients and health professionals alike."

Business case development will get underway next month and is expected to be completed in 2013-14. Following approval of the business case, procurement for construction of a new patient care tower would commence.

The scope, cost and schedule will be finalized as part of the business case. It is anticipated that the capital cost of the redevelopment project will be shared between the Province and the Okanagan Similkameen Regional Hospital District and the South Okanagan Similkameen Medical Foundation.

"The patient care tower expansion of Penticton Regional Hospital is a high priority for our communities," says Okanagan Similkameen Regional Hospital District board chair Janice Perrino. "We are very happy to see the Province agree to moving forward with the business plan, and look forward to seeing construction begin."

A new tower would maximize interior wood content in accordance with the Wood First Act.

Since 2001-02, approximately $8 billion has been spent on health-sector capital projects in British Columbia.

Over the next three years, British Columbia will benefit from investments, such as new health-care facilities, as part of a $2.3-billion health sector capital plan.

Media Contacts:

Ben Chin
Office of the Premier
250 588-5113

Ryan Jabs
Media Relations Manager
Ministry of Health
250 952-1887 (media line)

Lisa Braman
Communications Officer
IH Central
Interior Health
250 870-5788
250 864-5567 (cell)

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2013/03/p ... pment.html
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

I'm glad they're taking the time necessary to (hopefully) do this thing properly.

It's a highly complex project, a vitally important project, and an extremely expensive project. It would be incredibly stupid if the powers-that-be rushed it through purely for the sake politically self-interested optics.

I'm not fan of any political stripe, but in this case, I believe Victoria is doing the right thing. We need to be patient (sic) and let the process run it's course. Urgent medical situations will continue to receive the attention they require (elsewhere), just not as conveniently (locally) as some among us would like to see.

All in all, I think our medical system is pretty damned fine, given what we individually contribute towards it. (Yes, there exist some weaknesses and problem areas, but what man-made system is perfect?)
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

If you voted for the fibbers thinking you were getting a new hospital well LOL. They have to build a prison and fund the building of St Pauls Hospital. How long have they been waiting?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The NDP sore losers must shudder when they see progress being made on the hospital project.

Another announcement today.

PRH business plan moving ahead

by Wayne Moore - Kelowna - Story: 96579
Aug 15, 2013 / 9:30 am

Interior Health has selected two successful health care design professional companies to provide architectural, electrical, mechanical and information technology consulting services in support of the development of a business plan for a new patient care tower at Penticton Regional Hospital.

“This project is a high priority for our government and today’s announcement of successful proponents being selected to support the business plan development is another step towards a new patient care tower at Penticton Regional Hospital,” says Health Minister Terry Lake.

The companies selected to provide consulting services are:
•Architectural services - IBI Group
•Electrical services and IMIT services - Genivar Inc.
•Mechanical services - Genivar Inc.

“I’d like to thank Interior Health for moving forward with planning for the new patient care tower. Having companies in place to provide consulting services for the business plan is a further advancement towards the start of actual construction,” says Penticton MLA Dan Ashton.

The companies will provide consulting services in their areas of expertise on behalf of Interior Health in the development of the business plan.

Should the project proceed to design and construction, they will also provide compliance consulting services throughout the term of project development. This means they will ensure proposals comply with the requirements of the Request for Proposals and the final contract.

“These companies are both leaders in their fields,” says IH Board Chair Norman Embree.

“With their support in the development of the business plan, we are confident that Penticton will soon benefit from a high-quality, well-designed patient care tower.”

Premier Christy Clark announced provincial approval to move ahead with the business plan on March 20, 2013. Following approval of the business plan, procurement for construction of a new patient care tower would commence.

“We are pleased to see this important step in development of the business plan,” says Okanagan-Similkameen Regional Hospital District Chair Janice Perrino.

“As partners in this project, we look forward to the eventual approval to proceed to the actual design and construction of a health care facility to take us into the next decades.”

The business plan is expected to be completed by 2014.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

What's missing from these stories is that it was the Doctors, support staff and opposition who lobbied the Government just before the election; THAT's why they are moving on it; plain and simple. Without that push, it would still be on the backburner. Fact; not fiction. Credit should be given to ALL who helped this project along.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Of course they are proceeding with the business case. Then there will be a call for proposals. Then there will be the call for local shakers and movers to sit on the planning committee, who will report back in about a year or so.... after visiting other hospitals around the province. Then there will be the tender for a manager to supervise the project who will, in turn acquire some land for the hospital. From an influential insider shaker and mover. Followed by another tender to do the drawings. Then another contract will be awarded to a construction company. This final contract will be awarded on the day after the next election campaign begins. And finally there will be a photo-op of Christy in a back-hoe moving the first dirt around the middle of the next election campaign. It's only gonna take 4 years.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Bob, you're likely correct in every comment except that there will be no further land purchase required. They are building a tower on existing hospital property. I agree with your 4 year time frame though and don't forget about Dan Ashton; he won't miss the photo ops; will be right behind Christy.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

(off-topic comment removed - fluffy)
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

(attack removed, address the topic please - fluffy)

Return to “Central Okanagan”