New proposed bike route

acbarry

Re: New proposed bike route

Post by acbarry »

southy wrote:Acberry, comparing the Penticton Vees to a bike lane is like comparing apples to watermellons ... no relevance whatsoever. If my memory serves me right, you and I and others have been on this merry-go-round topic before. I can only assume you are an avid cyclist and I respect that, however, I do have a problem with parking stalls being removed and the city spending 150G's on a bike lane. Tax increase was just announced, yet the city in their wisdom wants to spend another 150. I don't care if it was budgeted, this money can be used more wisely.

You ask where all these people were when planning meetings where being held? Well you know not everyone has their nose in a newspaper looking for a CIty of Penticton ad or press release. Your comment about these meetings being advertised reminds me of how some civic and even provincial and federal politics work. Tell the publc very little and there will be very little push back. Plus you can always say ... "well we advertised it, not our fault you didn't read it".

Maybe, just maybe Twobits is on the right track ... turn these bike lanes into scooter lanes this would make it safer for everyone.

It is very relevant. If you can't get the support for the Penticton Vees in an RBC Cup winning year in a country that loves its hockey so much then a 3% cycling population tells you that cycling is really bigger than you think in this city. Why couldn't the Vees get bigger attendances? Is it the aging population? Cycling faces the similar challenges as Ice Hockey in that its a younger persons sport. What if the population was younger? Would Vees attendances go up? Would the cycling population go up? I think yes.
If the cycling population were to go up to say 10% or 15%, would this be even an argument?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

acbarry wrote:

Are you on the Hospitality Committee? You should be. You'd make some great promotions for this city. Come here and live in fear of Winter and Summer, the two attributes that Penticton has going for it!! You'll love it.

Perhaps I should be. How about a sign on the entrances to the city that said "Except for recreational corridors and designated trails, Penticton is a bike lane free zone." Do ya think more than 3% of the population would like that?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

twobits wrote:
Perhaps I should be. How about a sign on the entrances to the city that said "Except for recreational corridors and designated trails, Penticton is a bike lane free zone." Do ya think more than 3% of the population would like that?

Most likely not. The other 97% wouldn't care about that sign, they'll drive by it everyday, they'll watch it get covered in graffiti, they like that sign, even though they don't know it. But then one day the big bad City decides to take it away. They don't know this though because they are too busy getting from A to B in a rush. Suddenly 90 people (0.29% of the population) show up at an Open House demanding not to take away that sign. We love our sign they yell! And that is that, the sign was to stay, to never change because this city was afraid of change.

Return to “Central Okanagan”