Finally, PHA being held accountable

livewire
Fledgling

Re: Finally, PHA being held accountable

Post by livewire »

Apparently the HRT funds can be used by the PHA for 'legal', at any rate, sounds like all future money will be tied up in trust till this is settled.

Another season of no marketing for our city.
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

The President of this group doesn't even live in Penticton full time. He's an Albertan with our tourism money and future tourism in his hands. What a joke!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

livewire wrote:Apparently the HRT funds can be used by the PHA for 'legal', at any rate, sounds like all future money will be tied up in trust till this is settled.

Another season of no marketing for our city.

Where were you able to find out that HRT funds can be used for legal fee's. If you are basing that on Litke's comments in todays paper, I wouldn't be so sure. Perhaps, but perhaps not.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... e/325_2005

Says it is for tourism marketing. I think that is a very specific permitted use.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

Still curious? Why does it not bother people that: First- the president of the "NEW" marketing group (hoteliers) is led by somebody that doesn't even live full time in Penticton? Second - that the expenditures are out of line from previous years? And Third - that the new president doesn't even understand the geographical area and feels the need to ask every winery up Vancouver hill "why are you called the "Naramata Bench Wineries" when you aren't in Naramata". True story! The fact that the Hoteliers wanted to have control of the funds is one thing...but when they put an Albertan in Charge as a puppet because they don't have the "#^*% 's to put one of their own in there...come on now. I have lived here for almost 16years and know most of who is involved and it makes me sick. Yay! You own a hotel! But your old and trying to influence something that is Very Very important to attracting, not only tourists, but businesses and permanent residents (that are way younger than you! ). Everybody grow up! Deal with the fact that change needs to happen and embrace youth instead of being *bleep* off that you are no longer young !! ! And that you should listen to the doctor when he/she says "you need to relax and let it go!" Almost everyone of the group pulling the strings either has their hotel for sale or trying to sell time shares. Maybe...just maybe you should put the money back into your run down hotels and stop taking off down south for 6-9 months of the year! If only one hotel would put the money back in to become a 5 star we would have the generation you catered to that now has money would be more attracted to our awesome town instead of looking at as dried up and old. Of course I'm not eluding to the fact that the owners are dried and old...just their hotels!!!!!
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Yay! You own a hotel! But your old and trying to influence something that is Very Very important to attracting, not only tourists, but businesses and permanent residents (that are way younger than you! ).

I've said it before and I'll say it again - not ALL hoteliers are happy with the PHA and how they have or rather have not been using these funds.

As far as legal fees When speaking with our MLA's office they said that the funds are to be used for external marketing and the expenses related to doing so including staffing and legal fees. Now they may have meant legal fees in a different way, (on occassion a legal department will need to check ad copy etc).

I have some time this afternoon I will see if I can round something up on paper. (Surprisingly difficult to find printed information.)

I don't care who has control of this money, I just care that they start using it for what it's intended for.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

I sent an email to the Minister and she is out of town, will update when I hear back.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

livewire wrote:
As far as legal fees When speaking with our MLA's office they said that the funds are to be used for external marketing and the expenses related to doing so including staffing and legal fees. Now they may have meant legal fees in a different way, (on occassion a legal department will need to check ad copy etc).

I too would interpret the use of funds for legal fee's as in the course of normal business activities. I would not extend that scope to engaging in litigation over the implied breach of contract with the City by the directors. IMO the directors should be ponying up their own money or seeking financial support from like minded members for this litigation and not using marketing funds.
Was there even a vote by the entire membership to pursue litigation?

stormydancer

Post by stormydancer »

I just want to clarity that a) you cannot use contracted funds for legal issues - they are designated for the purposes of the contracted service and b) it would be illegal for the city to have a RFP awarded and then rescinded. When a proponent responds to a RFP, a contract is created. It cannot be changed by either parties. Negotiations can occur based on wording - "funding will be determined by level of service". When the process is complete and a successful RFP proponent is identified, a contract B is created. This is legally binding. If the other business described here was the highest respondent based on the city's RFP criteria, then they can legally sue for damages. How would they know? They can easily FOI the RFP documents and evaluations.

Under no circumstances can you announce a successful RFP winner and then change your mind!

I wonder if the city was sub-contracting out the money or if it was awarded from the province. That would make a difference on the best course of action here...
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think the issue here is that the PHA were not honouring the contract. A lot of money was sitting in the bank doing nothing and when called before council to answer some straightforward questions regarding their performance they had no answers. What we are about to see now will likely be a lot of legal posturing on insignificant technicalities while ignoring the obvious elephant in the room, the PHA's dismal performance record to date.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

fluffy wrote:I think the issue here is that the PHA were not honouring the contract. A lot of money was sitting in the bank doing nothing and when called before council to answer some straightforward questions regarding their performance they had no answers. What we are about to see now will likely be a lot of legal posturing on insignificant technicalities while ignoring the obvious elephant in the room, the PHA's dismal performance record to date.

Well said.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#105996

Wonder what the PHA's excuse for this will be?
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Why am I not surprised at this?

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... ty-meeting

Seems like The City and PHA have been meeting over the last month, with a mediator. They had apparently come to an agreement, and were supposed to wrap it up last night, at City Hall, but the PHA didn't show up.

Starting to think this Appleton guy should pack up and move somewhere far away. Holds City (taxpayer) money hostage, no shows at meetings, and comes across as a complete *bleep*. Who in their right mind would want to do business with this guy???

Delete your LinkedIn account, Robert, and move to northern Manitoba...and don't be calling for any references!
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I completely support Mayor Litke on this. The Mayor is elected and the PHA is not. Taxation comes through representation - if we disagree with a Mayor & council we can vote them out - something we cannot do with the PHA. I hope Litke does what is right for the City's overall tourism industry and that is more then a group of self-interested hoteliers. The will of a democratically elected Mayor and council must prevail over self interest groups.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Just curious,,,,,,,,,, who hired the " Albertan" ???

Return to “Central Okanagan”