Ticket them NOW!

southy
Lord of the Board

Ticket them NOW!

Post by southy »

Ok .. where is XT when we need him. I was driving down Main Street yesterday the 400 block in the left lane. Half way down the block low and behold there is a delivery truck parked in my lane. I couldn't move over because of traffic, so I waited. Once traffic moved on I pulled into the other lane and proceeded. I was going to make a left hand turn onto Wade but guess what? Parked nearthe Bank of Nova Scotia/Prospera corner is another deliver van blocking my ability to turn left. What gives with these guys? XT didn't you say what they are doing is illegal and they can be ticketed? If this is true I'm going to be complaining to City Hall and they need to start ticketing these guys. I parked for 3 minutes in the back alley of the 400 block awhile back and the ticket dude was ready to write me up. Kinda frustrating. Just venting!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Ticket them NOW!!

Post by GordonH »

So maybe deliveries should be made How?

Delivery vans/trucks should continue to drive around the block until a parking spot is available. Pretty well every city I've been to or lived in delivery vans double park unless a spot is available.
Yes, frustrating to get around... look at this way try to look at it via delivery person & his/her frustration day in and day out. More than likely yelled at least once a day.
All they are trying to do is drop off or pickup ASAP.

I do get your rant.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Ticket them NOW!!

Post by fluffy »

I don't see a clear solution either, other than having a designated "commercial delivery only" parking area in each block which would have its own unique set of issues. Putting these guys into the back alley where there is no room to get around them is more of a problem than a solution.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Ticket them NOW!

Post by southy »

I understand what you are saying Fluffly, however, the alleyways actually are wide enough for delivery vehicles to pass one another. As well .. if they are supposedly only parking on Main Street for minutes then what is the big deal with using the alley?

Can I park my vehicle on Main and disrupt traffic because I want to run into a store to pick something up? I think not. At least that's what the city bylaws say: http://www.penticton.ca/assets/City~Hal ... 094-39.pdf

But maybe just maybe I can do this because it is quite obvious City Bylaw Enforcement is not enforcing these delivery vehicles not to disrupt the flow of traffic. Would actually like to be ticketed for this and take it to court. I would have so many photos to use in my defence.

Oh well ... what an you do ... it's a rainy day might as well b34ch about the city :)

Simple question ... why have the bylaws if they are not being enforced?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

It's not just the City bylaw officers not ticketing........there are far more RCMP cruisers out there that are ignoring it as well. I would think that if main street goes to just two lanes one way, they will no longer be able to ignore it
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

southy wrote:I understand what you are saying Fluffly, however, the alleyways actually are wide enough for delivery vehicles to pass one another. As well .. if they are supposedly only parking on Main Street for minutes then what is the big deal with using the alley?

Can I park my vehicle on Main and disrupt traffic because I want to run into a store to pick something up? I think not. At least that's what the city bylaws say: http://www.penticton.ca/assets/City~Hal ... 094-39.pdf

But maybe just maybe I can do this because it is quite obvious City Bylaw Enforcement is not enforcing these delivery vehicles not to disrupt the flow of traffic. Would actually like to be ticketed for this and take it to court. I would have so many photos to use in my defence.

Oh well ... what an you do ... it's a rainy day might as well b34ch about the city :)

Simple question ... why have the bylaws if they are not being enforced?

Deliveries should be done via the backdoor/alley way, with 1 exception that is armored vehicle deliveries (Banks, Credit Union etc). Keep those in public view just in case.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:I understand what you are saying fluffy, however, the alleyways actually are wide enough for delivery vehicles to pass one another.

If that's the case then I agree, there isn't much reason for them to be parking on Main Street. Other than laziness I'd guess.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Ok .. where is XT when we need him. I was driving down Main Street yesterday the 400 block in the left lane. Half way down the block low and behold there is a delivery truck parked in my lane. I couldn't move over because of traffic, so I waited. Once traffic moved on I pulled into the other lane and proceeded. I was going to make a left hand turn onto Wade but guess what? Parked nearthe Bank of Nova Scotia/Prospera corner is another deliver van blocking my ability to turn left. What gives with these guys? XT didn't you say what they are doing is illegal and they can be ticketed? If this is true I'm going to be complaining to City Hall and they need to start ticketing these guys. I parked for 3 minutes in the back alley of the 400 block awhile back and the ticket dude was ready to write me up. Kinda frustrating. Just venting!

Southy, sorry took so long to give a response. I was without internet for a few days. Its nice to finally hear others chime in on what some of us consider a serious situation with large trucks double parking on Main Street. If you or I were to do this in a passenger vehicle, John Law would be right there with his ticket book (and rightly so). Not sure about the bylaw officer(s); they are few and far between these days. I complained to one bylaw officer some time ago; he ignored me and moved on. It was like he had blinders on; for whatever reason. Re the alleys, I wouldn't say that they are always wide enough for two trucks to pass but they aren't in one spot for hours on end, either. A little patience is required on occasion. The alleys were created FOR deliveries; I recall seeing some stores having signs stating "deliveries in rear", "delivery entrance only" or "ring bell for deliveries". They are there; the drivers just seem to choose to ignore them. I have to wonder what would happen if you or I were to crash into the rear of a delivery truck double parked on Main Street (even with their 4-way flashers going). Who would be charged? It really IS time that this practice was stopped. If city council had decided on two-way/two-lane traffic on Main Street, this would never happen again. However they chose two-lane/one-way, so it could STILL occur but that means traffic down main will soon be reduced to one lane open when these truckers double park . Horn honking and Trudeau Salutes would surely occur, then. Lets hear what others think.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Well put XT. What I find interesting is we have a couple city councillors who have businesses on Main Street. Gee .. I wonder if they ever receive deliveries through the front door? But then again, I'm sure we would hear valid justification. Yup I'm sure.
Seems like a minor issue but not really, it is disruptive to the flow of traffic. It can create pedestrian accidents when vehicles pull around these trucks without looking. And as you say XT ... maybe the day will come where someone rear ends one of them. Then lets hear the validation from our city fathers. I wonder if our folks at city hall read Castanet? Perhaps we need to send an email to one or all of them and get a response as to why these bylaws are not being enforced.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Well put XT. What I find interesting is we have a couple city councillors who have businesses on Main Street. Gee .. I wonder if they ever receive deliveries through the front door? But then again, I'm sure we would hear valid justification. Yup I'm sure.
Seems like a minor issue but not really, it is disruptive to the flow of traffic. It can create pedestrian accidents when vehicles pull around these trucks without looking. And as you say XT ... maybe the day will come where someone rear ends one of them. Then lets hear the validation from our city fathers. I wonder if our folks at city hall read Castanet? Perhaps we need to send an email to one or all of them and get a response as to why these bylaws are not being enforced.

I wasn't going to mention the city councillor situation, Southy but since you brought it up...it WAS in fact a truck delivering to his place of business. I will refrain from naming him. It IS possible that the bylaw officer whom I complained to, was in fact not willing to deal with this situation as he might be afraid of a reprimand from management. I'm only throwing it out there; its possible. Why else ignore the bylaws of Penticton city? Makes no sense to make such laws if there is going to be no enforcement. Why do we employ these people? If they aren't willing to do their job; then lay off the bylaw folks and remove the parking meters on Martin Street. I'm sure that its been considered. Isn't it strange that 2 hr free parking exists on Main St (200 - 600 blocks), yet meters are in the 100 block and on Martin Street. I would think that business owners in areas where customers are forced to pay should be crying foul over non-consistency in the city.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Pentictonites complain too much.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Static wrote:Pentictonites complain too much.

Gee Static old boy ... knowing how involved you are in the environmental and economic threads of Castanet I thought this would be right up your alley pardon the pun :)
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, Southy but when folks like Static don't give any reccomendations on how to improve things or what they would like to see, that's not much help. Burying one's head in the sand and pretending everythings just fine and dandy when we know it is not, is no help at all. Ah, heck...lets all just double park on Main Street and THEN see what happens.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

As annoying as it may be, not all business have a rear entrance for several reasons. ex. rear space rented out to another party.

I was under the impression that delivery trucks were exempt as long as it didn't take too long. Whether or not it's legal, the bylaw enforcement could have been told to look the other way. Have to keep the economy moving.

Southy,,,,I would be more upset with the vehicles in the other lane that wouldn't let you in, not very courteous of them.

What has me concerned is that XT would consider crashing into the rear of these trucks.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

driveangry wrote:As annoying as it may be, not all business have a rear entrance for several reasons. ex. rear space rented out to another party.

I was under the impression that delivery trucks were exempt as long as it didn't take too long. Whether or not it's legal, the bylaw enforcement could have been told to look the other way. Have to keep the economy moving.

Southy,,,,I would be more upset with the vehicles in the other lane that wouldn't let you in, not very courteous of them.

What has me concerned is that XT would consider crashing into the rear of these trucks.

What I meant was...IF someone were to accidentally crash into the rear of a double parked vehicle...at no time did I mean that one should purposely do so. Driveangry, if there is such an exemption for delivery trucks, please quote the link. I know of no such exemption and most downtown businesses DO in fact have rear delivery entrances.

Return to “Central Okanagan”