Stolen Corvette

workthatwedo

Re: Stolen Corvette

Post by workthatwedo »

You can't "hotwire" a car like this that has a chip in the key. It will not turn over without recognizing that the correct key is being used. Almost all cars have been manufactured with this feature since 2005 or so. It is currently the industry standard for theft prevention.

Most dealers have a lock box with the keys in it that is not in plain sight. It would likely be hidden in the manager's office or some other safe place. They might leave the keys in the vehicles during the day, but would lock them up at night. My initial thoughts on this is that someone knew what they were going for and how to get it. Pure speculation, but the thief would have had to know where to find the key.
measure twice, cut once
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

The part that amazes me is that they didn't crash while going 220 in a Corvette in this kind of weather, as I highly doubt it had snow tires on.

workthatwedo wrote:Most dealers have a lock box with the keys in it that is not in plain sight. It would likely be hidden in the manager's office or some other safe place. They might leave the keys in the vehicles during the day, but would lock them up at night. My initial thoughts on this is that someone knew what they were going for and how to get it. Pure speculation, but the thief would have had to know where to find the key.

Probably not hard to figure out, anyone test driving a car could see where the person goes to get a key.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

underscore wrote:The part that amazes me is that they didn't crash while going 220 in a Corvette in this kind of weather, as I highly doubt it had snow tires on.

We haven't had any snow on Hwy97 that I'm aware of and that's where the were clocked doing that speed.
I think it went into the back of a trailer like previously mentioned.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

I'm aware of that, but below 10*C summer tires start losing their traction. I'm not sure what the weather was in Summerland that night but I doubt it was 20 and dry.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

underscore wrote:I'm aware of that, but below 10*C summer tires start losing their traction. I'm not sure what the weather was in Summerland that night but I doubt it was 20 and dry.
I hope you don't actually believe that lol
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:I hope you don't actually believe that lol

What part?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

underscore wrote:I'm aware of that, but below 10*C summer tires start losing their traction. I'm not sure what the weather was in Summerland that night but I doubt it was 20 and dry.

Who ever told you that?????? You need to change tire shops if that who told you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What does !0* mean? or should it have read -10?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

They don't loose their traction at -10C either. They just don't grip as well as winter tires that are usually made from a softer compound of rubber to grip the ice better, and the tread pattern is usually different and syped.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Tony wrote:Who ever told you that?????? You need to change tire shops if that who told you.

Tire shops? Who the hell buys tires in town anymore?

Tony wrote:They don't loose their traction at -10C either. They just don't grip as well as winter tires that are usually made from a softer compound of rubber to grip the ice better, and the tread pattern is usually different and syped.

You just said the exact same thing I did, but with different words. If you read my post again, I didn't say they magically lost all grip, but their grip is reduced.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Tires would not be an issue in the case of a 2011 Corvette. The oe tire is "Y" rated which means in excess of 300kph.Being in a dealer showroom you can be assured it does not have inferior tires as anyone remotely interested would see this immediately.
What I don't understand is the failure of the OnStar. This should not be easy to deactivate or it would be useless.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Most likely the vette is in a trailer and bound to the coast like one post said...goes into a shipping container and off to another country..done..

that or its chopped down now...nothing but parts over the internet.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Have I missed something or have the RCMP been extremely quiet with regard to this theft? And .... if they are being quiet does that mean they know something? Police mentioned clocking it in Trout Creek .. but I wonder if they actually tracked it in Summerland or did the car make a quick left and head out to Princeton the backway?
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Midnite wrote:What I don't understand is the failure of the OnStar. This should not be easy to deactivate or it would be useless.

You don't need to deactivate it, just block it. That said, I doubt it's hard to disable it.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Story in the Western Advertiser paper today saying that they found the corvette yesterday in Surrey, on monday. No mention yet of condition.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/229331021.html

Return to “Central Okanagan”