New proposed bike route

XT225
Lord of the Board

New proposed bike route

Post by XT225 »

I saw something recently where the city may remove parking on the West side of Ellis Street and install a Bike lane instead? This caught me by surprise. I believe that we already have fairly good bike routes now and if I was one of the business owners that could be affected, on Ellis Street, I would be protesting over this idea. Either that or ask that your taxes be reduced, due to possible loss of business and inconvenience to your customers. Bike lanes already extend right down Government Street and a wonderful route North of Eckhardt is to go down Pickering Street and up the KVR all the way to Vancouver Hill. Sometimes the city seems to race off and make changes before even thinking of the benefits or ramifications of their actions. The bike lanes on Government Street hardly even seem justified for the little bike traffic that uses it. Originally, it was going to be 4 laned; and during busy times (ie: morning and after school) it is a VERY busy street. Perhaps the city could consider scrapping their plan to cut Main Street down to two lanes and use the centre lane entirely for bikes. THAT would make more sense and not disrupt business.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: New proposed bike route

Post by Anonymous123 »

Looking at a Google Earth or Google maps shot of Ellis Street, it appears that the businesses on the west side of Ellis, have off street parking. It may not be too bad of an idea.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=ellis+street+penticton&ie=UTF-8&ei=UsBcUpGsNMThyQH9k4C4BQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Anonymous123 wrote:Looking at a Google Earth or Google maps shot of Ellis Street, it appears that the businesses on the west side of Ellis, have off street parking. It may not be too bad of an idea.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=ellis+street+penticton&ie=UTF-8&ei=UsBcUpGsNMThyQH9k4C4BQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA

I believe (not 100% sure) that most of that off-street parking you mention is either paid parking or private monthly stalls. Losing any parking downtown is not what businesses need.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Finding a safe bicycle route that runs that close to downtown would encourage bicycle use. Is there any free parking downtown or is it all metered?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Anonymous123 wrote:Finding a safe bicycle route that runs that close to downtown would encourage bicycle use. Is there any free parking downtown or is it all metered?

They (safe bike routes) already exist going from North to South. South Main to Dawson Ave to Govt st. to the KVR (via Pickering St) and all the way to Vancouver Ave and beyond. Plus much of that is away from traffic and a pleasant ride. Removing parking stalls will NOT encourage more shopping downtown; quite the opposite. There is some free parking downtown - yes, however its a real hodge podge of some places free; others 1 hr free; metered, 2 hr free. No rhyme nor reason as to why its so different all over the downtown. The city needs to take a big breath and study the situation; ask for input from business owners on Ellis and users of that route. I'm personally dead against changing Main St from three lanes to two and they could have a fantastic bike route by turning the middle lane into a bike lane; saving a whole lot of tax dollars and not affecting any businesses on Ellis Street.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

For the number of people I see using these bike lanes, we are already have too many. Complete waste of arterial road asphalt. Build a dedicated bike lane to access downtown and then what do all the bikes do. They have no choice but to drive on congested downtown streets or the sidewalks. What thorough thought process came up with this idea? I'll happily buy into bike trails for recreational use, not so much as a commuting tool in traffic.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote: I'll happily buy into bike trails for recreational use, not so much as a commuting tool in traffic.

Isn't it possible that future trends could lean towards an increase in cycling as a commuter tool though ? There are many reasons to leave the car at home and hop on a bike, the biggest obstacle at present is our addiction to convenience and I can see that changing as gas prices keep rising and the states of both the environment and our general health continue to decline. It makes sense to me to have a suitable infrastructure in place in order to encourage this shift. I think our transit system could use a little overhaul too but that's another thread.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

There is also another bike and walking path (a very enjoyable one, too) that goes from the Govt Street extension where it joins Wade Ave East by the fish ladder bridge. That route goes all the way to Front Street and follows the creek. Why is it necessary to remove more parking from downtown (West side of Ellis) when we already have several good bike routes running the entire length of the city? Maybe some of the cyclists should do their homework and try out what is already there and save taxpayers more added expense that we do not need!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I understand that council had a private meeting with business owners and residents of Ellis Street last night to discuss the planned bike trail. Person I spoke with said they were basically trying to sugar coat everything and were told how important their input was. Seems like I've heard this before somewhere. If their input is so important why wasn't it asked for prior to this plan coming forward??

Or, was this meeting held to try and soften the blow at the next scheduled council meeting???

Seems to me our city folk are at it again ...
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Why can't the bikes use the back alleys, apparently the delivery trucks aren't using them. LOL
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

driveangry wrote:Why can't the bikes use the back alleys, apparently the delivery trucks aren't using them. LOL

Hey......driveangry...now you're talkin! You're correct re the delivery trucks and what a fantastic idea using back alleys for bike routes! NO extra expense to the taxpayers and no loss of parking spots.
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

I like how suddenly this is all New News.
These bike lane proposals have been around for months. There were many Open Houses with many opportunity to give thoughts.
If these people on Ellis are now just getting off there hands that is their fault.

It was the same with Lakeshore drive, many Open Houses to tell people the options and then suddenly people were shocked with what was happening.

This people of this city seem to be very ignorant until it starts to happen.

If its that big of a deal, why wait till City have spent hours and hours and hundreds of tax payers dollars on planning and Meetings to decide its time to say something.
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

Centralized parking garages in business areas should be the way of the future.
Get the cars off the streets and you would have such a cleaner Penticton.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Mr. acberry ... please do tell us where all these proposals have been? What are the proposals? All these open houses you speak of, when and where were they held. Were they advertised? You are very quick to label Penticton residents ignorant .. really acberry? From your previous posts I would tend to think you just might be:

a/ An avid cyclist who just might be steerheading these bike lanes or ...
b/ A city official or someone connected closely to a city official who jus tmight be steerheading these bike lanes.

Since you've called me and others ignorant .. give us the facts there acberry. And while you are at it ... do tell us where the revenue is going to come from to build these wonderful centralized parking garages you suggest would solve the vehicle problem that the metropolis of Penticton faces?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

southy wrote:Mr. acberry ... please do tell us where all these proposals have been? What are the proposals? All these open houses you speak of, when and where were they held. Were they advertised? You are very quick to label Penticton residents ignorant .. really acberry? From your previous posts I would tend to think you just might be:

a/ An avid cyclist who just might be steerheading these bike lanes or ...
b/ A city official or someone connected closely to a city official who jus tmight be steerheading these bike lanes.

Since you've called me and others ignorant .. give us the facts there acberry. And while you are at it ... do tell us where the revenue is going to come from to build these wonderful centralized parking garages you suggest would solve the vehicle problem that the metropolis of Penticton faces?

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/98164/Bike-routes-open-house

Have to agree with acberry on this. They were advertised; I noticed them. Haven't been on a bicycle for years, but noticed anyway. Wondered why some people were just hearing about it now. Looks like the same thing that happened with the waterfront; lots of committee time put in, lots of opportunities for consultation. Then lots of surprised people when plans were being announced.

Seems impossible to get everyone's attention early on in the process, when it would be most beneficial.

Southy, if you have a bit of time to spare, you might want to get involved with one of the city's committees. That'll give you the best opportunity for input on the things that really matter to you. Chances are you'll feel more "in the loop" with what other committees are hashing out, too.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Central Okanagan”