CA shopping, looking for recommendations

sbroman

CA shopping, looking for recommendations

Post by sbroman »

Would anyone here have experience with, or be able to recommend any Chartered Accountants in the Penticton area?

I'm looking for one that not only knows the rules inside and out (which im sure every CA knows, obviously), but one with enough tried and true experience to navigate those rules to the best financial advantage. Been asking other company owners these past months and hearing "horror stories" about accountants who ended up costing their clients thousands by their interpretation of tax laws when just a little more experience, research and knowledge of the grey areas could have spared them. Would like to avoid having my own story to tell down the road. ;)

Thanks to anyone who may have some information or be able to help me pick out a few to speak to.
Static
Guru

Re: CA shopping, looking for recommendations

Post by Static »

KPMG in Vancouver
twobits
Guru

Re: CA shopping, looking for recommendations

Post by twobits »

sbroman wrote:Would anyone here have experience with, or be able to recommend any Chartered Accountants in the Penticton area?

I'm looking for one that not only knows the rules inside and out (which im sure every CA knows, obviously), but one with enough tried and true experience to navigate those rules to the best financial advantage. Been asking other company owners these past months and hearing "horror stories" about accountants who ended up costing their clients thousands by their interpretation of tax laws when just a little more experience, research and knowledge of the grey areas could have spared them. Would like to avoid having my own story to tell down the road. ;)

Thanks to anyone who may have some information or be able to help me pick out a few to speak to.

Problem I have with many CA's is they take on too many clients and then rely too heavily on less qualified staff and articling students to do the bulk of the work. Sure, they do a review of the final work but much can be overlooked when spread too thin.
Do you need a CA? Unless you require a CA to sign off on audits I would recommend you seek out a CGA or CMA. The best ones are the ones who have received their designations while working for CCRA, put in their 25 yrs for the pension, and are now in business for themselves. Hard too find anyone more versed in complex tax laws than someone who has spent a Cpl of decades doing audits for the "other guys". These are the people that won't get your business into trouble with tax schemes and dubious write offs and know all the legit things that can be done that many other accountants may just not be aware of, even the CA's. One here in Penticton is Glen Herman Professional Services. Office on Martin St. There are a few others that I can't recall right now but a phone call and query of their background will flush them out.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Central Okanagan”