Opal Nightclub Closing

ToddT
Übergod

Opal Nightclub Closing

Post by ToddT »

That was quick. Didn't they just get their hours extended? Anyways, looked pretty greasy to me.
http://www.sunonline.ca/News/story.aspx?ID=2075365
acbarry

Re: Opal Nightclub Closing

Post by acbarry »

This is another good win for "Penticton the Retirement Village- A Place to Stay Forever"
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

acbarry wrote:This is another good win for "Penticton the Retirement Village- A Place to Stay Forever"

So how on many occasions did you attend?
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I believe a considerable amount of renos were done in that nite club. Hopefully, it will start up again in the new Year or that someone else will rent it out. Has a bit of a history of renters, coming and going.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

johnhenry wrote:

I don't see what difference that makes. It is known fact that some people, especially younger people, attend night clubs.

I didn't attend once, because it's not my scene. The Mule could still use some competition though.
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

johnhenry wrote:

Thanks Mom, i have only been there about 10 times and i won't stay out past 12am.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

johnhenry wrote:

ToddT wrote:I don't see what difference that makes. It is known fact that some people, especially younger people, attend night clubs.

I didn't attend once, because it's not my scene. The Mule could still use some competition though.

Attendance means everything. If nobody shows up it's just a matter of time.

acbarry wrote:Thanks Mom, i have only been there about 10 times and i won't stay out past 12am.

Not trying to be your Mom. Just seeing if you supported the business.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Strip clubs are a thing of the past. Even Kamloops lost their last one this past summer.
http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2013 ... n-saturday
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

acbarry wrote:This is another good win for "Penticton the Retirement Village- A Place to Stay Forever"

Forever meaning until your dead?
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

It is an aging population
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Symbonite wrote:Forever meaning until your dead?

Symbonite really??? First off, I notice you don't even live in Penticton, so how does this closure really effect you?? And yes you do hae a right to post here. However, it seems some folks have no problem trashing another community without having the facts. Yes, Penticton has an older demographic is that so bad? Every town and city is different and Penticton just happens to have more of an older demo than say Kelowna. It's a known fact nightclubs have a difficult time staying open in Penticton. Is this Penticton's fault or perhaps lack of market knowledge from the investors opening the club. Another question for you Symbonite ... how many times have you visited the Opal since it's opening? Better yet, how many times have you visited a club period in Penticton? The City of Penticton played fair with this ownership .. they received their revised open hours, yet decided for whatever reason to pack it in before they could even be introduced. So you tell me where the real problem is. Yup, we in Penticton might be old .. but I'll tell you what Symbonite ... I'll gladly take living hear until I'm dead compared to say Kelowna.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I think there are many more considerations, especially when it comes to young people anywhere. Things are not as easy as they were years ago when nightclubs were a thriving business. The driving rules have changed considerably, and disposable income is lower with the increase in rents and living expenses.

While nightclubs are fun socially, many young people just can not afford $8 for one drink out. Many of the young people I know are reverting back to the way I remember things as a young adult. They are getting together as groups privately (in home). 3 drinks out equals a case of beer at home, the cost of one meal out equals enough groceries for a group. They play the music they want to hear, games, and if they can't drive home there is always the couch, and they can have fun with their friends without worrying about a stranger ruining their evening.

One can not always blame an aging population, and not the young people either who can not afford to frequent a business that "charges" to have fun. I do have sympathy for a business that struggles financially, the fact remains that many businesses do, and young people are changing their ways around having fun according to economics, this is becoming a fact of life.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Well said Zookeeper. You are absolutely correct.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

southy wrote:Symbonite really??? First off, I notice you don't even live in Penticton, so how does this closure really effect you??

Used to and it doesnt..

southy wrote: it seems some folks have no problem trashing another community without having the facts.

Not trashing it just saying the facts. I know cause i am down there at least 2 times aweek.

southy wrote:Yes, Penticton has an older demographic is that so bad? Every town and city is different and Penticton just happens to have more of an older demo than say Kelowna. It's a known fact nightclubs have a difficult time staying open in Penticton. Is this Penticton's fault or perhaps lack of market knowledge from the investors opening the club.

Yup and Yup and I guess Yup

southy wrote:Another question for you Symbonite ... how many times have you visited the Opal since it's opening? Better yet, how many times have you visited a club period in Penticton?

Hmm well back in the day I went pretty much every weekend...The Element/the mule when it was an actual country bar/ and Nite Moves. Opel no but i do visit the Pawnshow that is where nite moves used to be...lol and the mule once...something like flashbacks...

Im getting older so its not my thing anymore give me a beer at a pub good enough...if i go out anymore....just like the younger people....tend to be at a house with company and BS there....why go out.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

A habit of many is to not stay in one location longer then an hour or two before moving off to a different location. I would pub/crawl all night long. With only one or two clubs here, its an easy excuse to head home early for drinks.

Return to “Central Okanagan”