Okanagan Beach

MANIAK

Okanagan Beach

Post by MANIAK »

Was I sleeping............I don t remember the current project for the lake front being altered to the degree it presently is
being discussed I m hoping that what they have done is only temporary and that huge changes are still to come
being a long time resident...........I have to say our beaches have always been a very valuable asset....................and it appears they have opted for a cement walkway..where beautiful sandy beaches were............please someone set me straight .......because at this point I m very disturbed about what I see..............where s Muriel Frank when you need her
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Okanagan Beach

Post by fluffy »

There are some areas along Lakeshore that will see significant change to be sure, but in the end I'm sure it will be for the better. I'm particularly impressed with the over-the-water section of boardwalk along the section of shoreline all but unusable for swimmers. There is extensive information available at the City of Penticton website, including the "zoomable" representation of the entire Lakeshore plan linked to here:

http://prezi.com/5gdjmaxrdp63/west-okanagan-lake-waterfront-project/
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
MANIAK

Post by MANIAK »

thank you for your response............all much clearer...........but have some reservations regarding changing the size of the beach and sandy areas ................to walkways and other surfaces...........main reason people come here.................BEACH..............I unlike you do not trust the city s judgement when It comes to preservation .................hoping all the trees removed are replaced soon and I m proven to be wrong !!!!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think there is enough business acumen on council to see the value of this beach to the summer tourist trade. There is the thought that a larger, enhanced walkway will help service even more users than just those who come to swim and soak up the sun. I think that in the big scheme of things we're not losing so much beach that it will have an impact on those who come solely for the sand and, we will be gaining in the strollers/wanderers/fitness seekers department.

I do believe that the final plan includes more trees than there were before, and the only ones being removed are those in the way of the larger walkway or those that presented threats to safety.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

MANIAK wrote:thank you for your response............all much clearer...........but have some reservations regarding changing the size of the beach and sandy areas ................to walkways and other surfaces...........main reason people come here.................BEACH..............

The people wanted to keep the two lane road and on road parking so that they could sit in their cars. It was a little too far for some people to walk.
Something had to give to make room for a much more user friendly pathway, it was either the beach or the road. In this city, the road won.
Congratulations Penticton!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”