Do we not have noise pollution laws around here?

bccan

Do we not have noise pollution laws around here?

Post by bccan »

I really thought we did. Why can this challenge penticton be allowed to use loud speakers at 6 am. Not everyone has a day off, not everyone cares about this race and some people have babies. Turn your speakers off, it is sunday I do not need to hear you when I am halfway accross town
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Do we not have noise pollution laws around here?

Post by fluffy »

http://www.penticton.ca/assets/City~Hall/Bylaws/Community~Standards/Noise%20and%20Nuisance%20Bylaw%2094-36.pdf

I think they may have you on this one, there's this little puppy on page five of the "Nuisance and Noise Bylaw" :

PART 6 – EXEMPTIONS
City sanctioned activities and events are exempted from the provisions of this bylaw.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It's one day and not really worth fussing about, but the volume seemed excessive. The sound carried quite nicely up where we are (past the IGA), and I'm sure there were no spectators/contestants gathered in the vicinity. Must have been awfully loud closer to the event itself. Maybe the organizers could look at toning it down a bit next year?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I could hear where I live too, between the plaza and the mall. Not loud enough to understand what was being said but loud enough to put that very same thought in my mind, it must be really really really loud if you're standing by a speaker. I'm of the same mind, it's one day a year for an event that puts Penticton in a global spotlight, I can live with it.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

As an experienced Pentictonite I'm proud to say I was traveling home on the connector the day of the race. Didn't hear a sound. I'm of the mind, if you don't like it, leave. So I did.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

ToddT wrote:As an experienced Pentictonite I'm proud to say I was traveling home on the connector the day of the race. Didn't hear a sound. I'm of the mind, if you don't like it, leave. So I did.

Exactly, whenever an event I'm not interested in comes to Kelowna (or any town/city). I go fishing/camping way up in the hills/mountains. Reason to get away from noise and large crowds/traffic.

Only disturbances are the bugs....... mainly mosquito's but repellents with deet solves that problem.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Another bitter Penticton resident. The town has a fraction of summer travelers it once did, let's welcome what we do get with open arms. Perhaps you can take your vacation that weekend next year and leave town.
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

This event is deeply rooted in our community. From my experience, one has to either join the fun (volunteer/athlete/spectator), get out of town or lie really low (don't move about) on the day of the event. As a resident, I have tried all three options and prefer #1 or #2. I realize that people that work on weekends however might not have all these options available and that is a regrettable situation.

Return to “Central Okanagan”