Fintry Queen

pentona
Übergod

Re: Fintry Queen paddle wheeler moving to Penticton?

Post by pentona »

Interesting info re the old Pentowna ship that used to be docked in Peachland (no, I am not affilitated with it). Andy Schwab was involved in that one. Hope his record of success is better with the Fintry Queen.

CNR ceased operations on Okanagan Lake in 1973. Canadian National Tug no. 6, CNR's other remaining ship, was sold and Pentowna was docked on the Peachland waterfront.[8][clarification needed] In the 1980s, private owners tried to refit the boat for tourism but dropped the project.[1] Pentowna was bought by Dennis Dumaresq, owner of the Michaelbrook Ranch Golf Course in Kelowna, in 1994. However, he decided to scrap it nine years later because he didn't have the funds to refurbish it as planned. Andy Schwab tried to buy the boat and save it for CAD$20,000, but was unable to amass the sum.[9] Pentowna was scrapped in November 2005.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

It will not contribute to an increase in tourism activity in Penticton. But, I wish the new proprietor luck.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

I wish the Queen all the best also. I somehow don't think she will make it to Penticton though, and am not holding my breath.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

The thing is, they still need your money to get it going and to operate. I don't know which saga is the longest, this one or Croctalk.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Very glad to see this news today. Kelowna can keep this rusting old hulk for THEIR Nostalgic reasons. We don't need it down here. Never was a part of our history and now it never likely will be.

*bleep*/newsitem/lack-of-inve ... en/it17436
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

XT225 wrote:Very glad to see this news today. Kelowna can keep this rusting old hulk for THEIR Nostalgic reasons. We don't need it down here. Never was a part of our history and now it never likely will be.

*bleep*/newsitem/lack-of-inve ... en/it17436

Woah there. We don't want that cheesy, fake paddle-wheeler either. lol

I've been on the stupid thing twice as a child and even I don't have any sentimental feelings about it.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

They should just sink the damn thing in the middle of the lake (after removing potentially hazardous waste producing items). A good tourist attraction for skin divers.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Jo wrote:They should just sink the damn thing in the middle of the lake (after removing potentially hazardous waste producing items). A good tourist attraction for skin divers.

i'll second that
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Jo wrote:They should just sink the damn thing in the middle of the lake (after removing potentially hazardous waste producing items). A good tourist attraction for skin divers.

One would think that someone would want to save her and restore to it to how she looked before the retrofit. I believe (this was before my time) that she was the car ferry that was used between Westside and Kelowna. Bit of history there, if true. However, its not likely financially viable. Could be Christy's answer though to a "scaled down second crossing"...lol.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

There were older, cooler ferries on the Okanagan Lake.

The title of this thread is "Fintry Queen paddle wheeler moving to Penticton?" But it never was a paddle wheeler and it was always diesel powered, not steam, and it's fake paddle wheel trails along behind providing nothing but drag, as most locals know. The real historic ferries were steam powered paddle-wheelers and it would have been awesome to have preserved one of those but they're history.

This old boat never really was all that cool in my opinion and is not worth saving, but if someone has the money and the passion to do it, have at 'er, as they say. As long as there is absolutely NO public money spent on it.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

OREZ wrote:The real historic ferries were steam powered paddle-wheelers and it would have been awesome to have preserved one of those but they're history.

Have you seen the SS Sicamous? Not preserved in the sense that it's not floating, but preserved in the sense that it still exists.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Ahhh Jo .... shouldn't this post go under the nude beach thread? :) ... skin divers hilarious :) :)
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Superb idea, Southy. The Naturists of Three Mile Beach could buy it, and cruise to ANY secluded beach on the lake! Excellent plan. Only $350,000; cheaper than buying beachfront private property.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

OREZ wrote:The real historic ferries were steam powered paddle-wheelers and it would have been awesome to have preserved one of those but they're history.

Catri wrote:Have you seen the SS Sicamous? Not preserved in the sense that it's not floating, but preserved in the sense that it still exists.

Yes but I'd like to have a closer look.

And, yes "preserved in the sense that it's floating" is what I meant- and operating if possible. I would love to see and hear a ship like that.

Return to “Central Okanagan”