New proposed bike route

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: New proposed bike route

Post by southy »

Have to agree with you XT! You know it's amazing what one sees when they walk our streets instead of driving them. I had to drop my vehicle off at my mechanic who has his shop on upper Carmi. It wasn't going to be ready right away so I decided to g for a walk (more like a hike) downtown. I turned left off Carmi onto Government and walked on the sidewalk heading north on the eastside of the street. I walked all the way down to Eckart. I passed two cyclists (not riding together) both on my side of the street. Here's the kicker .. neither of them were using the bike lane ... no sir ... they were on the sidewalk and they moved off the sidewalk onto the bike lane to get past me .. I turned around and watched and they both ened up back riding on the sidewalk. Ahhn ... not sure I understand this other than they probably just don't feel safe using the bike lane - so why is it there? I see the same on Main and I'm sure we'll see the same on Ellis if God forbid the bike lanes go through. What is our city thinking?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Have to agree with you XT! You know it's amazing what one sees when they walk our streets instead of driving them. I had to drop my vehicle off at my mechanic who has his shop on upper Carmi. It wasn't going to be ready right away so I decided to g for a walk (more like a hike) downtown. I turned left off Carmi onto Government and walked on the sidewalk heading north on the eastside of the street. I walked all the way down to Eckart. I passed two cyclists (not riding together) both on my side of the street. Here's the kicker .. neither of them were using the bike lane ... no sir ... they were on the sidewalk and they moved off the sidewalk onto the bike lane to get past me .. I turned around and watched and they both ened up back riding on the sidewalk. Ahhn ... not sure I understand this other than they probably just don't feel safe using the bike lane - so why is it there? I see the same on Main and I'm sure we'll see the same on Ellis if God forbid the bike lanes go through. What is our city thinking?

Southy, I also ride a bike and would never, ever utilize the bike lanes on Government Street. That street is simply too busy; and I don't want to breathe all the fumes from the vehicles. There are other routes already in place, some utilizing the KVR path. One would think that cyclists would actually do some homework and discover what is already there, in place and awaiting their use. Riding on sidewalks is another tricky one; bylaw forbids it, especially downtown but once again, bylaw takes the "blind eye" approach. Regading your last question....."they aren't".
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Jo wrote:How are you supposed to turn left if you're not in the left turn lane?

lol use the crosswalk and stay out of the turning lane.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Why? The other way works just fine, and is the correct way to proceed.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I admit that I too, prefer the "off-street" bike paths or choose a quieter route through residential neighborhoods. The channel, Penticton Creek, and old KVR railroad right-off-way are great options for connecting distant ends of town. But on the same token, my cycling is primarily for exercise and relaxation, not commuting where a more direct and time-conscious route would be desirable.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I love the off-street trails for leisure, but when I am going from Point A to Point B I use the road, and follow the rules pertaining to bicycles on the road.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I just feel that if your method of transportation isn't capable of performing the posted speed limit, you shouldn't be on the road, in the lanes of traffic. It's dangerous. And Jo, I'm sure 90% of the cyclists on the road follow the proper rules, but for the 10% that don't it's just too high risk for me.
It's nothing personal, I feel the same way about certain seniors driving too.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Riding on the road isn't dangerous if car drivers and cyclists abide by the rules. I can't vouch for other cyclists or car drivers, but for myself I ride my bike by the rules and safely, usuing a rear view mirror for added awareness of what is going on behind me, and I drive my car the same way. Cyclists are in no danger from me.

I think the attitude of some car drivers, the ones who blindly hate bike riders, are the biggest problem. The second biggest problem is with bicyclists who cop an anti-car driver attitude. If both sides were to simply be careful of each other, there'd be no issue.

But I would not give up that logical means of transportation for anything. More people should do it.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

For those who don't believe that there ARE great existing, very direct and safe bike routes, already, I disagree. I often travel from South to North end of town by this route: South Main Street to Dawson Ave (all bike laned); up Dawson to Camrose Ave, down Camrose to Industrial Ave, across the bridge to behind PRH and around the Physc ward to Carmi Ave (the path could be improved slightly at that point); then down Manitoba to KVR school, through the parking lot which meets up with the KVR path; then across the Pen High portion of the path to Gahan Ave and across Eckhardt Ave and down Papineau St to Wade Ave E; across Wade to the bike path and that route then goes all the way to downtown. Even though Papineau or any of those quiet residential streets aren't presently designated bike routes, they ARE very devoid of traffic and pleasant to ride down. A very direct route if you ask me; a lot safer and quieter/less pollution than Government Street and it already exists. Put up a couple of signs and its a done deal. Talk about saving taxpayers some money and not deleting business parking. Again, its not Rocket Science.
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

southy wrote:Mr. acberry ... please do tell us where all these proposals have been? What are the proposals? All these open houses you speak of, when and where were they held. Were they advertised? You are very quick to label Penticton residents ignorant .. really acberry? From your previous posts I would tend to think you just might be:

a/ An avid cyclist who just might be steerheading these bike lanes or ...
b/ A city official or someone connected closely to a city official who jus tmight be steerheading these bike lanes.

Since you've called me and others ignorant .. give us the facts there acberry. And while you are at it ... do tell us where the revenue is going to come from to build these wonderful centralized parking garages you suggest would solve the vehicle problem that the metropolis of Penticton faces?

Yes i cycle. No i am not a city official. I also have traveled a lot and see Penticton has a lot of potential but is so far behind the 8 ball, i shake my head and wonder why. Why a place with such a great Tourist potential would not increase it even more.

They were all posted in the Newspapers with their very own box. They weren't a little write up squeezed in another article. They were even all posted over the internet. Like i said, if it doesn't affect you until D-day, why worry about it??

If it wasn't for on street parking, we wouldn't be having this conversation. They wouldn't be spending so much money on proposals, open houses and research. I wonder how much money they spent on trying to workout how much on street parking on lakeshore would be beneficial. They could charge for parking. If you don't like to pay for parking, ride your bike. All the new fancy bike lanes would be nice to ride.

Penticton may not be West Kelowna or Kelowna now but 20 years from now, who ever lives here maybe screaming "why dont we have parkades". Thinking of only the present is why Penticton is living in the 1960s.
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

ToddT wrote:You are not cars or trucks so stop trying to play by their rules.

You should read the Motor Vehicle Act. Cyclists have the same rights as Motor Vehicles. This also means we can ride in the traffic lane. This also means that cars and trucks shouldn't pass us in the same lane as the cyclist.

Education is lacking for everyone, cyclists and drivers and is the main reason why there are so many issues.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

IF council decides to follow through and remove the parking on the West side of Ellis for a bike lane, I wonder if they will give the business and property owners there, a tax break? After all, they have to pay extra when they want to REMOVE parking spots on Main and Front streets to put in an outdoor patio. It would only make sense. Someone mentions that bikes have the same rights as vehicles; if that's in fact true, then why do we see so many bikes riding on sidewalks, riding the wrong way, riding with no helmets, no lights, etc etc.? Once again, no enforcement. Cars might as well park on the sidewalk then? Has to work both ways. Lets hope that council comes to their senses and drops the entire issue and uses the bike lanes (and advertises them) that we presently have now.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

acbarry wrote:You should read the Motor Vehicle Act. Cyclists have the same rights as Motor Vehicles.

You are correct. It also means they are subject to the same rules and penalties. I am still waiting for those rules and penalties to be enforced however. Why is that?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

acbarry wrote:You should read the Motor Vehicle Act. Cyclists have the same rights as Motor Vehicles.

Ya I get it. I just wish cyclists did not have the same rights. IMO you're closer to a pedestrian than a vehicle. My 5 year old doesn't need a license to ride his bike.

Oh, and there have been multiple occasions where me or other people I know might have tipped a few too many back on a Friday or Saturday night and opted for the safer bicycle ride home rather than to drive. now, I know you "can" get a ticket for riding a bicycle impaired, but does anyone know anybody who has?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”