Fintry Queen

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Fintry Queen paddle wheeler moving to Penticton?

Post by XT225 »

cv23 wrote:
The interesting part is that Kelowna residents have had enough of the old scow and don't want it in their city but clearly by these numbers have no issue with seeing the problem become a future one for Penticton.

Yes, it would be interesting to know WHERE those votes on that poll came from. Penticton residents willing to take ON the Fintry or were they Kelowna residents glad to be rid of her? According to what Mr. Schwab promises though, Penticton wouldn't be on the hook for any costs, though if the venture doesn't work, where the boat be left. That's the only problem that I see COULD occur. Still, it sounds more positive than negative in allowing it him to try the venture.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

XT225 wrote: Penticton wouldn't be on the hook for any costs, though if the venture doesn't work, where the boat be left. That's the only problem that I see COULD occur

Well XT ... I think you just solved another one of City Council's problems. If this venture doesn't succeed and the boat is left on the shores of Penticton, all council has to do is change the name to the ARC and herd up all the deer around town and ship them up to Kelowna. A positive solution to our deer cull. *bleep* for Tat with regard to the Kelowna vote :)

Seriously though, I really hope this venture succeeds because I think it would definitely be an asset to Penticton and the entire Okanagan.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

[quote="southy"]
Well XT ... I think you just solved another one of City Council's problems. If this venture doesn't succeed and the boat is left on the shores of Penticton, all council has to do is change the name to the ARC and herd up all the deer around town and ship them up to Kelowna. A positive solution to our deer cull. *bleep* for Tat with regard to the Kelowna vote :)

Seriously though, I really hope this venture succeeds because I think it would definitely be an asset to Penticton and the entire Okanagan.

Good one, Southy. I believe once its floating, its no longer a problem for Penticton, even if it were not to succeed; it becomes the responsibility of the BC Government Inland waterways. Perhaps Dan A. would let it moor at his dock at Trout Creek? (ok...a low blow, I know....I expect a "two-bit" response on that one...lol). I agree though, lets hope it succeeds. ps: there is word that both Peachland and Naramata could also be interested in it.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

XT225 wrote: According to what Mr. Schwab promises though, Penticton wouldn't be on the hook for any costs

Why would both Kelowna and West kelowna turn down a deal where they "wouldn't be on the hook for any of the costs"?
Kelowna was so happy to see it gone from it's shores they "forgave" $80k in debt to the City.

When something seems to be to good to be true inevitably it is.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

XT225 wrote: According to what Mr. Schwab promises though, Penticton wouldn't be on the hook for any costs

cv23 wrote:Why would both Kelowna and West kelowna turn down a deal where they "wouldn't be on the hook for any of the costs"?
Kelowna was so happy to see it gone from it's shores they "forgave" $80k in debt to the City.

When something seems to be to good to be true inevitably it is.

Maybe it sound to good to be true..... could be because of what I mentioned in my earlier post.

Before this vessel can carry passengers it most likely needs to be re-certified / full inspection which my mean dry docked. Wonder how much that could cost & who would have to pay for it.

just a thought, I could be wrong
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

GordonH wrote:
Maybe it sound to good to be true..... could be because of what I mentioned in my earlier post.

Before this vessel can carry passengers it most likely needs to be re-certified / full inspection which my mean dry docked. Wonder how much that could cost & who would have to pay for it.

just a thought, I could be wrong

GordonH, I don't think there would be ANY costs involved to the city of Penticton or taxpayers. Just as you would need to have a plane, bus or taxi certified at YOUR (the owners) expense, the same would hold true here. The owner even said HE would pay for the dock. I don't see any risk involved here by John Q. Public.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

XT225 wrote: I don't think there would be ANY costs involved to the city of Penticton or taxpayers. Just as you would need to have a plane, bus or taxi certified at YOUR (the owners) expense, the same would hold true here. The owner even said HE would pay for the dock.

The new owner freely admits he has NO MONEY so how is he gonna pay for any of this?????
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

cv23 wrote:
The new owner freely admits he has NO MONEY so how is he gonna pay for any of this?????

I found only one article stating that he plans to "raise the money". That's up to him; not the city. Lets try to be positive, eh?

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/86 ... se-on-life
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

I would like to see the FQ based in Penticton as it adds another draw to Penticton, or a reason for visitors to stay a little longer.

He wants a dock by the Kiwanis dock.
Will the Province issue the necessary permits to do this?
Does he lease land from the City for operations (office, parking, land for the dock to attach)
Does he have the money to build it through to completion?
If he runs short of money or part way through construction who picks up the tab? (the taxpayer of course)
He needs an environmental plan to ensure safe fueling

The FQ would need to go through a rigorous inspection.

The idea and prospect of the FQ coming to Penticton is great, but very real matters have to be hammered out and made as ironclad as possible. The history of the FQ in Kelowna, and the CoP's history in drafting deals (think hockey dorms) show they have been inept in the past.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

XT225 wrote:I found only one article stating that he plans to "raise the money". That's up to him; not the city. Lets try to be positive, eh?
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/86 ... se-on-life

It's doubtful he even has enough money to pay for towing to Penticton but hopefully he does so it can become a fixture of Penticton's downtown lakeshore as it rots away and is vandalized just as it did in Kelowna.
Good Luck Penticton !
Is that positive enough for you, eh?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

[/quote]
It's doubtful he even has enough money to pay for towing to Penticton but hopefully he does so it can become a fixture of Penticton's downtown lakeshore as it rots away and is vandalized just as it did in Kelowna.
Good Luck Penticton !
Is that positive enough for you, eh?[/quote]

Boy CV your glass sure is half empty this morning, whats up with that? From what I have read he had the money to purchase it and I think he has a plan to raise additional money. He wasn't involved when the FQ sat at your dock so I see no need to paint him with the same brush. Are you upset because Kelowna is losing this beautiful vessel? Were you part of the other group trying to purchase it before Mr. Shwab obtained it? I see this attitude throughout the Okanagan .. let's see how we can't make something positive happen. Why?? Takes the same amount of energy to be positive, perhaps even less. Should the FQ move forward with the business plan Mr. Shwab has discussed it can be a real economic benefit to entire Okanagan .. we should all jump on board.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

How would the FQ be a draw to Penticton and make them stay a little longer? Penticton is funny.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Static wrote:How would the FQ be a draw to Penticton and make them stay a little longer? Penticton is funny.

Funny...I believe it worked for quite a few years in Kelowna as a draw. Even had dinner cruises if I remember correctly. Penticton has been successful in retaining the SS Sicamous (a wonderful tourist attraction) and two more large tugboats that have lots of history on the lake. No reason why the Fintry Queen couldn't add even more interest to this area and don't forget (those from Kelowna who are negative) it COULD travel the lake between Penticton AND Kelowna, thus both regions would benefit. It is just moorage down here that Mr. Schwab is after. I agree with Southy; stay positive and hope for the best.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

southy wrote: Are you upset because Kelowna is losing this beautiful vessel? Were you part of the other group trying to purchase it before Mr. Shwab obtained it?

Actually I'm just happy that the derelict old hunk of junk will finally be gone from Kelowna and no I'm not now, nor never was, stupid enough to even be remotely interested in buying something that will cost more to scrap than revenue the scrap iron will actually bring.
Again Good Luck Penticton
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

XT225 wrote:Funny...I believe it worked for quite a few years in Kelowna as a draw. Even had dinner cruises if I remember correctly.

You have a good memory as its been quite a while since it was "a draw" or even moved under it's own power. Do you remember Flintstone's, the numerous water slides, Kelowna Zoo and Penticton's Wild Animal Park too? All great attractions in their day, and missed by many, but things who's time came and went.
If the Fintry Queen was in some way historical I could see reason to save/preserve it but it is an old car ferry made up to look like a Mississippi river boat complete with a phoney paddle wheel and cheezy trimmings. What does it now have to do with anything Okanagan related other than another failed tourist trap who's time has clear past.
If the new owner had a different business plan than the one which previously failed numerous times in a city with a larger year round population and more summer tourists than Penticton does then I might see getting behind him. The definition of stupidity is repeating actions over and over again and expecting a different result.

Good Luck Penticton !
Last edited by cv23 on Nov 8th, 2013, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”