10 years ago a guy in Naramata made good wine.

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

10 years ago a guy in Naramata made good wine.

Post by Thinktank »

Friends of mine bought some wine from a guy in Naramata about ten years ago.
It was just a guy that had a small vineyard, and he made wine and sold it
to people. It wasn't a big official fancy winery. I think the name of his farm was 'saint something.'
My friends said that was the best wine they ever bought. Does anyone know who it was?

I forget where it was exactly or what his name was.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: 10 years ago a guy in Naramata made good wine.

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I couldn't find a winery with "Saint" but is it a possibility that the wine was St. Laurent?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:I found this one - St Hubertus http://www.st-hubertus.bc.ca/home/

I'm pretty sure St. Hubertus is on Lakeshore Rd. in Kelowna, next to Cedar Creek winery, not Naramata.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

He probably retired.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Or moved on. The current Red Rooster winery was formerly a much more "humble" man & wife operation in a different Naramata location before they did the big expansion and ultimately sold it off. They were regular medal winners even back then. Think they still operated under the "Red Rooster" name though.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
StraightUpLogic
Fledgling

Post by StraightUpLogic »

fluffy wrote:Or moved on. The current Red Rooster winery was formerly a much more "humble" man & wife operation in a different Naramata location before they did the big expansion and ultimately sold it off. They were regular medal winners even back then. Think they still operated under the "Red Rooster" name though.

I believe they were where therapy vineyards if memory serves correct
Ari Gold
Board Meister

Post by Ari Gold »

fluffy wrote:Or moved on. The current Red Rooster winery was formerly a much more "humble" man & wife operation in a different Naramata location before they did the big expansion and ultimately sold it off. They were regular medal winners even back then. Think they still operated under the "Red Rooster" name though.

Yup, Red Rooster has been owned by Andrew Peller Limited for the last several years. APL is a beverage corporation based in Niagara with offices throughout Canada.

APL also owns Calona wines and Sandhill Winery in Kelowna.

Red Rooster is operated as a separate entity of course. Corporate owned, but still makes great wine
Last edited by Ari Gold on Aug 13th, 2013, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ari Gold
Board Meister

Post by Ari Gold »

Is it possoble you're thinking of St Laszlo Winery? It's in Keremeos though
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

http://wine.appellationamerica.com/wine-review/73/Andr%C3%A9s-buys-Naramata%27s-Red-Rooster-Winery.html

Interesting history. Here is an older article describing the sale of the winery by it's builders to Andre's Wines some years back. This took place very shortly after it was built, I think the Mahrers, the original owners only produced one year before selling. Somebody made them a pretty attractive offer I guess. They were great people, I was fortunate to have been involved in the construction of the winery in it's present location. I'm not sure of the details around the change from Andres to APL, wineries can change hands pretty fast around here, lots of big names scooping up small operations. I was once told that the "Golden Mile", the vineyard land between Oliver and Osoyoos, is some of the most expensive vineyard property on the planet.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Ari Gold
Board Meister

Post by Ari Gold »

fluffy wrote:[ lots of big names scooping up small operations.

You got it....I guess the big guys are taking notice!

Constellation Brands, for instance, is one of the largest beverage corporations in the world with annual revenues in the billions.

They own Sumac Ridge, Inniskillin, Jackson Triggs, & See Ya Later Ranch

They also are part of a joint venture with Osoyoos LaRose and Nk'Mip cellars

Wines are made the same.....just the profits go to Canandaigua New York
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I just read that Andres Wines and APL are one in the same, Andrew Peller himself started Andres Wines, choosing that name for it's similarity to his baptismal name "Andreas" but with a french flair.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The Okanagan's wine-making history is pretty interesting to snoop around in. The first "Estate" winery, Summerland's Sumac Ridge, was opened a little over thirty years ago by a couple of renegades from the now defunct Casabello winery in Penticton. Casabello was one of only three large wine-making operations in the Okanagan at that time, the other being Calona and one I can't remember right now. The first vineyard in the Okanagan was planted in 1859 by Father Charles Pandosy for the making of sacramental wine at the Oblate Mission.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

fluffy wrote:I just read that Andres Wines and APL are one in the same, Andrew Peller himself started Andres Wines, choosing that name for it's similarity to his baptismal name "Andreas" but with a french flair.

fluffy wrote:The Okanagan's wine-making history is pretty interesting to snoop around in. The first "Estate" winery, Summerland's Sumac Ridge, was opened a little over thirty years ago by a couple of renegades from the now defunct Casabello winery in Penticton. Casabello was one of only three large wine-making operations in the Okanagan at that time, the other being Calona and one I can't remember right now. The first vineyard in the Okanagan was planted in 1859 by Father Charles Pandosy for the making of sacramental wine at the Oblate Mission.

So would those three be Casabello, Calona and Andres?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “Central Okanagan”