Fintry Queen

dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Fintry Queen paddle wheeler moving to Penticton?

Post by dreamon »

Static wrote:There is already one in Penticton. I don't think it does so well.

It's static, sorry , couldn't resist.

You are correct though
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

omisimaw wrote:It is stationary

Static wrote:No its not. I parks by the marine club.

Then you should be able to post a picture of it pulling away, or better yet a video of your cruise....

It does not leave where it is moored.....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Penticton has a pretty good history on obtaining old heritage ships. The SS Sicamous, the Naramata and CN Tug#6. Not sure who owns them; likely the city or some Heritage Society. Just mentioning this for interest sake; slightly off topic of the Fintry. Interestingly, the City of Kelowna bought the old CN Tug #6 for $35,000, with the intention of restoring it but never got around to it; so they GAVE it to Penticton in 2007. Here is an interesting link with most of the history of the ships on Okanagan Lake. Unfortunately there is no information given on the Fintry Queen in this article. It has a completely different history of operation on the lake, starting out as a Ferry. http://www.okanagan.net/ocarc/page6.htm
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

LOL who else remembers riding the ferries?
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

omisimaw wrote:Then you should be able to post a picture of it pulling away, or better yet a video of your cruise....

http://www.casabellaprincess.com/
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

omisimaw wrote:LOL who else remembers riding the ferries?

I can't quite remember back that far but I DO remember the first time going over the floating bridge; as a young child; I was terrified that it would wobble or sink...lol.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Here is a bit of history on the operation of the Fintry Queen in recent years.

http://www.fintryqueen.ca/history.asp
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Interstong, X.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

XT225 wrote:Wonderful viewpoint, omnishaw. Glad that there are mostly positive people who like this idea. Mr. Schwab is the main push; lets let HIM deal with it. I don't have the desire to invest, nor the funds. If he believe he can pull it off; good for him. If we were negative on every new business venture that wanted to locate here, god help us all. CV23 is extremely negative; not sure why; don't care and once again he was wrong re a few plug in heaters. Some folks really need to check their facts before spouting off incorrect information.

Any supposed heating system onboard the FQ is in no way adequate to provide a comfortable/enjoyable atmosphere for dining in the winter, fact. Fowl weather is not winter. The system is strictly designed to keep the vital components from freezing and only operates if the vessels generators/engines are running. When at dock, where it spends most of its time, heat is generated through shore power (electric plug in heaters).
The difference between the FQ as a business venture and other new business ventures are that with the others the taxpayers of Penticton won't find themselves on the hook to pick up the pieces when/if it fails or be left with a financial hole where supposedly guaranteed funds earmarked for other public uses should be.
Why is it Mr Shwab is appealing only to municipalities if all he wants is a place for a dock? The majority of lakeshore here is privately owned so why isn't he looking to a private partner? If the FQ is truely the floating gold mine he wants us to believe in his propaganda website the line of investors should be stretching around the block and governments with all their rules and regs would be his last choice.
The FQ had a great home at the most prominent stop on Okanagan Lake. All Mr Shwab had to do was pay the $80k that was owed for back rent take over the lease and the best possible spot for his venture was all his, but he didn't have the $80k. Now he says that if allowed he will build a $300k dock in Penticton, a city with less than half the population and half the revenue potential of the city he couldn't come up with a mere quarter of that $300k to remain in. Does everyone else not see something wrong with this picture. Where did he suddenly find $300k when he didn't have $80k for something with way more potential?
If he wants a portion of their pristine downtown lakeshore for his private business Penticton should simply ask Mr Shwab, in addition to paying for any required infrastructure (dock, etc), that he post a bond to cover any potential costs to the city to have the FQ and related items removed and disposed of should his venture fail. This way the taxpayers of Penticton are not just promised by some flim flam man but actually guaranteed they will not be "on the hook" should things not go as Shwab plans/dreams. It doesn't have to be a big bond just $500k or so, even though that likely wouldn't cover all costs involved.
What I am trying to say is that given the businesses track record and its owners admitted total lack of capital that any partner (read Penticton) should protect themselves and their property in every way possible.
mustgrowpenticton

Post by mustgrowpenticton »

Are you kidding me ??

This failed and failed and failed in Kelowna. Plus this guy that owns the Fintry Queen does not pay his bills.

Forget it. Penticton does not need a cheesy old paddle wheeler to help tourism. What the City needs for tourism is leveraging the wine industry success and encouraging and zoning for some new high end boutique hotels or even new middle of the road motels.

People are coming to the Okanagan Valley for tourism. They just by pass Penticton because our infrastructure is old and dated.
Have you been to Osoyoos and Vernon and witnessed some of the new hotels? They are busy !!1

So forget the cheesy Fintry Queen...
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Static wrote:There is already one in Penticton. I don't think it does so well.

The current paddle wheeler, the Casabella, does a great business. The owners / operators are amazing at their jobs. I've never ever heard a negative reivew.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

omisimaw wrote:It is stationary

Static wrote:No its not. I parks by the marine club.

omisimaw wrote:Then you should be able to post a picture of it pulling away, or better yet a video of your cruise....

One is the SS Sicamous (doesn't move) the other is the Casabella (moves and is a lovely business.) You're talking about two different things.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

mustgrowpenticton wrote:Are you kidding me ??

This failed and failed and failed in Kelowna. Plus this guy that owns the Fintry Queen does not pay his bills.

Forget it. Penticton does not need a cheesy old paddle wheeler to help tourism. What the City needs for tourism is leveraging the wine industry success and encouraging and zoning for some new high end boutique hotels or even new middle of the road motels.

People are coming to the Okanagan Valley for tourism. They just by pass Penticton because our infrastructure is old and dated.
Have you been to Osoyoos and Vernon and witnessed some of the new hotels? They are busy !!1

So forget the cheesy Fintry Queen...

This is a new owner of the Fintry Queen. He has no outstanding debts regarding said ship.

XT225 wrote:Wonderful viewpoint, omnishaw. Glad that there are mostly positive people who like this idea. Mr. Schwab is the main push; lets let HIM deal with it. I don't have the desire to invest, nor the funds. If he believe he can pull it off; good for him. If we were negative on every new business venture that wanted to locate here, god help us all. CV23 is extremely negative; not sure why; don't care and once again he was wrong re a few plug in heaters. Some folks really need to check their facts before spouting off incorrect information.

Sounds like CV23 has an axe to grind with the Fintry Queen and/or Andy Schwab.

cv23 wrote:Any supposed heating system onboard the FQ is in no way adequate to provide a comfortable/enjoyable atmosphere for dining in the winter, fact. Fowl (Foul)weather is not winter. The system is strictly designed to keep the vital components from freezing and only operates if the vessels generators/engines are running. When at dock, where it spends most of its time, heat is generated through shore power (electric plug in heaters).
The difference between the FQ as a business venture and other new business ventures are that with the others the taxpayers of Penticton won't find themselves on the hook to pick up the pieces when/if it fails or be left with a financial hole where supposedly guaranteed funds earmarked for other public uses should be.
Why is it Mr Shwab is appealing only to municipalities if all he wants is a place for a dock? The majority of lakeshore here is privately owned so why isn't he looking to a private partner? If the FQ is truely the floating gold mine he wants us to believe in his propaganda website the line of investors should be stretching around the block and governments with all their rules and regs would be his last choice.
The FQ had a great home at the most prominent stop on Okanagan Lake. All Mr Shwab had to do was pay the $80k that was owed for back rent take over the lease and the best possible spot for his venture was all his, but he didn't have the $80k. Now he says that if allowed he will build a $300k dock in Penticton, a city with less than half the population and half the revenue potential of the city he couldn't come up with a mere quarter of that $300k to remain in. Does everyone else not see something wrong with this picture. Where did he suddenly find $300k when he didn't have $80k for something with way more potential?
If he wants a portion of their pristine downtown lakeshore for his private business Penticton should simply ask Mr Shwab, in addition to paying for any required infrastructure (dock, etc), that he post a bond to cover any potential costs to the city to have the FQ and related items removed and disposed of should his venture fail. This way the taxpayers of Penticton are not just promised by some flim flam man but actually guaranteed they will not be "on the hook" should things not go as Shwab plans/dreams. It doesn't have to be a big bond just $500k or so, even though that likely wouldn't cover all costs involved.
What I am trying to say is that given the businesses track record and its owners admitted total lack of capital that any partner (read Penticton) should protect themselves and their property in every way possible.

Can you please post a link that says he forfeited on the $80,000 bill incurred by the previous owners? I seem to remember that he was only the trustee hired to look after the ship while it was in receivership.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Penticton tourism possibility:

DAY-1
# Boeing-737 from Edmonton or Calgary direct to Penticton
# South Okanagan wine tour

DAY-2
# Kettle Valley Steam Train
# Summerland wine tour

DAY-3
# Paddle Wheeler to Naramata
# Wine tour from Naramata to Penticton

# Return flight from Penticton YYF to Alberta
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

*removed/do NOT post potentially libelous statements like this again/Jo*
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Central Okanagan”