Media Question Period at Council Mtg

livewire
Fledgling

Media Question Period at Council Mtg

Post by livewire »

I was a little horrified after watching the media question period at how the editor was treated by council. Apparently there has been some private discussions (more and more of these) among council and staff that there could be 10%-15% pay raises for senior - or maybe just 1 senior - staff.

When asked if this was true, he was told that it was none of his business.

They're talking about using the money WE give them, for what I think is a ridiculous raise, and we are not allowed to question or be informed?

I'm certainly no political guru and may be missing something but it just seems so wrong. And the way Mr. Hopkins spoke to the paper guy was downright rude!! Worth a watch. Last 10 minutes.
http://www.penticton.ca/EN/main/city/ma ... -19th.html
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Media Question Period at Council Mtg

Post by grammafreddy »

livewire wrote:I was a little horrified after watching the media question period at how the editor was treated by council. Apparently there has been some private discussions (more and more of these) among council and staff that there could be 10%-15% pay raises for senior - or maybe just 1 senior - staff.

I'd say Penticton's municipal government has a confidential leak (and a big mouth) within their ranks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

That council meeting did get a bit haywire when the editor asked the question. I believe that one of the subjects that are always dealt with during "in-camera" sessions are staffing issues, including wages; that would include both management and union workers. However that is no reason for Mr. Hopkin to be so rude to the reporter asking the question. There are better ways to deal with such sensitive issues.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Labour/staff issues must be dealt with at closed council meetings, according to the Community Charter.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Nebula wrote:Labour/staff issues must be dealt with at closed council meetings, according to the Community Charter.

Right ... the 3 Ps ... Personnel, Property and I can't remember the third one. You know what it is, Nebula?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/local-new ... 67000.html

So we can know what they make, but are not allowed to know that (using this particular case) council, without taxpayers knowledge, could agree to an increase in salary of $25,050 for a total of $192,000....?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

livewire wrote:http://www.pentictonherald.ca/local-news/antoniaks-salary-$167000.html

So we can know what they make, but are not allowed to know that (using this particular case) council, without taxpayers knowledge, could agree to an increase in salary of $25,050 for a total of $192,000....?

Correct. Council could send out a press release after a decision has been made.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I made a mistake in my previous post. Issues dealing with staff/labour may be dealt with behind closed doors.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

grammafreddy wrote:
Right ... the 3 Ps ... Personnel, Property and I can't remember the third one. You know what it is, Nebula?

It's Land, Legal, and Labour from my skoolin
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

Labour, Land and Legal are the three. The problem is, those three are sometimes used as an excuse to stay out of uncomfortable water with the public. If negotiations are going on, the appropriate response from the acting mayor would be that negotiations are underway. No numbers - but the fact that there is a deal being worked on.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

livewire wrote:I'm certainly no political guru and may be missing something but it just seems so wrong. And the way Mr. Hopkins spoke to the paper guy was downright rude!! Worth a watch. Last 10 minutes.
http://www.penticton.ca/EN/main/city/ma ... -19th.html

I watched this segment and while I personally don't care for Wes Hopkins, I cannot agree with you that he was rude. Actually how I would describe his actions would be calm and polite. James Millar was the one that was clearly out of line. First for asking not one, but two questions that did not pertain to the agenda, and second, as a seasoned journalist he knows better. His display was nothing short of grandstanding in an effort to create a story that did not yet exist and create public ire. There are very clear rules on the public discussion of such things as wages, from union to management, and if Mr Millar wants to break that etiquette, then shame on him. The taxpayers will have their chance to speak when the decisions are made public and as we learned at the provincial level, dissatisfaction can lead to recinding.
Perhaps Mr Millar would like all of us to be a party to, and make public, his job evaluation and potential wage increases too?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Thanks, Captain and Twobits - the three "L"s, not the three "P"s.

livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

My taxes don't pay Mr. Millar.....just sayin'...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

livewire wrote:My taxes don't pay Mr. Millar.....just sayin'...

And you will have a chance to respond to any wage increase because they will be made public. You can then question them directly and also speak with your vote. It remains however very inappropriate never mind logistically impossible to have some 15k eligible voters being a party to the negotiations. That is what Mr Millar is attempting to do and it is just plain wrong.

SpectateSwamp

In Camera breeds corruption

Post by SpectateSwamp »

Nebula wrote:I made a mistake in my previous post. Issues dealing with staff/labour may be dealt with behind closed doors.

And a Major mistake at that "Must" is nowhere near "May"
In view of the Bell City California CAO paying himself over $800,000 per year ALL Labour Land and Legal should be ON Camera.

Legal - is the old Lawyer client thingie. The people are the client. So throw that out.
Land - if there is a real estate developer or real estate agent involved. We should watch them very closely.
Labour - if that aspect isn't open then towns and municipalities become a "family business" Human Resources audits would help put an end to the possibility of nepotism.

Procurement Audits would expose cronyism and corruption.

Return to “Central Okanagan”