Penticton riot makes a comeback!

southy
Lord of the Board

Penticton riot makes a comeback!

Post by southy »

Has anyone seen this wonderful promotion for Penticton on MSN????

http://travel.ca.msn.com/10-canadian-to ... st#image=2

Lest we forget!
Dawnland
Board Meister

Re: Penticton Riot makes a comeback!

Post by Dawnland »

OMG I just saw msn.com! I got to regale my teen with the cool story of that night.

from the article:

MC Hammer Riot, Penticton, B.C.

Blistering hot temperatures combined with a motley crew of youngsters who flocked to Penticton for Peachfest were the catalyst for a mob that turned an MC Hammer performance into a riot on July 28, 1991. RCMP officers in full riot gear lobbed tear gas at the crowd of thousands as they broke windows and heaved the iconic peach concession stand into Lake Okanagan. Tourism suffered in the years that followed, but Penticton is now a prominent spot on the Okanagan wine route and is a top family summer destination. Even MC Hammer can’t touch this.

The article was accompanied by a beautiful lake picture

link:
http://travel.ca.msn.com/10-canadian-to ... st#image=2
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

lol, take it all from the source.

I'll try to find the link from msn.travel that rated Penticton the #1 travel destination on the planet. It was within the last year.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Here ya go...Not #1 in this survey, but I swear I saw one with Penticton at #1.

Still ranked in the top 10 in the world, according to this.

http://travel.ca.msn.com/penticton-bc-n ... tination-6

I live here. And as beautiful as it is, it is not even close to MY top 10 places to travel to.

The world is a big and incredible place.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

I always thought it was funny how everyone speaks of Penticton Riot but for some reason the Kelowna Regatta Riots have dispersed like tear gas in an vacant parking lot??
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Yeah that is odd isn't it ? Maybe stuff like that is more out-of-character for Penticton than Kelowna. Kelowna seems to fight a perennial battle with the boogie-till-you-puke set.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

fluffy wrote:Yeah that is odd isn't it ? Maybe stuff like that is more out-of-character for Penticton than Kelowna. Kelowna seems to fight a perennial battle with the boogie-till-you-puke set.

Penticton has one, Kelowna has two consecutively and everyone forgets. I've heard other camps suggest its a racial concept, suggesting the discrepancy is the catalyst factor in Kelowna was the Regatta a predominantly 'white' event of sailing and motor boat racing.... the other being a Black Man with baggy paints. cant say I subscribe to the concept but after seeing some of the mockery of the Huntington Beach Riots makes a person think.
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/all-in-/52626752#52626752
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

Madhue wrote:I always thought it was funny how everyone speaks of Penticton Riot but for some reason the Kelowna Regatta Riots have dispersed like tear gas in an vacant parking lot??

Regatta didn't have MC Hammer.
Socially anxious, anxiously social
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Regatta didn't have MC Hammer.[/quote]

I hesitate in asking this question, but what exactly did MC Hammer have to do with the riot in Penticton? Isn't that kind of like saying the Boston Bruins were responsible for the Vancouver riot?
ToddT
Übergod

Re: Penticton riot makes a comeback!

Post by ToddT »

I believe what he is saying is that the fact MC Hammer was in Penticton added or continues to add to the publicity of the event.

Return to “Central Okanagan”