Won't accept American money?

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Is it just me?

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, there's plenty of that. We were heading for Trail once upon a time, and had decided to duck south of the line and head east that way, fewer towns and straighter roads. We stopped in some little town like Republic or some such, and I was trying to buy a pack of smokes with Canadian cash. Every time I put some down the clerk would calculated the exchange and ask for more, right do to asking for another penny when I put down a nickel. We must have been in hillbilly country.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Ah...Republic; neat little American town; very friendly folks...but yes you're right Fluffy; they may be fussy about the exchange rate or taking Canadian cash. Get much further South and they may NOT take it, period. I might be wrong but I would venture to say that most ANY Canadian city/town would likely take American dollars; no matter how far from the border. Of course they might be more willing, if the our dollar was worth the same or more than the U.S. buck. This recent event that allegedly happened in Penticton is likely a rare occurrence.

Here's an interesting little experiment for folks to try: Take 4 American Quarters into your bank; see if they will give you an American dollar bill in exchange. Mine would not. Not sure if stores would either. Kinda odd, don't you think? I had a bunch of American coins and the only way I could utilize them (for what the U.S. dollar was worth - at the time it was more than ours) was to take them across the line and use them in the States.
GEW
Fledgling

Post by GEW »

fluffy wrote:That would depend on how deep into the states you are going, GEW. "Border" towns, which would include anyone seeing a significant number of out-of-country shoppers are more than receptive to Canadian cash, some will even do away with any exchange rate charges and simply offer Canadian change in return. Canadian cash is readily accepted as far south as Omak as these people realize that Canadian shoppers represent a significant part of their income. I have to wonder why it was that the American cash was refused here in Penticton, it most certainly is not the norm.

I had my canadian quarters rejected at Prince's dept. store in Oroville, as well as the Texaco right at the border.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

That's interesting. My friend works as a teller in a local bank and told me that they do not separate the coins (Americans from Canadians); get all mixed together and are accepted the same. If they spotted a peso, however it would be filtered out. Everyone has coins in their wallets/jars, etc; bet there are a few American ones among the Canuck coins. It would be interesting to know the reason that Canadian coins might not be accepted in towns close to our border, when we accept theirs just fine.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GEW wrote:I had my canadian quarters rejected at Prince's dept. store in Oroville, as well as the Texaco right at the border.

That may have happened because it is not common practice to pay exchange on foreign coins, even at banks. If you take rolled American coins into a bank in Canada you will most likely be refused any applicable exchange premium. It might be the same for Canadian coins in the US. Was it just a couple or did you have a lot ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Prince's has 2 cash drawers, 1 U.S. the other Canadian and I have never experienced any issues. Perhaps mixing currencies could have presented a problem?
Canadians are Princes bread and butter so it surprises me that they would refuse any of our currency.
The Texaco is located where it is for one obvious reason. It makes no sense for them to turn away our business.
watchkat
Übergod

Re: Won't accept American money?

Post by watchkat »

Last week we were in Walmart in Omak and the total was 111.10 U.S. They would not take the dime in Canadian funds! Paid $112.00 US cash and they gave 90 cents U.S. back.
Really?!
When I have accumulated a fair amount of U.S. change I use at Prince's or if they aren't busy, the clerk will exchange it for U.S. dollar bills at the till. Nice gesture as it is lighter to tote around...........LOL
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Slightly tongue in cheek but when I see someone writing a check, I assume it's because they have no money and this buys them time.

As far as cash goes, it is becoming more and more unusual to see cash being offered in payment. I often remark to the clerk when someone is using actual money that they better ask for some ID before they accept it.

For anyone dumb enough to not accept American money? Well, that's just stupid.

For the relatively slight chance of being passed a counterfeit bill, you don't turn it away. It happens more with our own currency I would think.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

When I go to Omak area, I use the cash machine at Wells Fargo and get US cash or get it from my US account here before I go. Then when I come home I stick the US currency away or take it to the bank and put it in a US Funds account. And if I also have Canadian currency in hand I ask first if they will take it at a US store, even at the gas stations. Never assume they will, and that goes for here too. Never assume as store even close to the border will take it. Banks pay differently for exchange and what the going rate is not what you get at a bank sometimes. Hence why I keep a US funds account here and put in when the rate is good for us.

Also as to the separating of the pennies, when they did our recall of our pennies - I rolled in US pennies. I just got rid of all my pennies. Now did our government separate them and exchange them back to the US or did they destroy a legitimate currency ? (which I would think is illegal destroying another countries currency)
neusen

Post by neusen »

alot of businesses will not accept usd funds as they are charged additional fees at their banking institution. and if they only do night deposit then they cannot submit the funds at all and if they are a larger store in the mall they are required to deposit exactly what the computer says or they could get in trouble. the smaller stores downtown probably do see more us funds then the mall and most likely will only exchange at par.
the majority of our coin operated machines(parking meters etc) accept both canadian and us funds but from my understanding the reverse does not work. they are all weighted slightly different. the new toonie and loonie caused huge problems for the city of penticton as they are 0.0005 gm lighter then the previous ones so they could not be accepted at most coin operated machines.

Return to “Central Okanagan”