Does anyone care that we have a new mayor?

southy
Lord of the Board

Does anyone care that we have a new mayor?

Post by southy »

Seems kind of strange that we elect a new mayor and council member and nothing is posted here. No gripes, no high fives, nothing. What gives Penticton? I for one like the fact Garry got in as Mayor, but then again was there anyone else really qualified to be running? I think Garry played this out perfectly. He knew what was happening with Dan Ashton and it was just a matter of time. Garry was involved as a councillor but made sure he didn't rock the boat. Lets say he played it safe. And by doing so he gained the trust of the voter. As far as Katy Robinson as councillor, don't really know much about her. But the fact she does have past experience tells me she was the logical choice of all candidates running. She just might shake things up abit on council and most folks know it sure can use some shaking up.

Congratulations to both Garry and Katy .... now lets see what you can do.
twobits
Guru

Re: Does anyone care that we have a new mayor?

Post by twobits »

Might as well of just skipped the formality of the election and spent Dan's 35k on something useful.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It certainly wasn't a high profile election by any means. Any word on voter turnout ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

It would seem the apathy of the voters has translated to the forum.
I heard turnout was around 14-15%.

What a waste.
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

Glad to see Garry Litke in the mayoral seat. I agree that he was the logical choice (and Wes Hopkin can now go back to a more appropriate role). Also curious to see Katie Robinson in action. Hopefully, there is substance behind the (somewhat flamboyant) individual. While I appreciate the effort put forth by the other candidates, I hope that some of them got the message to re-think their approach for the next election...
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I was away for a while and missed the election, though I did vote in the advance polls and was pleased with the results. I find Mr. Litke a huge improvement over the last one (D.A. has disappeared in the Provincial black hole); not so much in his actions but his approachability, friendly stature and willingness to listen. Katie R. is also an extremely nice person and very experienced on council; both will do well. Those who run for mayor without first being elected as a councillor will never get my vote. Baby steps; gain the experience and THEN go for the mayor's position if you so desire. Good going Gary and Katie!
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

I think it's a wait and see for the year, I'm disappointed and I also expected the turn out to be as low, as it was planned for the Saturday, Ex: only one voting place, Jazz fest weekend, Dragon boat races. Maybe he has learnt from our former Mayor.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here are the turnout numbers election:

http://www.penticton.ca/assets/City~Hal ... ebsite.pdf
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Penticton's big enough to have a mayor?

Kidding - I noticed, but was really more interested in the turnout for the Challenge triathlon with IM Whistler landing on the same day.

Return to “Central Okanagan”